• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So what date would you prefer to mark the end of legalized slavery in the U.S.?
    The woke doesnt like Columbus day anyway, so why don't we save some tax money?

Get rid of Columbus day and combine Juneteenth and MLK into the same day to celebrate whenever you'd like?

We're still waiting to hear how much the extra Federal holiday cost us. So why don't we try to save a couple? :dunno:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Leo

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I bet some people here think that Jesus was born on December 25th...

...and due to a time space conundrum, the Pilgrims land at Plymouth on a different day every November that always happens to lend on a Thursday. It's even more complex for Easter.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Get rid of Columbus day and combine Juneteenth and MLK into the same day to celebrate whenever you'd like?

We're still waiting to hear how much the extra Federal holiday cost us. So why don't we try save a couple?
    Whether it's a day off from work is irrelevant. I've never had Columbus Day off.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For many of them they accomplish just as much on holidays as they do on a regular work day.
    I usually work off the clock at least an hour of every day that I'm scheduled to work (as a gubmint employee). I also usually work a few hours on my day off (also unpaid). I've only taken a full week off one or two times in the 11+ years that I've been a gubmint employee. You're welcome. For all the people bitchin' about government employees, apply for a government job. Otherwise, get off my ass and STFU.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Maybe I should start raggin' on everyone I hear about going on vacations with their families and taking 2 or 3 weeks at a time. I mean, I don't get to do that, so that gives me a right to complain, right?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I usually work off the clock at least an hour of every day that I'm scheduled to work (as a gubmint employee). I also usually work a few hours on my day off (also unpaid). I've only taken a full week off one or two times in the 11+ years that I've been a gubmint employee. You're welcome. For all the people bitchin' about government employees, apply for a government job. Otherwise, get off my ass and STFU.
    My aren't we touchy. Where did I say YOU? Are you saying all GS employees have great work ethics and work on their own time?

For every GS employee like you, I have seen a lot more that do the opposite. Quit taking things personally that are not directed directly at you.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

We're still waiting to hear how much the extra Federal holiday cost us. So why don't we try to save a couple? :dunno:
    Ah, the cost of a Federal Holiday, now you're talking my language. (Threadjack: CRAP I have to re-calculate all those factors I learned in 1999 when I became an Analyst. There ain't an average of 20.91 workdays per month now!!)

Cost: lost productivity. Just jam 5 days worth of work in 4 days 11 times/year instead of 10. Compared to NCAA brackets and football pools this is nothing for lost productivity and that is everywhere.

Cost: Holiday Pay. Pretty substantial this year. Way too little time to stop doing what we're doing. Primary and specialty care appointments were on the books. Holidays you know are coming can be planned for. Inpatient, ER etc are 24/7/365/sometimes more.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Um.....the date it actually ended.
    This. But would expect it to continue to be celebrated in TX as it is VERY central to their history.

Or we collectively realize that was then, this is now, and all celebrate independence when we are supposed to on July 2. "you cant see the future if you are constantly looking to the past."

Or do we also now have Susan B Anthony day to commemorate Suffrage too? That way everyone can wallow in their own self pity, disguised as celebration?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My aren't we touchy. Where did I say YOU? Are you saying all GS employees have great work ethics and work on their own time?

For every GS employee like you, I have seen a lot more that do the opposite. Quit taking things personally that are not directed directly at you.
    Sorry to come off the way I did. There were a lot of things that were getting on my last nerve last night and I didn't mean to take it out on you. You're right of course. In any given field of employment, there are going to be hard workers and there will be slackers too. Just human nature I reckon. It's all good. :thumbsup:

As Kelly alluded to in post #190, sometimes that day off means we have to cram in 5 days of work into 4 days to meet deadlines, etc.. And also as he said, that loss of productivity is probably no worse (and probably less so) than people "goofing off" at their jobs in general with things like NCAA brackets, Amazon Prime Day, Cyber Monday, etc..

Bottom line is that when dealing with human beings, some will put in the extra effort to do their jobs, some won't. That's not limited to government employees, but I get that people view government jobs differently than they do public sector jobs (even though poor performance in both have a societal cost associated with them).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not every reason to celebrate needs to be a national holiday, shut down the country and pay people to stay home.

For many years I pitched in with friends for a cake on November 10th to honor those in the US Marine Corp. We would meet at lunch time, a few would stand and sing, someone would be an acting chaplain and say something, and then eat cake. At the end of lunch break, everyone went back to work.

Most things in life do not need an all or nothing situation.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not every reason to celebrate needs to be a national holiday, shut down the country and pay people to stay home.

For many years I pitched in with friends for a cake on November 10th to honor those in the US Marine Corp. We would meet at lunch time, a few would stand and sing, someone would be an acting chaplain and say something, and then eat cake. At the end of lunch break, everyone went back to work.

Most things in life do not need an all or nothing situation.
    Many holidays aren't "all our nothing". I've never gotten Columbus day or MLK day, or Presidents day off; I don't expect to Juneteenth off either.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    People whining about how much time off someone else gets is the very defintion of twisted panties.

By the way, it's knickers in a twist. Panties in a bunch.
    Nah. Just because one person says it a certain way, and then a bunch of people follow that, doesn't mean everyone has to. Dare to be an individual. Be free. Let the panties untwist. Or if you'd rather, unbunch. Or, maybe just start something totally new. Unfurl the panties.

Top Bottom