• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    [video=youtube;STtxUDYjK74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STtxUDYjK74&feature=player_detailpage#t=31 2[/video]

or this, Okinawan kobudo. this form of fighting is said to have started in Okinawa because of weapon restrictions

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nearly never. In roughly 10 years in LE, I've yet to see what I would call an actual knife fight. I've seen gun vs knife, knife vs unarmed, and plenty of stabbings but an actual knife fight? I can't think of one.

Knives are great...and they suck. Nearly every cut is relying on a psychological stop. With bullets we all get "shot placement" or it's a psychological stop until they bleed out. I don't see many stabs to the CNS. If you can cut tendons in the hand or something, sure, physical stop. The one really physical stop I can think of lately was a self defense stabbing where the victim slashed the suspect's belly and the suspect's intestines started to roll out, preoccupying him a bit. Knives are pretty effective and psychological stops, though, the human brain fears it on a more intuitively level than a gun. However someone who fights anyway, you've got a problem. I've talked to guys in the ER with multiple slash wounds who didn't realize they were cut during the fight. The adrenaline counteracted the pain and had little to no affect on the fight.

Personally, I am not a fan of knives for self defense. I believe they require more training to be good with, they are less effective, and suspect that they are less pleasant for jurors if your self defense is questionable and goes to trial. IF you are TRULY good with a knife, then it's like any other self defense tool, you have options that most people don't have. Personally, I'd rather put that training time into firearms or unarmed defense. As I get older, I may look more into stick fighting. A cane fighter is a force to be reckoned with when TRULY good at it.

This. I carry a knife to: cut restraints, stab a BG due to weapon retention, and cut apples

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    After watching some of the videos, perhaps my mishaps with blades are good preparation in case someone attacks me. I know what it feel like to be cut. And cut. And cut.

I also know what a karambit will do if it's really sharp. and not from cutting hunks of pork. Heh.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    As a person who has studied modern pocket-knife techniques, including deployment, for over five years (Michael Janich's Martial Blade Concepts learned from his oldest student), I wholeheartedly agree with the Wave concept. . .HOWEVER:

Do not count on that Wave opening your knive every time. Under stress, it's easy to pull the knife and "miss" the catch on the blade. Be ready to utilize a manual opening method, including one-handed, just in case.

This is akin to practicing a one-handed semi-auto pistol slide-rack. You gotta know how and practice before you need it.

The Professor

You are exactly correct, hell I have had my Super 7 and the ZT0620 open successfully with the wave making the distinctive "thunk" noise only to look at the blade and see the lock didnt have time to activate the blade came open so fast. The only wave opener I have had that is 100% is my custom and that is because Ernie makes the wave catch on those bigger because when he says his knives are fighters he is not messing around.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    ^^ . Agreed. And if you've never tried to deploy a knife under REAL pressure, try it sometime. Especially a folder. If you carry a folder for self defense, I applaud your unflappable optimism. Also agree about the unicorn nature of knife fights in the USA in 2015, vs. stabbings, and on the fact that very few knife wounds end fights quickly. Some have heard me rant about this, so I'll spare the others.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Personally, I am not a fan of knives for self defense. I believe they require more training to be good with, they are less effective, and suspect that they are less pleasant for jurors if your self defense is questionable and goes to trial. IF you are TRULY good with a knife, then it's like any other self defense tool, you have options that most people don't have. Personally, I'd rather put that training time into firearms or unarmed defense. As I get older, I may look more into stick fighting. A cane fighter is a force to be reckoned with when TRULY good at it.

One of the things I would push into my students heads is the fact that if you DO end up using a knife as your primary weapon, you WILL end up in court, even if the Prosecutor dismisses his case with you. I promise you, the family will pull you into civil court.

And. . .what's going to be the first thing they show? A giant representation of the cuts and slashes you inflicted on your attacker. MBC, the style I'm more relying upon for knife/counterknife defense does away with the "gutting" or "bleeding out" techniques. We don't go after a CNS strike because it's damned difficult with a small, concealable knife. Martial Blade Concepts is heavily based upon the Filipino systems and goes for both mobility and "applicability" strikes. In other words, I don't stab or cut at the body of the individual. It's been proven many times that relying upon exsanguination (i.e., bleeding out) from cuts doesn't work. We've all heard the stories of the perp shot 2, 3 or 4 dozen times who runs away from the scene only to collapse somewhere else, later. If that perp can take that much damage and run away with that many holes and cavities in him, it means he still has the ability to do you harm.

