• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    This deer wandered out in the road in front of me. I got within 25 feet of it with the Gator, and took these pictures. I told the guys it was a piebald deer; however another individual thought it might be a European Fallow Deer that may have escaped from an exotic animal farm.

An wild life biologists on here have an opinion? Based on pictures on the net it could be either. I need to know before I go out with the bow. new deer 1.jpg

Attachments

• new deer 2.jpg
      new deer 2.jpg
      501.3 KB · Views: 83
    Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This deer wandered out in the road in front of me. I got within 25 feet of it with the Gator, and took these pictures. I told the guys it was a piebald deer; however another individual thought it might be a European Fallow Deer that may have escaped from an exotic animal farm.

An wild life biologists on here have an opinion? Based on pictures on the net it could be either. I need to know before I go out with the bow.
    Actual pictures would probably be helpful. :postpics:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

An wild life biologists on here have an opinion? Based on pictures on the net it could be either. I need to know before I go out with the bow. View attachment 308381
    Yeah, I'd say he "ain't from around here" and would hesitate to shoot him. He does look like some kind of exotic.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Second this. Antlers look different than the ones around here.
    iu

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Need a close up on the nose… is there a red glow present?
    when I first looked I thought caribou. But it could be a fallow after looking at pics of them.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Back when Columbus flooded in 2008, an exotic animal farm flooded out with it. The next deer season buddy of mine killed a Sika deer on a bow hunt @ Atterbury. He took it to the DNR office there to check it in and they identified it and told him where it came from. They also let him keep his tag as there is no season on these deer and DNR didn't want them breeding with the local whitetails. I imagine this deer is an escaped animal from an exotic deer farm.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    So far the opinions are running towards a Fallow Deer or a hybrid. Since does not appear to be a whitetail shall we cull it from the property, legally, without a tag?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That is not a whitetail deer.

Edit: That is not a deer. From what I found it resembles a yearling caribou. If you can imagine finding one of those wandering around the woods of Indiana.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom