• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Not me. Overly frequent cleaning will actually increase wear over time (cleaning is often abrasive in some way). Also, if I’m not seeing a degradation in accuracy or reliability, why would I want to ruin a good thing?

I cleaned my G19 the other day for the first time in I don’t know how long. Literally years. And I really only did so to install an SCD/“Gadget.” I’m probably due for some new springs soon, but it’s never given me a problem. Proper lubrication is more important than being squeaky clean, IMO. So I keep my stuff appropriately lubed and send it.

G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    I clean every time I shoot. There isn't a good reason not to and good reasons you should. Powder residue between moving parts is more abrasive than a gun solvent and brush will ever be. Build up can make parts not mate up as they should. I've "repaired" numerous guns over the years, because their owners didn't clean them, by cleaning them to make them function again.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I usually do, but don't feel as obsessed by it as I used to be. I always give it a good wipe down and freshen the lube. But a full cleaning, probably every other time out these days.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I clean every time I shoot. There isn't a good reason not to and good reasons you should. Powder residue between moving parts is more abrasive than a gun solvent and brush will ever be. Build up can make parts not mate up as they should. I've "repaired" numerous guns over the years, because their owners didn't clean them, by cleaning them to make them function again.

I think in reality that @edwea is closer to the truth. A lot of it depends on varying factors, such as the overall complexity of the gun (action type, how close the tolerances are, etc.), finish type, if it’s easily replaced or a more rare heirloom, etc. I probably should have quantified my answer a bit as I do have a few that get much more regular attention than others. But the vast majority of my firearms are the “heavy use” type (ARs, Glocks, bolt guns) that have proven themselves as fully capable of functioning for thousands and thousands of rounds without measurable detrimental effects without cleaning, hence my comment. :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I used to clean after ever time out. Meticulous cleaning, polishing and lube. I also used to inform people when they got in my car to keep their feet on the floor mats, no eating and no drinking.

Now I do a field strip clean A) when it starts getting other areas dirty like my range bag, holster, clothing, etc. and B) when it malfunctions due to being dirty.

Just yesterday I was looking at the muzzle of my M&P and noticed the blue marks due to me using Blue Bullets in my reloads.:thumbsup:

Other than that I will do a detail strip and clean 1-2 times per year. When I do a detail strip it is very thorough. I get every spec of dirt and grime gone. I wash the polymer pieces in Dawn dish soap to get them squeaky clean, and I use dental picks to reach any tiny crevices that might have a spec of dirt. I soak and scrub all components, polish if needed and properly lube as I assemble. When I am finished, other than wear due to use, they look like brand new firearms.

.22's get cleaned more often than centerfire firearms.

I am finding as I age, I get a bit more relaxed with certain things.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....clean after every shoot, my preference, everyone else can do as they wish far as I'm concerned.....I wonder, at our shoots seems the same people always have issues. Are these the guys that don't clean their guns?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    .I wonder, at our shoots seems the same people always have issues. Are these the guys that don't clean their guns?
    Could be. Or it could be the gun. It is something that can be run through an 8D or 5 Why process.

I usually run tests with my firearms when I purchase them. I run them without cleaning until I start getting malfunctions. I make a note that so and so firearm is good for X number of shots before it is necessary to clean them.

And if I screw up and missed a cleaning and start having malfunctions due to lack of cleanliness, I do a quick field strip, wipe it down and add some lube while at the range. After that it will run the rest of the day. I just be sure to clean it when I get home.

On several guns, they run so long without cleaning that I get tired of the "ooze" getting everywhere, I conceded defeat to the test and clean them. I have a shotgun that I hunted ducks with as a kid. Never had one issue with it. Then I started using it to shoot Trap. I realized how little I actually shot that firearm when it was used strictly for hunting. Though with a hunting firearm I clean after every outing. I started having the bolt not lock open after about a dozen rounds of Trap. I shot Trap 2X per week. I cleaned it once every two weeks and it was fine.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Just outta curiosity, I wonder of those that don't clean after every shoot, EDC 1911s.

EDIT: not badmouthing 1911s, it's where my gun cleaning obsession started.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just outta curiosity, I wonder of those that don't clean after every shoot, EDC 1911s.

EDIT: not badmouthing 1911s, it's where my gun cleaning obsession started.

Nope. I carry a 1911 and gets cleaned about the same as everything else. I hate cleaning guns!!! Mine haven’t been detailed stripped in years and they are probably growing hair by now. Trust me they will work. (Although I do need to take them apart.)

Most handguns are fine with a quick field strip, punch the bore, wipe down and re-lube every few hundred rounds. You don’t need motor oil because it saves $0.10 and you don’t need some high dollar whiz bang Super Lube. Oh and stop trying to put a drop of something on the gun. If it is a moving surface oil it, everything else get a can of one shot or rem oil to protect it. I have never seen a gun not work from over lubrication.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    guns that get shot once a year, cleaned before putting away, guns that I am going to shoot everyweek(trap shotgun, sig 226) cleaned after 3-4 trips to the range. had my first jam the other day from not cleaning my high standard 9 shot rev that I use to shoot rats with rat shot. a build up of residue in the cylinder pushed the case back when the shot shell opened up, jamming the cylinder. lesson learned

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    These threads always make me realize there are probably a number of gun owners who simply enjoy cleaning their guns more than they enjoy actually shooting them.

To each their own.

I used to be a 'clean them after every range trip' type, simply because I was new to guns and I liked the interaction. I liked spending time stripping them down, seeing how they worked, how parts fit together. It was fun and somewhat educational. I enjoyed the process. But the longer I've owned guns and the more I shoot the less enjoyable that cleaning process has become. These days I rarely do much beyond a quick wipe down of the internals and a patch or two through the barrel every thousand rounds or so.

Field strip, quick wipe down, lube as needed and fire away.

Top Bottom