However, if I target areas such as the flexor tendons, extensor tendon, bicep, tricep, etc., then the attacker can't hold a knife, extend his fingers, flex his arm or extend his arm, in that order. Better yet, I don't have to get as close to the attacker if I target his extended forearm or upper arm as if I would if I went for his torso. Additionally, cuts to the Sartorius, the Vastus Medialis and Lateralis muscles and the Quadriceps Femoris tendons are designed to alter the structure of the leg, rendering it incapable of supporting weight.

As I've stated elsewhere, I've studied a plethora of martial arts. Most had knife fighting forms or techniques at one point or another. Common techniques included slashing across the forehead to induce bleeding into the eyes of your attacker. Cutting the attacker's throat, severing arteries and airways. Stabbing techniques to the ears to "penetrate to the brain." Cuts across the stomach to (and I quote one of my earlier instructors) ". . .spill his guts out so he'll trip on them. . ."

Your attacker will go to the hospital or morgue. Pictures will be taken. Lawyers will post those pictures up in all their gruesome 4' x 4' glossy glory for the jury to see and get sickened by.

Which would any of us rather have and try to defend: A picture of the inside of an attacker's forearm where you severed his flexor tendons, forcing him to drop his weapon or, at least, be incapable of manipulating it. . .or one of several yards of greasy, pink-blue lower intestines laying on your victims. . oops, sorry. . .attacker's stomach?

Either, or both, may have worked in fending off the attacker, but you'll have a lot of uphill battles to fight. Why not make it easier?

As to the cane, the cane is a wonderful weapon to use and have. One of the great things about a cane is that you're protected by the Americans With Disabilities Act in having one. You can even fly on an airplane with it. Just be ready to answer the only question the TSA is allowed to ask "Sir (or Ma'am), do you use this cane as a prop?" . . .or. . ."Do you use this cane to prop yourself up?" Any other questions might be insensitive.

I've flown with my cane (a Canemasters' Fighting Cane, designed to optimize the cane, it'self as a weapon). The flight attendants will ask if you want them to hang your cane up. You can refuse and take the cane to your seat. One warning, though, you cannot sit in the Emergency Row seat with a cane (remember, you need it to help with your handicap or disability). But, at least you're on a plane with weapon you can use to defend yourself.

The Professor

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    After watching some of the videos, perhaps my mishaps with blades are good preparation in case someone attacks me. I know what it feel like to be cut. And cut. And cut.

I also know what a karambit will do if it's really sharp. and not from cutting hunks of pork. Heh.

As I'm reading through this thread, thinking to myself, "All this talk of knives and their cutty/slashy/woundy, and no Rhino?", here he comes.

I feel ever so much better with input from our resident ER regular :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One of the things I would push into my students heads is the fact that if you DO end up using a knife as your primary weapon, you WILL end up in court, even if the Prosecutor dismisses his case with you. I promise you, the family will pull you into civil court.

The prosecutor doesn't have to dismiss his case if you're never arrested. I've had several self defense stabbings, including the gut spilling one I mentioned, where the guy was questioned and released and never charged. I've no idea if he was sued civilly, but I suspect not.

I agree that the pictures and that I suspect jurors react differently to stabbings than to shootings. I can't prove it, though, and even after sitting through jury trials of shooters vs stabbers it's only a theory on my part.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have spent some time with some serious knife training. Here's a couple things that rubbed off on me:

A "good" knife attacker is not going to show me the knife at 21'. First indication of a "knife" attack maybe getting punched up close, and then notice "oops I'm bleeding." Hence premium on alertness or SA, keeping suspicious people at distance with the south-Narc style "managing suspicious contacts" and the like. Don't assume any seemingly fist-or-open hand attack is limited to fists or open hands. (This does not mean I can just start shooting because I assume the attacker has a knife -- it does mean that a "fist-only" fight tends to get handled differently than "knife attacks.")

If attacked with a knife, I have to deal with the knife first. Trying to fend off a knife attack with one hand and drawing with the other doesn't work. It doesn't matter if I kill him with a gun immediately if he has gutted me and arranged for me to die slowly by bleeding, sepsis, or maybe I'm lucky and get to wear a colostomy bag forever. I have to either make distance, lock up the knife (hand), land a hit that staggers or shuts down the opponent, or do something that provides enough of a gap for me to then draw a weapon and finish the fight or escape.

