• ...and so much more!
  • MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Got burglarized today. Ghetto of Lawrence, NE Indy. Near 46th and Shadeland.

Two black dudes broke in the back door. Neighbor's video camera picked them up walking up the street in masks, went straight into my back yard and kicked in my admittedly pathetic back door. Stole my stuff and brazen walked down the street holding it all - incl. 2 ARs! - in their hands in broad 445pm daylight. Nice.

I've been meaning to harden that damned door for years and never did. Now I'm out six great firearms and my Nintendo Switch, at the very least. Still stunned, really and trying to assess things. I feeli gross and violated. Had dry heaves a bunch. Now I've barricaded the door, hoping they come back so I can use the guns they missed.

Also drinking too much and don't know how I'm going to sleep to get up for work in five hours.

The way they came up the street and went in my house, I find that weird. Like it wasn't random. I hate thinking this way, but the only person I don't trust that knew I had guns was the next door neighbor. I'm always careful about checking out the outside for watchers when I load and unload for range trips.

Damned planet. People suck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What good are guns you can't reach immediately upon assault?

HELL, the Lawrence Patrolaman making the report said "none of my guns are secured".
    Ok. But look where it got you. I get that but apparently from your comments there are a few more so that’s what prompted my responses to this.
    If we will be gone for a while especially a work day all the guns are secured. Takes just a minute to do this. And we did. But there was not a gun in every room.
    And we hardened the house long ago but glass will break and entry can be made regardless.
    Brother I feel your pain. But seriously get them secured.
    JMHO.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I get what you're saying, but I don't know how to get a safe into this house. Or how, overall, it's worth it.

Overall it's worth it because you keep your guns. It takes a lot more work to remove a decent safe from a house then just to snatch and walk. While I was overseas for 2 years my buddy kept my gun safe and my power tools. He was burglarized twice, he lost his guns and tools, I only lost my tools. Combine with a monitored alarm to limit how much time they can spend in your house. Cameras can be a deterrent, but not always.

The gun in the house you can get to is the one on/in your belt and a strategically placed long gun as needed.

Theives suck, but like taxes and death, are inevitable. My doors are hardened, I hope they at least slice the **** out of themselves coming in a window. But I've got a layered security system as well.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Sorry that happened. Hard to believe people like that exist.

If money, size, weight are a factor, a non fire rated gun cabinet may work against the casual thief.

On rural king website - Fortress 14 Gun Cabinet GC10-14

If I had the above, I would place a chain looped around it looped through an installed eye bolt sort of setup with padlock. May not stop a dedicated thief but may have stopped what OP had happen.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    The footlocker scene from FMJ is starting to play in my head.

Not a happy thing that happened, but a hard lesson (or 2+) learned here. As a responsible gun owner you need to reevaluate a lot of protocols in your home. My .02

Agreed with above, this is likely someone known to you who sold you up the river.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I had a similar thing happen to me several years back. Guys came in through the back alley, broke in through a window and were just hauling stuff through the back door into a waiting SUV.

I lost two guns that were in a pistol safe but not bolted down properly. One was in the nightstand. They got a long gun that was unsecured in a closet. Two of the guns have been recovered. One I managed to get back, the other is in ATF hell and I may not see it for several years.

I lost more than just guns. They got some cash, electronics, my passport, ammo. Fortunately, my homeowners policy with Liberty Mutual covered the losses and all most everything was replaced in some fashion. But the entire ordeal sucked. Getting one of my recovered pistols back from the Marion County property room was the biggest PITA of all of it.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I recently was also burglarized…… I cannot believe how vulnerable it makes you feel when it actually happens to YOU. Hearing about it on the news or even happening close to home……… doesn’t hold a candle to the affect it has on you when it is at your place.

but on the bright side I DOUBT they will be back to your place unless they saw something they couldn’t get that day and think it is worth a return. Normally it is a one and done. I too hardened my place planning for a return but it just doesn’t make any sense for them to do that. Goodluck.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Got burglarized today. Ghetto of Lawrence, NE Indy. Near 46th and Shadeland.

Two black dudes broke in the back door. Neighbor's video camera picked them up walking up the street in masks, went straight into my back yard and kicked in my admittedly pathetic back door. Stole my stuff and brazen walked down the street holding it all - incl. 2 ARs! - in their hands in broad 445pm daylight. Nice.

I've been meaning to harden that damned door for years and never did. Now I'm out six great firearms and my Nintendo Switch, at the very least. Still stunned, really and trying to assess things. I feeli gross and violated. Had dry heaves a bunch. Now I've barricaded the door, hoping they come back so I can use the guns they missed.

Also drinking too much and don't know how I'm going to sleep to get up for work in five hours.

The way they came up the street and went in my house, I find that weird. Like it wasn't random. I hate thinking this way, but the only person I don't trust that knew I had guns was the next door neighbor. I'm always careful about checking out the outside for watchers when I load and unload for range trips.

Damned planet. People suck.
    “Get out of her my people”

46 shade land.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ok. But look where it got you. I get that but apparently from your comments there are a few more so that’s what prompted my responses to this.
    If we will be gone for a while especially a work day all the guns are secured. Takes just a minute to do this. And we did. But there was not a gun in every room.
    And we hardened the house long ago but glass will break and entry can be made regardless.
    Brother I feel your pain. But seriously get them secured.
    JMHO.
    My tools are unsecured for easy access should I need them. My toys are reasonably secured.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Man I am so sorry to hear about you getting robbed. The violation part I get. It screws with your head and your home your castle is now not secure in your mind. It will take some time. Take some deep breaths and be careful with accusations. I have family that I don't talk to or socialize with or allow into my home as I don't want them to know what I have as they are free talkers to degenerates of society. They might not be directly involved, but their loose lips cause others to salivate and continue crimes. We put targets on our backs by participating here. I don't know how to do it, but many do know how to find us baed on info so they know we have a gun or two in our homes. I hate a damn thief! I hope they catch them and you get your property back. Hang tough.

Top Bottom