• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk 357 (purty) in mint condition. Guess what .... came back stolen out of a vehicle in Florida!

I did some checking of my own and found that everything match the stolen gun except the caliber. I put it back in the leather case, handed it to him, and we talked about shooting ranges and other guns we both own.

So are you saying it was stolen... or that it did not match the caliber and therefore it was not the same gun reported?

And yeah, I'd be surprised if someone walked in and got arrested for having a serial # checked. That would be a bit ridiculous.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I personally know of an officer who took a gun to check if it was stolen. He told the person that it was indeed stolen. The officer then used the gun to pay a debt of the officer. Apparently, the gun was not in fact stolen because the recipient had me double check the status of the weapon years later when the officer found other trouble over other "confiscated" firearms.

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    So are you saying it was stolen... or that it did not match the caliber and therefore it was not the same gun reported?

And yeah, I'd be surprised if someone walked in and got arrested for having a serial # checked. That would be a bit ridiculous.

Wasn't same gun, the radio operator said it was stolen because the make and serial number came back as a hit. I pulled the hardcopy and found the calibers were different. The guy was pretty happy about that :):

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Wasn't same gun, the radio operator said it was stolen because the make and serial number came back as a hit. I pulled the hardcopy and found the calibers were different. The guy was pretty happy about that :):

But if the make and ser# matched wouldn't that in fact be the stolen gun? I've never heard of guns of different calibers being given the same ser #. I would think the caliber was just recorded wrong. :dunno:

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    But if the make and ser# matched wouldn't that in fact be the stolen gun? I've never heard of guns of different calibers being given the same ser #. I would think the caliber was just recorded wrong. :dunno:

Depending on the year of the weapon (older guns have short serial numbers), make, model, country of manufacture, there can be duplicate serial numbers. That's why it's important to know all the details of your weapon so you can accurately report it if it ever gets stolen.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN

Somebody could always exchange a 9mm barrel and mag for a .40 S&W for example. Still wouldn't make it any less stolen if it were indeed hot.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    hotgunz.com, they do not ask for any personal info, you just put the serial number in the search bar and it will tell you if it has been reported stolen.
    HotGunz Stolen Firearms Database here is the link.

Let me know if this works. I'm not trying it. I know where all my stuff's from. Besides, I sold it all.

I had a cop buddy one time tell me that once you click the button on the NCIC database, and it comes up stolen, it had to be confiscated. Don't know the truth in that, but whenever you have a run in with a CO, they'll check the weapon you have with you. I think it's even free----for awhile.:D

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've used it a few times, just to see what would happen.
    It does not ask for any personal info. If you read the info on the website it tells you how it works.

Top Bottom