• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    If you watch the video and listen to the Chicago superintendent he's obviously a liberal blaming the gun. They call it a straw purchase and it came from Don's, but it was bought by his girlfriend back in 2012. Has he had it for 2 years and just never gotten in trouble or did he just recently take it from her. Who knows. This guy was a life long criminal. Bottom line is he wasn't supposed to have a gun and he got one and shot several people in Indy, shot 2 cops in Chicago and killed his sisters boyfriend. Wasn't the guns fault. Gun used in Indy, Chicago shootings purchased legally - TheIndyChannel.com

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If his girlfriend knew he couldn't own one and bought it for him wouldn't that qualify it as a straw purchase? Does Don's do any other type of sales?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you watch the video and listen to the Chicago superintendent he's obviously a liberal blaming the gun.

From the article:
    "That firearm, if it is the same gun used in Indianapolis, is responsible for three shootings in Indianapolis, one murder in Chicago, and the shooting of two Chicago police officers," McCarthy said.
    That certainly sounds like blaming the gun.

If his girlfriend knew he couldn't own one and bought it for him wouldn't that qualify it as a straw purchase? Does Don's do any other type of sales?
    So, what are the odds she is prosecuted if true?

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    So, what are the odds she is prosecuted if true?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they will find a way to prosecute her. I am in no way defending anyone here, if she bought the gun 2 years ago, were they together then? And if he had the gun the whole time how did he not use it during that two year period? I think they will have a hard time proving that one but I am fairly certain they will try as two police officers were shot. I do feel terrible for the police officers that were shot and am glad to hear they will live and recover.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    News reports I've seen included statements from neighbors who say they heard Brown boasting that he had guns. If one of them was willing to testify to that, it could be problematic for the girlfriend.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I wish they would prosecute more people who break these laws but they won't. They constantly let these guys walk or plea bargain with them when it comes to guns. Then the liberals rise up and want more gun laws that will only inconvenience the law abiding. The criminals don't care. We had an instance recently in our shop where it was a straight up straw purchase. I called the ATF agent I deal with and told him what was going on and he told me he could not do anything about it and obviously use my own judgement(we declined the sale of course) but that they were not allowed to do anything or give us advice after fast and furious. So we have someone dead to rights and breaking the law but hands are tied because Eric Holder and his merry band of goof balls screw something up and therefore we are unable to bust people in the midst of committing the crime of buying a gun for someone who chances are isn't supposed to have one. I bet if you look at this guys arrest record he was probably busted several times with guns and never was convicted, got a slap on the hand, or if prosecuted it was allowed to run congruent with his other convictions at the time. But hey more laws are the answer for sure(sarcasm) LOL That will take care of the problem(more sarcasm)

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I love the quote "Our violence problem is a gun problem in the city of Chicago". Yep, sounds to me like he is blaming guns for the violence in Chicago. "This is another example of straw purchasing and leads to violence on Chicago streets". There we go again, guns lead to violence. How can anyone take officials like this seriously when they spew this type of garbage?

OOOhhhhh.... It makes my head hurt.....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds to me like there is some confusion over who purchased the gun. At the top of the article it says this:

"At a press conference Thursday afternoon, Chicago Police Superintendent Gary McCarthy said investigators believe the sister of suspect Daniel Brown purchased the firearm for him."

And then further down it says this:

"McCarthy said the gun used in the Chicago shootings, and believed to have been used in the Indianapolis incidents as well, was legally purchased in Indiana by Brown's girlfriend."

Either way, if it's proven, somebody should be in trouble. Seems like they could have come to a consensus before publishing the article or making statements though. Or maybe he's from West Virginia and his sister IS his girlfriend... :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If she bought the gun and gave it to him as a gift it's not a straw purchase I don't believe even if he couldn't own a gun. I'm sure there is other law that makes it illegal to supply a gun to a non proper person. Straw purchases are if he had gave her the money and sent her in for the gun. Right?
    This guy is ****ed anyways.

once again dons does a disservice to gun owners and public safety. Is it that hard to figure out that most of your clientele are probably bangers or supplying guns to criminals? But he just loves to sell guns right? Couldn't be about the money.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    As much as I dislike Don's guns, placing blame or pointing fingers at them is really not fair. As long as they are following the laws of being a FFL (keeping the log book up to date, making sure your customers are filling out the 4473 correctly, and running NCIS background checks.....etc), what are they (Don's) suppose to do? Start profiling their customers? This could have happen with any shop , not just Don's. While Don's may have a higher rate of these type of incidents than other shops due to their locations and the type of people they attract, how would you suggest they (or any other shop) operate to prevent this from happening? :dunno:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    As much as I dislike Don's guns, placing blame or pointing fingers at them is really not fair. As long as they are following the laws of being a FFL (keeping the log book up to date, making sure your customers are filling out the 4473 correctly, and running NCIS background checks.....etc), what are they (Don's) suppose to do? Start profiling their customers? This could have happen with any shop , not just Don's. While Don's may have a higher rate of these type of incidents than other shops due to their locations and the type of people they attract, how would you suggest they (or any other shop) operate to prevent this from happening? :dunno:
    Well if they profiled they'd be out of business.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Are you really gonna play devils advocate for dons guns? Really?

I'm not playing play devils advocate for anyone. Let me reiterate, I don't like Don's anymore than most people on here. He is a terrible voice for 2A, and we all know about his insane prices. What I really want to know is what can be done to keep this from happening, not just at Don's, but all shops as I'm sure this has happened with other shops besides Don's.

Top Bottom