• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Cane/Baton/Ubrella/Stick: more reach, less liability, can be employed at the outset if you have some minimal training on takedown striking as it isn't automatically lethal force unless you are bashing about the head and shoulders willy nilly.

My EDC Umbrella:

kingsman-35-sc-bad-luck-wtf-watch-the-film-saint-pauly.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Consider the common choke hold. …

Change that to an encounter with Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu Bad Guy who gets you in a triangle or armbar trapping your shooting hand/arm. …
    Great examples. Thanks. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

… As I get older, I may look more into stick fighting. A cane fighter is a force to be reckoned with when TRULY good at it.
    Funny you mention that. I’ve been thinking about the same thing recently. Coincidently, the happy truck showed up with a copy of Janich’s Martial Cane Concepts a couple of days ago.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Oh, Hi! Rhino! It's a voice from the past! :runaway:

The Professor
    (I'd PM both of you with the details, but I still don't have 50 postings, so that's not an option for me. Suffice it to say, my wife and I were the ones who set up the original IDPA club there at Riley CC.)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh, Hi! Rhino! It's a voice from the past! :runaway:

The Professor
    (I'd PM both of you with the details, but I still don't have 50 postings, so that's not an option for me. Suffice it to say, my wife and I were the ones who set up the original IDPA club there at Riley CC.)

The original, or the one that actually lasted a few seasons (yours)? Gary G did it first!

Where he heck have you two been? The last I heard you were in Colorado selling commemorative firearms?!

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Having very recently been involved in a knife attack, this thread is very interesting. Some parts make me laugh and some are on point. EVERY situation is vastly different, I'm extremely thankful that I have the training that I have. If not, I'd be taking a dirt nap right now, or at a min have spent a significant amount of time in the hospital.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Having very recently been involved in a knife attack, this thread is very interesting. Some parts make me laugh and some are on point. EVERY situation is vastly different, I'm extremely thankful that I have the training that I have. If not, I'd be taking a dirt nap right now, or at a min have spent a significant amount of time in the hospital.

1. Where have you been?
    2. Glad you're okay!
    3. We need the whole story!

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    What an incredible coincidence that would be eh? (Otherwise, it'd just be creepy.)

Hmmm, it DID ship from Evansville. . . .

Did you look at the feedback left for you by the buyer? Did you happen to notice anything, I dunno, IN GOish about it?

The Professor
    (Don't worry, it is just an interesting coincidence. . I own the bookseller from whom you made your order. . .I noticed your comment about ordering the DVD and since I'm the lowest price on Ebay and Amazon I looked and found that you had, indeed, purchased it from us.)

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    The original, or the one that actually lasted a few seasons (yours)? Gary G did it first!

Where he heck have you two been? The last I heard you were in Colorado selling commemorative firearms?!

Well, I thought we WERE the original one. We shot USPSA there for several years. Maybe we were the first OFFICIAL IDPA club (the 2nd in Indiana after N. Porter County IDPA). We did last, what. . .3 or 4 years before we had to move?

Yeah, we moved to CO to work with that company. It went rather well until the owner made some really bad investments. After that, I started selling books and DVD's on the internet. We just recently moved back to take care of my mother, who's getting into her 80's.

Looks like you're doing rather well for yourself!

The Professor
    (My apologies to the Mods. I will try to get to my 50 so I can send this stuff via PM's as soon as possible).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, I thought we WERE the original one. We shot USPSA there for several years. Maybe we were the first OFFICIAL IDPA club (the 2nd in Indiana after N. Porter County IDPA). We did last, what. . .3 or 4 years before we had to move?

Yeah, we moved to CO to work with that company. It went rather well until the owner made some really bad investments. After that, I started selling books and DVD's on the internet. We just recently moved back to take care of my mother, who's getting into her 80's.

Looks like you're doing rather well for yourself!

The Professor
    (My apologies to the Mods. I will try to get to my 50 so I can send this stuff via PM's as soon as possible).

Welcome home!

Both USPSA and IDPA have grown in Indiana since your tenure. As you know, no one ever volunteered to continue the IDPA club at RileyCC, but who knows what may happen in the future.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    Just happened upon this topic. The original video that was posted has made it's way around the net and has been discussed to ad nauseam. While it's fun to watch and probably even fun to do, it surely doesn't reflect reality. There are just too many variables during real knife attacks to make some of those things work. It's just another case of applying martial fluff to a very serious and potentially lethal situation. I honestly can't figure out why some of these guys think it's a good idea to put videos like this out there and give people misguided information or bad ideas. It's near as bad as the video circulating of guys (supposedly "instructors") performing disarms with live weapons.

There has been discussion about MBC and other similar knife-use systems that focus on biomechanical cutting and other more intricate methods of using a knife for self-defense. While I have nothing against these system the issue is that many of these methods have not been proven to work during real situations that generally provide intense adrenal responses and loss of fine motor-skills. Not to mention the common understanding that assailants rarely respond as we hoped they would, even when efficiently injured with a knife. A knife is no different than a gun. Both are lethal force tools best used for lethal force situations. Attempting to "disable" an assailant through the use of biomechanical cutting with a knife is equivalent to trying to use a firearm to target the limbs or just "shoot to wound". Neither philosophy is very sound.

There is nothing wrong with carrying a knife as a primary defensive tool or as a back-up. However, as was previously mentioned, people need to understand the limitations and most importantly they must not dilute themselves into believing that in-fight access of a weapon is as easy to perform as many of these youtubers would have you believe. The best tool is the one that is immediately accessible the moment that it’s needed. If it’s a close quarter assault and you think you will have time to deploy and engage, you need to step back and take a hard look at reality. Spend some time pressure testing the theory with average unpredictable role-players and find out for yourself. Incorporate adrenal response drills and find out what is truly viable and want isn’t.

In regards to how knife assaults truly happen…this can be verified with general statistics as well as the various video clips that are posted on YouTube and elsewhere. While ambush assaults can and do happen, they are not the most common type of knife assault. Generally speaking, especially here in the US the majority of knife assault include brandishing of the knife as a means of manipulation to scare or coerce the victim into some kind of compliance. While they may not deploy the knife at a distance of 21 feet, it’s not uncommon for them to deploy at some distance prior to engaging their victim. With that in mind, it’s important to note that the Tueller Drill / 21 Foot Rule was a by-product of law enforcement training, whereas the assailant would commonly engage an officer and brandish the weapon prior to the assault. Sometime it may be means to “suicide by cop” other times the assailant had every intention of walking away unharmed. Regardless of why it happens, we know that it does. In fact I just recently saw a video being passed around FaceBook of a police officer being attacked in this manner and he actually fell down while incorrectly back-peddling. Luckily he was able to discharge a couple of lethal rounds before falling down. The point is that we must understand the realities of these types of attacks before we can truly embrace appropriate responses.

Steve

Top Bottom