Help! I bought bad ammo from a police officer!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Not everyone you meet in the gun community is your friend. Lesson learned.

One day a bird was walking behind an elephant. The elephant (not even aware of the bird) took a poo. The bird was suffocating...
    A cat came along and pulled the bird out of the poop and cleaned him all off...then promptly ate him.
    Moral of the story :

Not everybody who harms you does it intentionally. Not everybody who helps you does it to benefit *you*.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    One day a bird was walking behind an elephant. The elephant (not even aware of the bird) took a poo. The bird was suffocating...
    A cat came along and pulled the bird out of the poop and cleaned him all off...then promptly ate him.
    Moral of the story :

Not everybody who harms you does it intentionally. Not everybody who helps you does it to benefit *you*.
    :laugh:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    LarryC - What you have quoted above deals with firearms. It mentions nothing about ammunition. Look at the link I posted further up and check out that discussion. But please don't purport something is NOT illegal per ATF rules when others have clearly demonstrated that it is. Those people are in the ammunition business (I am not, so I rely on the experts for this). I trust that Andrew knows his business and the licensing requirements.

From my understanding, If I reload ammo and give a box or two to my brother or friend, that is OK. If I TRADE a box or two for some comic books, that is also OK. However, being that I don't have the proper license, I cannot sell my reloaded ammunition for cash.

The law I quoted was in respect to the statement about the OP buying a gun that he intended to resell to "enhance his collection" or as a hobby - I did not address the reloaded ammo "sale" as I didn't look it up.

Obviously if I were selling the gun I would have stated to the buyer that I would "give" the reloaded ammo to him if he "bought" the gun. I believe the statement about not selling reloaded ammo is accurate - but I didn't search up the law on that issue.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And to clear up who reloaded what, he stated the he himself did not reload the ammunition. He acquired, whether he bought or stole them, from the range where he claimed to be range master. He said they collect new spent brass, send it out to be reloaded, and keep it in stock for range use. So he himself did not reload this ammunition.

138 posts later and this little bit of information finally came out ?

Why would you even throw out the person might of stole it ? He stated he told you he did not load it himself, but rather had an arrangement to send out the empties and have 'em loaded.

Now is a little too late to be suspicious of unknown reloads... Prior to the deal being done would of been the time to verify the reloads were loaded by a properly licensed manufacture ( type 06 FFL ), that the Fed excise tax was paid by the manufacture, and that they also carry liability insurance...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The pic of the failed round looked like it fired out of battery. That is a bad deal.

That was my thoughts too. If the brass was previously fired through the Glock with a generous chamber and had the " Glock bulge", if it wasn't ran through completely through a bulge buster die or roller sized, it could very well not fully chamber into the tighter FN barrel.

This is the reason I got out of .40's... I didn't like using the Lee Bulge buster and I could get away from using it if I shot the loads through the Glock again, but they would not fully chamber into other .40's that were tighter...

If this is correct, the officer could very well have had no issues firing this ammo through the Glock. It wouldn't be hard to verify if they are bulged to the point they don't fully chamber in the FN, but at this point I would assume the ammo is NOT safe and have it pulled apart regardless. It still is reloads of unknown origin.

kkoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Still no contact from the seller. Ive just decided Ill have the ammunition disassembled and reviewed at my own cost and either reloaded or destroyed of deemed unusable. Lesson learned. Thanks to those who offered some help. To those who didnt and only demonized my integrity you wont have to worry about seeing me on this forum again. Happy Easter everyone, and I wish you all good luck and fine accuracy at the shooting line.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That was my thoughts too. If the brass was previously fired through the Glock with a generous chamber and had the " Glock bulge", if it wasn't ran through completely through a bulge buster die or roller sized, it could very well not fully chamber into the tighter FN barrel.

This is the reason I got out of .40's... I didn't like using the Lee Bulge buster and I could get away from using it if I shot the loads through the Glock again, but they would not fully chamber into other .40's that were tighter...

If this is correct, the officer could very well have had no issues firing this ammo through the Glock. It wouldn't be hard to verify if they are bulged to the point they don't fully chamber in the FN, but at this point I would assume the ammo is NOT safe and have it pulled apart regardless. It still is reloads of unknown origin.

I have been told that Glocks are a bit "Loosey-Goosey"...............:):

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Still no contact from the seller. Ive just decided Ill have the ammunition disassembled and reviewed at my own cost and either reloaded or destroyed of deemed unusable. Lesson learned. Thanks to those who offered some help. To those who didnt and only demonized my integrity you wont have to worry about seeing me on this forum again. Happy Easter everyone, and I wish you all good luck and fine accuracy at the shooting line.

Don't let the haters get you down. Part of why they go off on you is to help you remember not to make the same mistake next time. I got chewed out early on.

My favorite, however, was when I posted asking for information on dating a firearm. Needless to say, most of the suggestions involved chocolate and flowers.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    ^^THIS^^. I was off the site for a day and see this 12 hours old and there is already 16 Pages of mostly critism.

How many folks preaching/critsizing here have never sent a gun down the road that didn't work properly and omit that little fact when selling or trading it into a gun store? A few more than admit it.

To the OP we all have made bad deals whether with a firearm, trading a car or whatever. It happens just learn from it. It also dosen't matter what people think on your deal to your friend as long as you two are good with it thats what matters. most are probably envious they didn't get a Glock for $300.

Just be more discrete on broadcasting on INGO, not much sympathy on anything here. And as you know the more you try to explain yourself the more it gets twisted by the drive by's!

So :welcome:

FWIW what few lemons I got were traded back from where they came.
    I have NEVER passed along a bad rig to a person, or a different shop. I informed the place of purchase about the problem (properly identified), and they didn't hose me on trade in either :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    It's considered a crime unless you are an FFL dealer.

Last I checked it wasn't illegal to sell one gun for a profit. It's just illegal to sell multiples with the intent of making a living out of it without an FFL. (someone please correct me with IC if I'm wrong) Based on that I see no issue here except that the OP bought unknown reloads and got burned on them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only crime in this story is that you sold a Glock to buy a FN...... !!!

Yup.

I have done some multi-gun/ammo trades/deals with the intent to send some of them on to new owners as part of the package to get what I am seeking.
    No harm in that....really.
    I have done it with guns/cars/motorcycles/hell even go Karts. Make the deal and enjoy you gear. Just do a better job of vetting those you meet at the corner of what and where in the dark to buy guns/ammo even if they wear a tee-shirt that says LEO on it......really.
    Never, ever buy re-loads on that same corner.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I always thought selling reloaded ammunition was a no-no. The maker of the ammunition is responsible for any damages to the person and persons property. Isn't that why it requires an FFL(6 I believe?)? And most likely a pretty good insurance policy?

If he made any profit off of the ammo then the seller is basically producing ammunition without a license and is subject to federal charges. I believe the ATF would highly frown upon hearing someone is producing ammunition without the proper licensing and selling it. I'm sure they would be irritated to hear the ammo is potentially dangerous to the shooter.

Top Bottom