• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maniox74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Franklin, In.
    hello everyone!! does anyone know if there is a way to get guns checked to see if their stolen or not and not get stuck with a posession of stolen property charge nor have to rat on your best friend that took guns for payment of construction work knowing they didnt have the money and that i would buy them from him so he cant get them checked either due to felony charges from a couple of bar brawls. i just for some reason dont trust the people he got them from.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Let me see if I have this right........

So, you have either already bought or are considering buying a gun or guns from a person who cannot legally own them. This person, in turn, knowing it is illegal for him to own them, took them as payment of a debt thinking that you, thinking they might be stolen, would buy them from him so he can recover the money due him. Thereby, he gets paid for his work and, counting on you to not rat him out, dumps on you any responsibility for the possibility that the guns are stolen.

If the above is not true and neither you nor he has already taken possession of the gun or guns, be a real friend and tell him to avoid the deal at all cost.

If the above is true...........you have just developed a whole new definition of "best friend" and perhaps you should dump him in favor of a bondsman and an attorney. :twocents:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    If the guns come back clean, you won't have to explain much of anything. If they are listed as stolen, then you'll want the chain of custody to reach as far away from you as possible. I don't suppose there's a paper trail of receipts that lead back to the people your friend obtained them from?

Per your original question, you'll want to protect yourself so have the local PD check them. Chances are there's no record on file, meaning if they were stolen they were not reported or the owner's couldn't supply serial numbers.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    If you walk into any law enforcement agency to have those guns run and they come back stolen, YOU are going to jail. They won't listen to any friend-of-a-friend crap. A perp in the hand is worth more than any number in the bush.

Stay out of this.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    The search thread is better idea than the police station, but push comes to shove you could just "find" it. They'll take it, but if its not reported stolen you'll get it back.

maniox74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Franklin, In.
    well he's got the guns cause i haven't bought them from him yet and he still has work to finish and usally it's not a problem cause he gets a reciept but this time he took them without getting a reciept for them first or even talking to me which he usually does talk to me first. but i would also like to know for in the future a place to check when ever i buy something used it just seems like a good idea since there are more thefts and home and vehicle breakins than ever in central indiana. i know i go to jail if i walk in and have them checked even with a reciept. been down that road before with a gun purchased from a gun store that i bought it from that turned out to be stolen and i still ended up with alot of problems but eventually got cleared up thank goodness.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    So your buddy the "felon" is in possesion of firearms, that may or may not be stolen? And you are discussing this on an open forum......good luck.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    well he's got the guns cause i haven't bought them from him yet and he still has work to finish and usally it's not a problem cause he gets a reciept but this time he took them without getting a reciept for them first or even talking to me which he usually does talk to me first. but i would also like to know for in the future a place to check when ever i buy something used it just seems like a good idea since there are more thefts and home and vehicle breakins than ever in central indiana. i know i go to jail if i walk in and have them checked even with a reciept. been down that road before with a gun purchased from a gun store that i bought it from that turned out to be stolen and i still ended up with alot of problems but eventually got cleared up thank goodness.

Be careful when dealing with guns, Make sure you get a DL number & a receipt;)

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    If you walk into any law enforcement agency to have those guns run and they come back stolen, YOU are going to jail. They won't listen to any friend-of-a-friend crap. A perp in the hand is worth more than any number in the bush.

Stay out of this.

Don't listen to Liberty, he was not given officer discretion in Cincinnati. Send me a PM and if you come down to me (about an hour from Franklin), I will run the numbers. You WILL NOT be arrested if you bring them in to me and they come back stolen. I will keep the guns in the hope of finding the rightful owner(s) though.

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Funny thing... just had a guy stop me today as I walked out of the department. He asked if I would run the serial numbers on a handgun that was given to him by a friend. The handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk 357 (purty) in mint condition. Guess what .... came back stolen out of a vehicle in Florida! No prone, cuffs, or beating! Told him we have to make a case report and check with the autorities in Florida. Hell... I did some checking of my own and found that everything match the stolen gun except the caliber. I put it back in the leather case, handed it to him, and we talked about shooting ranges and other guns we both own. Oh... and i never even asked to see his LTCH :dunno: I must be slipping in my age :):

Gonna get my JBT card revoked!!!! :laugh:

I have never heard of anyone getting cuffs slapped on them for bringing/turning in a stolen gun to the police department. Just my :twocents:

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Ok guys Im calling shenanagins and alphabet police on this one. Though I have always wondered if you just walk in a nd have it run. Fankly I would want to have it run so it could get back to the ower it was taken from if stolen. If I ever get a gun stolen from me I know Im gonna be all sorts of pissed off. Id be praying for its return with out any bodys on it. Thats what I would be mad about personally.

Top Bottom