Have any of you started stocking up on stuff for the up comming election?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Do your thing however it works for you. 2013 never affected me, but I found a shotgun was easier to buy and stock ammo than most handguns.(had those bases covered). Learned how to use the Internet to shop and buy. I try to keep a box a week on the shopping list(not a case, box=50rds/25 shotgun, or optional self defense ammo)
    As others, I am happily prepped. Also own enough fixed blade knives to equip a squad of Marines. That is all.
    Get some.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    I love reading all the spending you are doing and all the gloom and doom. Most of the pack rats on this sight are over 55-years-old which means in another 20 years, I'll be attending all kinds of estate sales and garage sales buying ammo, guns and all sorts of goodies for pennies on the dollar from your estates. Brand new still in the package. What a deal.

A friend of mine just purchased such a collection. This old joker croaked and had 1.8 MILLION rounds of rifle ammo and a gun collection that would out do most of the gun shops in the US. It seems he was absolutely sure he would need this ammo "someday". Instead, he's looking down seeing someone else buy his hoard for pennies on the dollar and making a bundle.

Wow. Guess we were raised differently. I'm not 30 yet and I dread the day the older generation is gone. Have you listened to the younger generation? No respect, no morals, no knowledge, no sense of responsibility. Your post would be a good example. There's still a lot of knowledge to be gained from the older generation. At the rate this country is going if they weren't here to fight against the liberals it's hard telling what would happen with the 2A. I'd suggest talking less and listening more. Just my .02

Back to the topic... I don't really 'prep'. We keep supplies like food and water stored in case, but nowhere near the quantity some of you have. I buy ammo with every check but hardly enough to sustain a major event. We've discussed the need to do so, but raising a family on just my income definitely puts a damper on things.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Wow. Guess we were raised differently. I'm not 30 yet and I dread the day the older generation is gone. Have you listened to the younger generation? No respect, no morals, no knowledge, no sense of responsibility. Your post would be a good example. There's still a lot of knowledge to be gained from the older generation. At the rate this country is going if they weren't here to fight against the liberals it's hard telling what would happen with the 2A. I'd suggest talking less and listening more. Just my .02

Back to the topic... I don't really 'prep'. We keep supplies like food and water stored in case, but nowhere near the quantity some of you have. I buy ammo with every check but hardly enough to sustain a major event. We've discussed the need to do so, but raising a family on just my income definitely puts a damper on things.
    Nothing wrong with doing things the way you're doing it. I raised a family (2 actually) and the lion's share definitely puts the roof over head and grub in the belly.
    You're not doing a thing different than some of us old geezers have done.
    I can guarantee you 100% that NO ONE gathered everything in one fell swoop. It takes time, perseverance, and knowing that the survival of your loved ones MIGHT depend on your preparedness now.
    There are NO guarantees of any kind. Natural disasters, terrorism can come in many forms even where you'd never expect it, financial crash could wreak havoc and cause normally good people to act differently.
    I can give you advice as can many here. Only you know what can be done in what time frame.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    Nothing wrong with doing things the way you're doing it. I raised a family (2 actually) and the lion's share definitely puts the roof over head and grub in the belly.
    You're not doing a thing different than some of us old geezers have done.
    I can guarantee you 100% that NO ONE gathered everything in one fell swoop. It takes time, perseverance, and knowing that the survival of your loved ones MIGHT depend on your preparedness now.
    There are NO guarantees of any kind. Natural disasters, terrorism can come in many forms even where you'd never expect it, financial crash could wreak havoc and cause normally good people to act differently.
    I can give you advice as can many here. Only you know what can be done in what time frame.

Thanks. Let's just hope nothing happens soon. I'm pretty lucky (or unlucky, since she burns my ammo up) and with someone who enjoys shooting and is also motivated to prep in case. Balancing needs and wants is difficult sometimes, but she agrees just because it isn't a need now doesn't mean it won't be a need someday.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Do your thing however it works for you. 2013 never affected me, but I found a shotgun was easier to buy and stock ammo than most handguns.(had those bases covered). Learned how to use the Internet to shop and buy. I try to keep a box a week on the shopping list(not a case, box=50rds/25 shotgun, or optional self defense ammo)
    As others, I am happily prepped. Also own enough fixed blade knives to equip a squad of Marines. That is all.
    Get some.

Shotguns are the way to go when you're on a budget imo...

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Several issues, having read most of the posts on this thread:

First, we have a set of Standing Orders in our house: Every month we buy ammo. Period. It's not much and we have it broken down to the week. One week we buy 5.56, the next 7.62x51 the next .45 and the next 9mm. One box only, unless it's a great deal. Every now and again, we'll buy certain other things.

However, looking back at recent elections, I've learned a couple of things: buy what you want as soon as you can afford it. I can remember the election of 2008 when our current president was elected. Almost any military-style firearms were impossible to get, ditto accessories such as magazines, parts, etc.

Sadly, at the time, I had begun building a long-range, accurized AR. I had finally gotten all the parts for the lower together and as the final touch was installing the takedown detent pin and spring when my finger slipped and the detent went flying across the room and into the unknown regions of the carpet. I spent all night looking for that detent pin. Never did find it.

Worse yet, no one. . .NO ONE had parts kits.

In 2008, it was complete firearms and AR-lowers that were the scarcest. Four years later, when people were concerned about a Lame-Duck President eviscerating the 2A, it was parts kits. . .in the four intervening years, people had learned their lesson and small machine shops, everywhere, opened up machining out lowers. Prices did go up, however, with demand. I remember selling a lower I purchased for $70 to some guy who was ecstatic to buy it for $400. Luckily, the whole MagPul thing was going down at the time, so mags were still easier to get than four years earlier, but gun prices, etc. all went through the roof.