I can't run backwards as fast as everyone else can run forward. Backing up is bad idea -- can trip, it puts me on his rhythm, can't make distance. Sideways, forward at 45 degree, or even direct counter attack. This is very hard to remember, backing away from danger is really ingrained. But it's still generally a bad idea.

Just because I am stabbed (and notice it) doesn't mean I have lost. God will tell me when I am dead. Until then, keep fighting.

If you want to have real fun, have TWO people with knives attack you.

p.s. Now with my arthritic knee I am much attracted to the idea of canes for SD as well. I am going to have to look into this seriously.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    p.s. Now with my arthritic knee I am much attracted to the idea of canes for SD as well. I am going to have to look into this seriously.

Something else to consider is the versatility of a blunt weapon. A blade is deadly force no matter what, and anywhere I can pull a knife from I can pull a j-frame from. A cane or sap, though, gives you more options. A swift poke in the gut with a cane will result in less paperwork and scrutiny than a quick stab in the gut.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    If I may interject here, and I do realize I'm new to the forums, we have to keep an eye on the realistic. How often do "knife fights" occur? I'm not talking about gang fights or prison/jail incidents. I mean honest, mano-a-mano, unchoreographed, squared-off knife fights?

They happen about as often as old-west-style one-on-one gunfights/duels. Not using this as THE definitive collection of real-life incidents, but go look at YouTube and pull up videos of real knife attacks.

Having a Kali/escrima expert attack you is frightening. Once he goes into a replicating flowdrill that he's (or she's) practiced tens of thousands of times, yeah, he's going to slice and dice you. Even against another kali expert, both fighters are going to walk away looking like they tried to tongue-kiss a giant shredder.

While videos like this are cool to watch and do the job they were made to do (frighten and scare and make you feel as if your training was incomplete or incapable of dealing with this scenario), they're about as realistic as my chances of a date with Jessica Alba (unless she likes bald, old, broke guys).

Being in EMS they happen quite often actually. At bars, at house parties or on the corner. Lots of people are to poor to get guns, almost anyone can get a 1$ knife or box cutter. Hell, even a kitchen can be used to great effect against a person with a gun, seen it all first hand.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Being in EMS they happen quite often actually. At bars, at house parties or on the corner. Lots of people are to poor to get guns, almost anyone can get a 1$ knife or box cutter. Hell, even a kitchen can be used to great effect against a person with a gun, seen it all first hand.

Are you talking stabbings or actual knife fights, as in both people are armed with knives and attempting to harm each other? I've seen plenty of people cut, almost no knife fights.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Perhaps I should have been clearer and more specific: Rather than "knife fights," maybe I should have said "Knife Duels." Some guy walking up and stabbing or attacking another person with a knife is not a "duel," nor is it when only one person has a knife against an unarmed opponent.

The Professor

jlutzcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2015
    Searching
    That video is great. Tactic shared in the video are worth checking. To combat for self defense purpose I believe on that video mentioned ways are highly effective. Since knife have better advantages then gun, but if you have knowledge to act wisely then gun can be a great survival option for you.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    A small blade is MUCH easier to deploy and use in a clinch/ground situation than a gun. It is also reliable as to repeat use when compared to a gun (contact shooting induces malfunctions a LOT).

One of the big reasons is to compliment firearm retention. If my dominant hand is hindered because I am keeping a forearm or elbow lock on my firearm, I can deploy a small knife with my support hand to create space or establish a dominant position to transition from.

The bottom line is that guns are just hard to use when the fight has already started up in your face.

Excellent post!! Bravo!! I couldn't agree to this more. An edged weapon is an excellent secondary tool especially when it comes to firearms retention.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Yeah... Unless I was murdering someone, eliminating sentries, etc. a knife would NEVER be my choice of primary defensive tool.

Gun: way more reach. Scarier to idiots. Draws more attention, which can result in assistance. Mostly way more reach.

Cane/Baton/Ubrella/Stick: more reach, less liability, can be employed at the outset if you have some minimal training on takedown striking as it isn't automatically lethal force unless you are bashing about the head and shoulders willy nilly.

Sturdy Flashlight: keeps you out of fights, less reach but similar in use to a stick.

Ive been cut; it ain't fun. I don't ever want to be in a knife fight. Even if you are twice as good as the other guy, you will still likely get cut. I was lucky in my encounter, as my reaction to being "punched" was to trap the guys arm and wrench it. I have no illusions that if I hadn't, I would have been dead or spending the night in the ER instead of having my late mother stitch me up.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom