• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Blenderson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2022
    Northwest Indiana
    It depends on how frequently I go shooting. These days it's pretty infrequent so I clean after every range visit. When I used to have more free time I would go every 3-5 range trips.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I will do a 6 month heavy application on the Older Mil rifles like the Mosin etc if I don’t shoot em through the year.
    Other than that after every range trip or the day after.
    On corrosive I will rinse out the barrel and action with a water tube contraption I made and then follow with a proper cleaning after getting home.

Donovan48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Tippecanoe County
    I grew up thinking you had to clean guns before the sun went down if you fired them at all. Probably from all the WWII vets at the ranges whose experience was mostly with corrosive ammo. Then I got into black powder and that reaffirmed my obsession with prompt cleaning. Nowadays I keep my carry guns clean and lubed. Everything else I am more relaxed about. I always wipe out and oil the bores after firing and wipe down the outside, but other than that I just do a thorough cleaning when they look like they need it.

Life Member

Marksman
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Goshen
    I wipe the outside off after handling my guns I only clean them when they quite working. Saves lots of time. It's llike going fishing and not keeping them. No cleaning. What the hell is a fouling shot?

Donovan48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Tippecanoe County
    I wipe the outside off after handling my guns I only clean them when they quite working. Saves lots of time. It's llike going fishing and not keeping them. No cleaning. What the hell is a fouling shot?
    Serious competition bullseye shooters, which I am not anymore, will usually fire a first shot as a throwaway before firing a group because the first shot through a cleaned and oiled barrel would likely be a flyer that spoils the group. More of a problem with rifles, but it was still a common practice among bullseye pistol competitions.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Powder combustion, no matter how clean burning, produces corrosive products that I would rather not let sit inside a barrel of any type of firearm. I'll clean even after firing only one shot.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    Powder combustion, no matter how clean burning, produces corrosive products that I would rather not let sit inside a barrel of any type of firearm. I'll clean even after firing only one shot.
    A valid point - so do you field strip and clean or just run a bore snake down the barrel?

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I clean at the end of the relevant hunting season. Everything will get a thorough clean and lube for the 6 months or so of storage until summer. I will add a cleaning if it acts up. My favorite 22 needs cleaned every 200 rounds or so or it will fail to feed/eject, everything else could go forever without a cleaning. I just do it because months of being idle can turn into years when life takes over.

Top Bottom