• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    If you’re not too old for it to matter, and you want to move to the country, and not have a mortgage, sell your home and rent. wait out the current housing bubble. And if you’re not opposed to building, keep watch for good deals on land where you want to live.

While you’re renting, use part of the equity you cashed out to buy whatever good land deal you can find. Then start building. You might not have enough cash left from your previous home to finish the new home. Just contribute to the build as you can afford it.

If your standards aren’t high, you can build a “barndominium”. Basically a poll barn with finished living space under the roof. If you’re handy, you can do a lot of that work yourself and save on contractor costs.

It may take a few years before you’re living there. So for old people that might not be as feasible. And there’s a level of sacrifice too. But a few years is worth it if you have years left to enjoy it.
    All good points. I'm 58. Not to old but getting there. I do love the Barndaminium idea. I have been in a couple and found them quite cool. When I'm 59 and a half I will have access to more funds

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I've taken a couple burglary reports in my time and I've never seen a gun safe cut into onsite. Not once. I've seen the whole safe stolen and busted open elsewhere, though. Don't overlook the 99% solution because of the 1% exception.

There you go again, introducing facts into the narrative.
    ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    All good points. I'm 58. Not to old but getting there. I do love the Barndaminium idea. I have been in a couple and found them quite cool. When I'm 59 and a half I will have access to more funds
    Well. It's getting kinda late, but not too late. Oh. And get a tractor. :): I used to run my dad's tractor when I was young. It was part of the chores back then. But now it just feels like fun. I can't imagine many better ways to wash the city off a fella. :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    State farm. Its their dedicated policy for jewelry, furs, guns, etc.
    You only need to provide serials (and photos if you have them) when you file a claim.
    State Farm can suck a fat...well. nevermind. I'm currently shopping for a new insurer. Maybe one who's not eager to drag their political whims into their business.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    State Farm can suck a fat...well. nevermind. I'm currently shopping for a new insurer. Maybe one who's not eager to drag their political whims into their business.
    They have served me well over the years. No excessive increases, pay out easily, etc. :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Loose lips sink ships.

What are the chances of any random house being burglarized, just to see what's there? Without prior knowledge of guns, safes, valuables, etc?

Anyone talking can be the culprit. Could be you or me, our family, our wives, our kids, our co-workers, neighbors, contractors, service people?

Anyone in the know could innocently mention "all the guns" so and so must have? "They have a safe in their garage, a rifle in the corner, a pistol on their belt?" "They often carry guns in and out of the house to the car..."

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Loose lips sink ships.

What are the chances of any random house being burglarized, without prior knowledge of guns, safes, valuables, etc?

Anyone talking can be the culprit. Could be you or me, our family, our wives, our kids, our co-workers, neighbors, contractors, service people?

Anyone in the know could innocently mention "all the guns" so and so must have? "They have a safe in their garage, a rifle in the corner, a pistol on their belt?" "They often carry guns in and out of the house to the car..."

Someone that’s read this venue long enough???!!! Data is Data. (Info)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've taken a couple burglary reports in my time and I've never seen a gun safe cut into onsite. Not once. I've seen the whole safe stolen and busted open elsewhere, though. Don't overlook the 99% solution because of the 1% exception.
    i'll agree with that.
    I was really making a joke to CM.

My shop was broken into by a crackhead 10 years ago. Metal shop, plasma, torchs, metal saws, equipment to move heavy equipment, any tools one could think of.
    About $25,000 taken, nothing locked up in a vault or cabinet was touched.
    He had a few days to take his time, all was hauled out in a 4 door civic or ridden away.

Reactions: Mij

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well. It's getting kinda late, but not too late. Oh. And get a tractor. :): I used to run my dad's tractor when I was young. It was part of the chores back then. But now it just feels like fun. I can't imagine many better ways to wash the city off a fella. :):
    Please not to offend, city boys and farm tractors/equipment gennerally dont mix well.
    Be carefull. Seatbelts and rop bars.
    The arms and legs you save, will be your own.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Please not to offend, city boys and farm tractors/equipment gennerally dont mix well.
    Be carefull. Seatbelts and rop bars.
    The arms and legs you save, will be your own.

Heck, farm hands and equipment don’t mix well, first time I tried my newest mower ZTR Exmark w/rops I tried to circle a tree in front yard, I passed under a tree limb. rops caught on the limb and the front wheels started raising off the ground. If I wasn’t going slowly it would have flipped me and mower on top of me. Could have been a bad day.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Heck, farm hands and equipment don’t mix well, first time I tried my newest mower ZTR Exmark w/rops I tried to circle a tree in front yard, I passed under a tree limb. rops caught on the limb and the front wheels started raising off the ground. If I wasn’t going slowly it would have flipped me and mower on top of me. Could have been a bad day.
    Think about the times before seatbelts, rop bars and cages to sit in.

Reactions: Mij

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hush your mouth sir! Yer making me a hypocrite, (or maybe I am on my own?)

This is a good point. We should be at least somewhat guarded in our online blabbering.
    I mean. I could tell you about all my guns, but it just makes me sad. You see, I was on a canoe in the middle of winter, breaking through the ice on a river. And for some reason, I'm not sure why, but I had all my guns with me. Stop doubting. It was a large-ish canoe. Suddenly the canoe capsized and all my guns went to the bottom of the river. I tried to swim to the bottom to save them, but I'm too buoyant. I haven't seen them since. So I'd like to tell you about them. But it would make me too sad to talk about it.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I mean. I could tell you about all my guns, but it just makes me sad. You see, I was on a canoe in the middle of winter, breaking through the ice on a river. And for some reason, I'm not sure why, but I had all my guns with me. Stop doubting. It was a large-ish canoe. Suddenly the canoe capsized and all my guns went to the bottom of the river. I tried to swim to the bottom to save them, but I'm too buoyant. I haven't seen them since. So I'd like to tell you about them. But it would make me too sad to talk about it.
    :tantrum:

Top Bottom