• ...and so much more!
  • COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Did some cleaning yesterday. I found that having a magnifying light to shine in to the parts really gives you a better snapshot of just how much gunk needs removed. Frequency is based on rounds and even your EDC needs a good swipe down due to lint and dust.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just outta curiosity, I wonder of those that don't clean after every shoot, EDC 1911s.

EDIT: not badmouthing 1911s, it's where my gun cleaning obsession started.
    I don't EDC my 1911 but when it was my main range pistol, I shot approx. 200 rounds per week out of it. I did my detail strip 1-2X per year. Otherwise, maybe every 800 rounds or so, I field stripped it, ran the bore, wiped it off, lubed and back together.

I have no issues with my 1911. It has always ran fine.

Actually when I mentioned upthread about my detail strip, it was pertaining to my 1911. I don't detail strip my polymer pistols that often.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just outta curiosity, I wonder of those that don't clean after every shoot, EDC 1911s.

EDIT: not badmouthing 1911s, it's where my gun cleaning obsession started.
    I only clean when I get enough saw dust build up. I do lube all my carry guns once a month religiously.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I think it's important to not just clean your firearms, but to carefully inspect them. I look for loose screws, wear in any spots that haven't shown wear before and just anything off or different.

Many firearms have their own peculiarities that need to be checked.

Lubing an area where there is fouling is just providing a carrier for any abrasive particles to migrate to other places they could do harm.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I make a real effort to clean my AR15s after every outing with a complete cleaning of the BCG and Bolt and Gas Tube. Same effort on my pistols and revolvers. Just use less abrasive methods and high quality cleaners and lubricants and the firearms will last a lifetime or two. My two cents.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I usually clean after about 5 range trips.
    .22 semi auto's more often, as .22 ammo isn't as clean burning as center fire ammo (IMO).
    I used to clean them after every trip, I think that stemmed from the Marine Corps.
    I later (in life, much later) figured out, that in the Corps we were over cleaning, sometimes just to keep us busy and to learn attention to detail.
    Uncle Sugar has trained armorers and plenty of spare parts to make repairs.
    Most of us do not keep spare parts on hand. I do not "over clean" any more, just like I don't take my car to the car wash every time I drive it.
    YMMV. My firearms are properly cared for and lubricated properly too.
    Rule of thumb on an AR BCG, you should be able to see a finger print, but you don't want it dripping wet with lubricant.
    M1A's require both grease and oil, for those that do not know, so do M1 Garand's.

I was on a range trip earlier this summer, and an older gentleman was shooting his M1 Garand and having jamming and feeding issues.
    I looked at it, it was dry as a bone. Lubed it properly and no more malfunctions.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I cleaned them every trip to the range for about the first 3 trips.

now, rimfires I clean before they act up depending on when they've acted up before. Mostly just scraping the chamber clean.

centerfires I clean when they start leaving a mess lol. I'm also in the lube-more-than-I-clean camp. Carry gun gets the lint wiped off every couple weeks.

I do know some guys that have slightly more frequent malfunctions at the range. Along with years between cleanings, they also use loads very light and dirty that don't have enough oomph to overcome the dirt. They're just barely hot enough to function when the gun's clean.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Depends on the gun, got a Glenfield mod. 60 squirrel gun I got when I was 17, have never cleaned it. Fixed 4 power cheapo scope. Shot unknown thousands of rounds, still shoots inch and a half groups at fifty yards. My Smith revolvers, every time I shoot one. Others…..hit or miss, clean’em when they go into the dark hidey place, I may never see them again.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Depends.....

Match rifle, service rifle & semi auto 22lr, I wipe the bolt, lube the bolt every 200 - 300 rounds deap clean (bore snake only) every 800 to 1000 rounds.
    I have rifles that I clean once a year because of low round count.
    Clean them when accuracy falls off unless you enjoy cleaning your guns

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    These threads always make me realize there are probably a number of gun owners who simply enjoy cleaning their guns more than they enjoy actually shooting them.

To each their own.

I used to be a 'clean them after every range trip' type, simply because I was new to guns and I liked the interaction. I liked spending time stripping them down, seeing how they worked, how parts fit together. It was fun and somewhat educational. I enjoyed the process. But the longer I've owned guns and the more I shoot the less enjoyable that cleaning process has become. These days I rarely do much beyond a quick wipe down of the internals and a patch or two through the barrel every thousand rounds or so.

Field strip, quick wipe down, lube as needed and fire away.
    Good point there, Now that I think of it, learning the mechanical aspects of firearms and enjoying the craftsmanship in the old guns is a big part of the enjoyment for me that comes with the "after every shoot cleaning."

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    I used to clean mine after every trip to the range. Then it turned into every couple. Now it's every several depending on the gun. If they're in storage for a long time I'll just run some clenzoil through them to keep them free of rust. Most guns don't need frequent cleaning, it's just an enjoyable relaxing thing to do sometimes

Blazer90

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    I am an old guy who likes to have as much time in the garage as possible. I have a Harley that needs cleaned after nearly every time out of the garage. So of course this logic is used on my guns.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I usually quick wipe down, and run a bore snake after every session.
    "Deep" cleaning gets down when I feel like it.
    Sometimes when I'm bored, I'll start cleaning just have the feel of rubbing my guns.
    I know, getting weird here.
    But most of the time, a quick wipe down and that's it.

Top Bottom