• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Jan 11, 2011
    Hey, isnt' that like toe-may-toe vs. toe-mah-toe? Po-tay-toe vs. po-tah-toe. Let's just call the whole thing off.

Da Bing

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    TECHNICALLY....it is supposed to be "break"....indicating its function which is to break the typical direction/flow of gases...hence it is an action/verb.."to break".....

the term "brake" is a noun describing a physical object used to somehow inhibit movement such as a car brake or motor clutch.......therefore a muzzle brake...SHOULD be "break"....but a suppressor could technically be referred to as a "brake" because it is slowing down (inhibiting) the gases

sorry...I had to go all Ph.D there for a second.....lol

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    actually though i think either one could be arguably "correct".....making it just a matter of opinion really

the english language is truly a love/hate relationship

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hmmm I never really thought about it and I have seen it both ways many times on forums. All of my manufacturer catalogs spell it brake though.

mk2ja

Master
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    TECHNICALLY....it is supposed to be "break"....indicating its function which is to break the typical direction/flow of gases...hence it is an action/verb.."to break".....

the term "brake" is a noun describing a physical object used to somehow inhibit movement such as a car brake or motor clutch.......therefore a muzzle brake...SHOULD be "break"....but a suppressor could technically be referred to as a "brake" because it is slowing down (inhibiting) the gases

sorry...I had to go all Ph.D there for a second.....lol

You have a Ph.D.?

You said, "the term 'brake' is a noun describing a physical object used to somehow inhibit movement".

As in… possibly… a device affixed to a muzzle to inhibit its movement during firing?

actually though i think either one could be arguably "correct".....making it just a matter of opinion really

the english language is truly a love/hate relationship

It really isn't a matter of opinion in this case.

The spelling of "gray" or "grey" is a matter of opinion.

A muzzle brake is not a muzzle break.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You have a Ph.D.?

You said, "the term 'brake' is a noun describing a physical object used to somehow inhibit movement".

As in… possibly… a device affixed to a muzzle to inhibit its movement during firing?

It really isn't a matter of opinion in this case.

The spelling of "gray" or "grey" is a matter of opinion.

A muzzle brake is not a muzzle break.

In process

the term brake is a noun describing a physical object used to inhibit movement......"inhibit" is the action of slowing down or restraining....hence why I said a suppressor could be referred to as a brake because it is slowing down the gases.....whereas a muzzle break/brake is all together changing the direction of the gas and so not "inhibiting"..but nice try in logic/discredit

my point of it being a matter of opinion is in the theory that the english language is ever evolving (i.e. slang, etc) and so using a verb and a noun interchangeably is somewhat becoming common place in society today (Facebook=noun, "Facebook me") This makes it a matter of opinion on which you choose to use as so (interchangeably)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    if you choose the literal meaning of the grammatical category of the word itself....then you would use "brake"...because it is a noun......on the other hand, being a noun its specific definition is NOT clearly what the object in question is doing...that would belong to the word "break"

mk2ja

Master
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    In process

the term brake is a noun describing a physical object used to inhibit movement......"inhibit" is the action of slowing down or restraining....hence why I said a suppressor could be referred to as a brake because it is slowing down the gases.....whereas a muzzle break/brake is all together changing the direction of the gas and so not "inhibiting"..but nice try in logic/discredit

my point of it being a matter of opinion is in the theory that the english language is ever evolving (i.e. slang, etc) and so using a verb and a noun interchangeably is somewhat becoming common place in society today (Facebook=noun, "Facebook me") This makes it a matter of opinion on which you choose to use as so (interchangeably)

if you choose the literal meaning of the grammatical category of the word itself....then you would use "brake"...because it is a noun......on the other hand, being a noun its specific definition is NOT clearly what the object in question is doing...that would belong to the word "break"

Wow, dude. You're really acting like you see yourself as a whole lot smarter than everybody else.

Both brake and break are nouns and verbs.
    "I need to replace the brake on my bike's front tire."
    "Drivers who brake abruptly may get hit from behind."
    "Let us break bread together."
    "The break in the load-bearing wall led to the building's collapse."

A word existing as both a noun and a verb is nothing new to the English language; it shouldn't be associated only with new words like Google or Facebook. Here is a list of a bunch of such words: Words That Are Both Nouns And Verbs Vocabulary Word List - EnchantedLearning.com

If you want to get into really interesting stuff, there are even words that change from noun to verb simply by pronouncing it with different syllable emphasis. Second Language LLC. English Nouns and verbs: same word, different accent

Listen, it really isn't worth arguing whether break and brake are interchangeable when referring to the device installed on the end of a muzzle to reduce muzzle rise during firing. They aren't, but if you'd like to use them as though they are, feel free.

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Here's an interesting question…

Those of you who have been on a heavy jet, such as you might take for a flight from Indy to Florida, think back when you landed and it got really loud and the plane started slowing down. We know that this isn't all done by the brakes on the wheels. Heavy jets often employ a technique of redirecting the gasses they expel to slow the craft.

Would that be an engine break? Or perhaps an engine brake?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Actually I would like to rescind my desire to bludgeon Peoples with a Dictionary, I think a Thesaurus repeatedly to the Forehead may be what I need to start looking into...

GMack_1

Marksman
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    "Brakes" are on good trucks. Good "Breaks" are at work (when you can sqeeze in a thity minute one without the bosses noticing).

I don't care what you call it, but that thing on the end of my AR is a "flash-hider"!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Here's an interesting question…

Those of you who have been on a heavy jet, such as you might take for a flight from Indy to Florida, think back when you landed and it got really loud and the plane started slowing down. We know that this isn't all done by the brakes on the wheels. Heavy jets often employ a technique of redirecting the gasses they expel to slow the craft.

Would that be an engine break? Or perhaps an engine brake?

neither....it's a thrust reverser;).......

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    A muzzle brake is used to inhibit the movement of the muzzle. So, it's a muzzle brake.

To accomplish this inhibition of muzzle movement, it may act upon the gasses in a manner not precisely defined as braking.
    This is no biggy, since we're not calling it a gas brake.

I still voted for Bacon. :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Wow, dude. You're really acting like you see yourself as a whole lot smarter than everybody else.

Both brake and break are nouns and verbs.
    "I need to replace the brake on my bike's front tire."
    "Drivers who brake abruptly may get hit from behind."
    "Let us break bread together."
    "The break in the load-bearing wall led to the building's collapse."

A word existing as both a noun and a verb is nothing new to the English language; it shouldn't be associated only with new words like Google or Facebook. Here is a list of a bunch of such words: Words That Are Both Nouns And Verbs Vocabulary Word List - EnchantedLearning.com

If you want to get into really interesting stuff, there are even words that change from noun to verb simply by pronouncing it with different syllable emphasis. Second Language LLC. English Nouns and verbs: same word, different accent

Listen, it really isn't worth arguing whether break and brake are interchangeable when referring to the device installed on the end of a muzzle to reduce muzzle rise during firing. They aren't, but if you'd like to use them as though they are, feel free.

Not trying to act as though I'm smarter....

I also never said that they such words are NEW to the english language...simply pointed out such words' existance and simply explaining the difference for those who may not realize/understand the differences in the words themselves...the Ph.d comment was intended to be humorous/sarcastic, not arrogant

agreed it's not worth arguing over...as has already been pointed out you can use either one because it doesn't fit the definition purely of either one....thanks to our language's complexity...you can use either one

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I love seeing our community getting smarter...

And watching the hair on the back of their necks bristle is fun too..

And really, the whole point of this exercise was to have another reason to

VOTE FOR BACON!!!!

Top Bottom