• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    How do we fight these monsters without becoming monsters ourselves?
    In war everyone is a monster to an extent. Even the non-front-line units are working hard to do their part in assisting the killing.

If a country abides by the laws of land warfare, they are the lesser evil.
    We have lawyers on staff that advise Commanders on ROE and targeting.

Our Medical personnel treated as many enemies as our own. During the Iraq invasion the Iraqi Army prisoners were treated as POWs IAW the laws of land warfare.

The terrorist we and most of the world are fighting follow no laws. They actively engage noncombatants for no reason other than terror.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    We should just be thankful the indiana guard is back from siani. They where there just little over a month ago. Still us troops there watching all this go on from the ops

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Fortunately our government cannot start writing blank checks to Israel until the speaker situation is resolved.
    It would be interesting to know how much it costs to send the carrier group to that region.
    and we sent the Ford. Absolutely the least combat ready carrier we have in active service.
    Sending it,on its first combat patrol.
    If it can keep on top of the lift issues,and keep the jet blast deflectors functional it MAY be able to put half as many planes in the air as a Nimitz class does.

Guess we are about to find out.
    "DOT&E's core concern centers on the maturity of the new technologies installed aboard Ford. "Poor or unknown reliability of systems critical for flight operations, including newly designed catapults, arresting gear, weapons elevators, and radar, could affect the ability of CVN 78 to generate sorties,"(and already has been for 5 years).

This was during last years shakedown(year 4).

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    and we sent the Ford. Absolutely the least combat ready carrier we have in active service.
    Sending it,on its first combat patrol.
    If it can keep on top of the lift issues,and keep the jet blast deflectors functional it MAY be able to put half as many planes in the air as a Nimitz class does.

Guess we are about to find out.
    "DOT&E's core concern centers on the maturity of the new technologies installed aboard Ford. "Poor or unknown reliability of systems critical for flight operations, including newly designed catapults, arresting gear, weapons elevators, and radar, could affect the ability of CVN 78 to generate sorties,"(and already has been for 5 years).
    Don't forget the finicky EMALS system. The Ford class will be awesome some day, sadly that day is not today. Do we have another CBG in the area, maybe in the persian gulf? Or steaming over from the Indian Ocean?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Too bad his tweet was just a screen shot. Wanted to read the source, which I can't find.

It has been known through multiple attacks,going back pretty much to when BLM was founded(according to npr). Rather they made a statement since this weekend I am unsure of.

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    In war everyone is a monster to an extent. Even the non-front-line units are working hard to do their part in assisting the killing.

If a country abides by the laws of land warfare, they are the lesser evil.
    We have lawyers on staff that advise Commanders on ROE and targeting.

Our Medical personnel treated as many enemies as our own. During the Iraq invasion the Iraqi Army prisoners were treated as POWs IAW the laws of land warfare.

The terrorist we and most of the world are fighting follow no laws. They actively engage noncombatants for no reason other than terror.
    That is a very thoughtful response. Thank you. Ultimately though, I'm concerned that the aggressor who has no rules will always have an advantage over the warfighter following ROE. But, there are lines we want to avoid crossing where possible. It's a tough problem.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

It has been known through multiple attacks,going back pretty much to when BLM was founded(according to npr). Rather they made a statement since this weekend I am unsure of.

Yes. I know that they have made pro Palestinian state statements in the past. For me though, there is a degree of difference between being Pro Palestinian state and pro Hamas. That was why I wanted to read the statement for myself because I would think if it was new as the post alluded by saying "we all saw this coming" then it would say something about Hamas. If BLM came out as pro Hamas, then that is another reason to hate what that BLM stands for.

I mean, if Californians or Oregonians what to secede from their states to form their own state or become part of an adjoining state I can certainly understand that sentiment whether or not I disagree with it. Taking up arms and killing people over it is another matter.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That is a very thoughtful response. Thank you. Ultimately though, I'm concerned that the aggressor who has no rules will always have an advantage over the warfighter following ROE. But, there are lines we want to avoid crossing where possible. It's a tough problem.
    The US Marines have been proving that wrong for the past 225 years.
    The US Army has been proving that wrong for the past 248 years.

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”​

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Just like Israel is doing now. Scorched Earth worked on the Nazis, it'll work on these radical Islamists also
    My lizard brain agrees, but I'm not sure we have the will to stop something like that once we start it.

Can you stop genocide by committing genocide without becoming the baddies? At what point do we abandon the ideal of potential redemption?

When I read books written by Marines who fought in the Pacific during WWII, I see a justified hatred for the Japanese and their unforgivable inhumanity. Yet now Japan is a strong ally. They completely reformed their culture. Same with Germany.

Of course this was only after we bombed them into the stone age so you may still have a point.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My lizard brain agrees, but I'm not sure we have the will to stop something like that once we start it.

Can you stop genocide by committing genocide without becoming the baddies? At what point do we abandon the ideal of potential redemption?

When I read books written by Marines who fought in the Pacific during WWII, I see a justified hatred for the Japanese and their unforgivable inhumanity. Yet now Japan is a strong ally. They completely reformed their culture. Same with Germany.

Of course this was only after we bombed them into the stone age so you may still have a point.
    Can you name an allied country that has committed genocide since 1942?

When your country has laws Against such behavior it doesn't happen. Our soldiers get sent to prison for any act they should not have done.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Can you name an allied country that has committed genocide since 1942?

When your country has laws Against such behavior it doesn't happen. Our soldiers get sent to prison for any act they should not have done.
    Turkey is probably borderline there with what they do to kurds

Top Bottom