• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    When my buddy killed the Sika, he was told by DNR that there was no season on that type of deer, and DNR wanted them gone. I would verify with DNR, but you don't want that animal breeding with our whitetail population.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Interesting thread. Brings back memories from 30 plus years ago, when we first moved to Brown County. We seen white deer with some regularity. Conversations happened, just like this thread. Piebald, albino, etc. Then turned to likely escapees from the animal farm down the road a mile or so.

The pictures posted look just like the white deer we seen then.

:)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Back when Columbus flooded in 2008, an exotic animal farm flooded out with it. The next deer season buddy of mine killed a Sika deer on a bow hunt @ Atterbury. He took it to the DNR office there to check it in and they identified it and told him where it came from. They also let him keep his tag as there is no season on these deer and DNR didn't want them breeding with the local whitetails. I imagine this deer is an escaped animal from an exotic deer farm.
    The swamps and farmlands on the Lower Eastern Shore of Md is stone full of Sika deer. They were imported a 100 years ago from Southern Japan.
    They have also been introduced to Texas and Va.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    100% fallow deer. Had a couple running around Ripley County a few years ago. One was hit on the highway and one killed during the park shoot. Friend of mine was feeding it marshmallows out of his hand. Lot of people around Versailles were feeding him,named him Freddie the fallow deer.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That is 100% a young fallow buck. Piebald whitetails still look like whitetails other than the coloration. Also, the antlers and body size and shape are wrong for a caribou.

Top Bottom