• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Time for some more inspiration to the OP for the long-slide DW's (though not the model you're pining for). I imagine in some pistols, the 10mm recoil might not be comfortable for extended sessions, but the long-slide models smooth it out somehow. I had to get a little more grip, and the Hogue rubbers made it feel real nice:

View attachment 240969

More grip as in more real estate? Needed thus the Hogue grips?

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    More grip as in more real estate? Needed thus the Hogue grips?

The Hogue grips do give more real estate, but mainly I just find them more comfortable for the 10mm. They're a little more cushy, and seem to spread out the recoil between my fingers, and I just feel more balanced with them. I only tried them because the factory grips were a little aggressive, combined with the fairly sharp front strap checkering. I hate to admit, my hands are not as leathery tough as they used to be. The Hoagues were an inexpensive way to try something different, and I found I liked it.

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    I own a Glock 40 which will do for now. Great pistol BTW. One of the ones I really want cost several thousand dollars. Wasn't quite ready for that yet. I will get one though. Sooner than later, probably. :thumbsup:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    The Hogue grips do give more real estate, but mainly I just find them more comfortable for the 10mm. They're a little more cushy, and seem to spread out the recoil between my fingers, and I just feel more balanced with them. I only tried them because the factory grips were a little aggressive, combined with the fairly sharp front strap checkering. I hate to admit, my hands are not as leathery tough as they used to be. The Hoagues were an inexpensive way to try something different, and I found I liked it.

Thanks. I guess I am kind of the opposite I really like 25 lpi. How is the recoil compared to. 45acp?

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I had a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm (version 2) that I sold to another INGO member when I moved here from Idaho. I do regret letting it go, but it was replaced with a Wilson Combat 1911 which I think is a better made handgun. However, the 10mm is a great round and if you reload as it gives you some flexibility. Though, if I'm going to hunt with a handgun it's not going to be in 10mm. I prefer big bore revolvers for that job.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Other than for a range toy, I just don't get 9mm in an 1911. I mean, it's the handgun equivalent of a drag queen to me. A 1911 is supposed to be in .45 ACP. Or .38 Super. 10mm actually has more business being in a 1911 platform than 9mm, as the 10mm was envisioned as an improvement over .45 ACP by Col. Jeff Cooper, a noted advocate of the 1911 platform.

I'm not really a 1911 guy, so maybe I'm off base on this. But I carried one in the army, and plan on buying a couple in the future. Not for carry, just for range fun and general enjoyment of owning them. They will be in .45 ACP. For the same reason that if I ever buy a Dodge Challenger, it will not be the V6 model.
    Why the hate for a "range toy?" I shoot more at the range than anywhere else, by several orders of magnitude. For "business" use, I've got several other toys, but they are really the safe queens. I'd take my .44 mag revolver if I was going handgun hunting. I've got several better (smaller/lighter/higher capacity) options for carry.

As far as 1911s, I've got them in both 45acp and 9mm. My DW 9mm gets fired the most of anything I have. 10 rd magazines made it the perfect IDPA gun. The steel frame just absorbs all recoil and it has been flawless in operation.

Haven't read the entire thread yet, but OP I suggest getting whichever one makes you drool more! The aesthetics of a gun are a large part of the appeal (just as with a car) and if it makes you smile when you pick it up, it will enhance the shooting experience.
    --Rick

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why the hate for a "range toy?"
    I clearly said "other than for a range toy," so not sure where you are getting that I hate a range toy. I don't "hate" a 1911 in 9mm, I'm just not personally a fan. Just seems wrong to me, that's all. Shoot what ya want.

:)

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I clearly said "other than for a range toy," so not sure where you are getting that I hate a range toy. I don't "hate" a 1911 in 9mm, I'm just not personally a fan. Just seems wrong to me, that's all. Shoot what ya want.

:)
    OK, hate was too strong a word. Just somewhat seemed you were dissing range toys, but... tone of the message doesn't come through on the forum (mine included). I guess we have a similar idea that I won't use my 9mm 1911 as a "business" gun. IF I am carrying a 1911 it will be in 45!

It seems we are both in agreement to shoot what makes you happy! I'm just glad there are so many different ideas of what that is so I have too many choices!

--Rick

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Another point to consider. Glock 20 can take extra wolf barrel and your are good to go for 40 if you need to save a few bucks. 10mm legal for deer here in indiana. That was my excuse for getting one. Plus I was on a trip with remote possibility of bear and/or cougar. Covered!!!!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Another point to consider. Glock 20 can take extra wolf barrel and your are good to go for 40 if you need to save a few bucks. 10mm legal for deer here in indiana. That was my excuse for getting one. Plus I was on a trip with remote possibility of bear and/or cougar. Covered!!!!
    No ****** for me

Top Bottom