If you're truly worried about losing access to certain things, I'd suggest in getting them, now.

As to the poster who made light of people stockpiling stuff. . .well, you may be right. But if something happens and you didn't put some back, where will you get what you need? I stockpile mainly for convenience, 'cuz I promise you that I will have a certain, uncontrollable urge/interest in it when it's not available.

However, at my more advanced age, I have pretty much acquired all that I'll "need" and most of what I want. Now I just need a little (ahem) bit more to be able to enjoy it without the worrying if I'll have enough.

The Professor

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My daughter has instructions on the good friend of mine (INGOer) who will take care of liquidating any accumulation of firearms related assets I leave. Also the % of commision to pay for the service. She is also instructed to deal with vultures aggressively.

Perhaps INGO should should/could offer this as a service? Not everyone would need or want the help, but I would trust INGO to give my wife a fair market value more than I would a random auction house. Of course the best option would be to have a trusted friend or family member value the collection, or simply passing the collection down. But it's clear that that isn't always the case.

I envision a disparate group (3+, 5 or more would be better) of INGO members that would value a collection for the opportunity to be first in line to purchase a firearm(s) at the consensus value. The remaining items could then be offered on INGO at the agreed upon values, perhaps in a dedicated classified section, with the estate retaining final approval of the sale. This would also have the effect of driving new members to INGO, which would (help?) offset the increased liability and risk to INGO.

Just spit balling...

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have to say I started this post about getting parts for a build and finding that a lot of stuff was out of stock. I ordered a barrel and bolt. I called them and they were not in stock. I will get the barrel and bolt in two weeks. That is what I was told any way. The thing of it is that I could have gotten a barrel from Midway shipped the next day for $150 more than I am paying for the one I will get in two weeks. Also the one at Midway is 4" longer. Yes that helps the FPS but it don't help with packing it around hunting. The 6.5 I am building will be used for hunting and carried a lot. The range I want it to shoot to is 200 yards 300 at max.

Jss1956 I have to thank you for putting a fire under my old ass to get my will made out so the like of vultures such as you can't lay a finger on anything I own. It has always been planed for my son to get most of it and the grandchildren get the rest. Not one shell or one spring is to be sold to the likes of you. You will never see any part of what I have put away let alone be able to buy it. The like of vultures such as you is why I am armed.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I love reading all the spending you are doing and all the gloom and doom. Most of the pack rats on this sight are over 55-years-old which means in another 20 years, I'll be attending all kinds of estate sales and garage sales buying ammo, guns and all sorts of goodies for pennies on the dollar from your estates. Brand new still in the package. What a deal.

A friend of mine just purchased such a collection. This old joker croaked and had 1.8 MILLION rounds of rifle ammo and a gun collection that would out do most of the gun shops in the US. It seems he was absolutely sure he would need this ammo "someday". Instead, he's looking down seeing someone else buy his hoard for pennies on the dollar and making a bundle.
    This is the kind of mouth that will get you beaten and robbed (or worse) in case of a "worst case scenario" SHTF.
    I've heard numerous people declare that in case of low supplies or running out of essentials that they will flat out take your possessions away and life means little.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Don't worry so much about it, you should look on the brighter side. Someday you'll be able to get out of that minimum wage job and start making enough money so you can shop at real gun stores and you won't have to rely on things like estate sales and flea markets for your guns and ammo.

If you keep your nose to the grindstone and stay positive, good things will happen in your life, and you won't be so jealous of others who have the things that you wish you could have.

If you only knew....

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If you only knew....

Don't really care to know...

There is much more to life than material things. It doesn't matter what your age or income level. With the attitude you've displayed I wouldn't care to know you at all. You may think you have it all, but you sir are poor in many ways. From here on I'll need to push that special secondary button if I wish to read something you have posted. I don't expect that to happen much.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    I have to say I started this post about getting parts for a build and finding that a lot of stuff was out of stock. I ordered a barrel and bolt. I called them and they were not in stock. I will get the barrel and bolt in two weeks. That is what I was told any way. The thing of it is that I could have gotten a barrel from Midway shipped the next day for $150 more than I am paying for the one I will get in two weeks. Also the one at Midway is 4" longer. Yes that helps the FPS but it don't help with packing it around hunting. The 6.5 I am building will be used for hunting and carried a lot. The range I want it to shoot to is 200 yards 300 at max.

I saw your original post and started thinking about a build myself. I have experienced the same thing as far as parts being out of stock. I had to do some serious internetting (if I can say that) to get the parts I did. Most people here take the long view and see what is coming. I'm buying ammo because the prices are better than they have been for awhile, 7.62x54r not withstanding. I picked up 3 lowers instead of one because I wanted to do a build, but they were $40 a piece so why not get 'em now. Last night I finally got all the parts for one build ordered. I was going to wait for the 1500 in March to get parts for the other two lowers, but the way things are going I may not wait. I was thinking people may be spending tax return money now and it might calm down. Then again, it might not. I remember when my friends that reload told me they couldn't find primers or powder. I see that stuff now so even though I haven't bought a press yet, I'm stocking up at the 1500. I've been saving my brass for the last 4 years. So, do you guys think things will slow down, or is this going to be shrinking supplies until the election?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    We don't just have the election, now. Whether or not you think this one makes a difference, these and other surprises are why we prepare. Not just elections.

Top Bottom