• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Firearms on state property: HB1143. Constitutional carry: HB1144.
    Please start contacting your Representatives, Senators, and leadership to get these bills heard.

Last edited:

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    HB 1144 ..... Synopsis: Handgun license repeal. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Makes conforming amendments.

Whoooo Hoooo, I might finally be able to carry my 1911 instead of my 1851!!

.... wait.... I might be able to carry my 1911 AND my 1851... BETTER!!

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    1107 looks like a good one. The idea is to allow optional training to be used to gain reciprocity with other states. I don't know which states will recognize it, if any, but it's a step in the right direction.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    1107 looks like a good one. The idea is to allow optional training to be used to gain reciprocity with other states. I don't know which states will recognize it, if any, but it's a step in the right direction.
    This bill specifically states that it applies to the 4 yr. ltch (doesn't mention applying to the lifetime ltch). Although I prefer constitutional carry, if the IN ltch had an optional training requirement and a photo on the card, it whould be recognized by more states than it currently is.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I disagree, it's slippery slope. On top of that, ISP gov't bureaucracy has a track record of being quite poor at logistics and privacy. Just look at what a cluster... this laminated license issue has been. The privacy issue is a bit more stealth in that our LTCH is now tied to the driver's license database without us ever giving approval for such.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    This bill specifically states that it applies to the 4 yr. ltch (doesn't mention applying to the lifetime ltch). Although I prefer constitutional carry, if the IN ltch had an optional training requirement and a photo on the card, it whould be recognized by more states than it currently is.

Presumably it applies to the 4 year one because the lifetime option is an other blocker to reciprocity in some states.

I disagree, it's slippery slope. On top of that, ISP gov't bureaucracy has a track record of being quite poor at logistics and privacy. Just look at what a cluster... this laminated license issue has been. The privacy issue is a bit more stealth in that our LTCH is now tied to the driver's license database without us ever giving approval for such.

I don't see the privacy issue with this. Are you mixing this up with 1029? In 1107, the LCTH applicant would have the option of having their license marked to indicate that they have done a training course. Other states which currently can't extend reciprocity due to their training requirements might then be able to make an exception for Indiana licensees who have this endorsement (for want of a better word).

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Very slippery slope.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    HB 1144 ..... Synopsis: Handgun license repeal. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Makes conforming amendments.

You mean, we'll no longer be considered to be criminals, with our government-issued card serving as an affirmative defense to our crime, merely for exercising a natural, God-given, and constitutionally protected right?

I'm all for it!

Reading through the bill, it simply repeals all references to criminalizing carrying a firearm without a license, and all references to issuance of licenses.

That latter part may be problematic, as it could impact our carry reciprocity. I don't see any provision for an Alaska-type license issuance (to preserve the Alaskans' reciprocity when out-of-state). I might have to give Jim Lucas a call and inquire about that.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Also, I just realized: if HB 1144 passes, I won't need purple for this:

"I heard a rumor that Indiana is doing away with the lifetime LTCH."

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So, I spoke with Rep. Lucas today, and we discussed HB 1143, HB 1144, and another bill that should post today or tomorrow.

Regarding HB 1144, my primary concern was with the loss of reciprocity if Indiana moves to constitutional-only carry, with no provision for issuing resident permits. He indicated that his intent was to start with as clean of a state as possible with the legislation, knowing that, should the bill even make it out of committee, it would go through the amendment mill. He mentioned that, even if the bill passes as-proposed, we would still have the option of a Florida or Utah permit, if reciprocity is needed.

I do think that maintaining reciprocity is of almost critical importance. (It will be great to be able to carry without permit in Indiana, but it would suck to lose my ability to carry in the vast majority of the 33 (soon 34) states in which I can currently carry with my Indiana LTCH.) But I understand and support where Rep. Lucas is coming from. Constitutional carry is a huge win, and even if a token permit for reciprocity isn't added as an amendment, it can be addressed later.

Rep. Lucas also mentioned another bill that he submitted, that should post in the next couple days: as he explained it, it basically provides indemnification from liability for businesses that follow state law and allow patrons to carry in the public areas of their businesses (i.e. it's the Screw You MDA Kroger Bullies bill). The implication is two-fold: it protects businesses from liability should something happen (steals MDAs thuunder), but it also at least *implies* that businesses that post incur some manner of liability for the patrons, when they deny those patrons the ability to exercise their right to defend themselves. (That was my take, anyway.)

Top Bottom