• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Sorry to hear the news. Almost 16 years is a good run.
    Just called the vet. In order for my wife to be there too, they don't have an opening until next Tue.
    Over a week away, I told them I'd take it, but we may not need that much time.
    He's got some mobility issues with his hips, but beyond that, he's not suffering.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    He's pretty much quit eating and drinking for over a week now.

Same thing, she was just wasting away. She was always under 5lbs., slim, so she had nothing to go on.
    All of her favorite foods she just didn't want to take.
    Hand feeding and she would just have a few bites here or there.
    We gave her some of the high calorie paste as well to get her to perk up, she just wasn't interested.

Earlier this summer we would go on walks with our others, do a mile and a half loop, no problem.
    She would run the yard and fence line at home.
    As the year went on it was half a mile and pick me up, and she would only go out by the barn and back at home.
    Then it was down to "carry me" for the walks by the fall and she stuck close to the deck at home and couldn't make it up the steps.
    My cat Leia was sticking close to her, like she did when Dory was fading a few years back, she knew.

She was at the point of stumbling and falling when going from her bed to the water dish, we knew we had to put her to rest.
    Did she know it was her last time getting to sleep in the bed with us?... getting a drink?... going potty outside and touching grass?... last car ride?
    It was truly horrible taking her in, she was smart and trusted me... I feel like ****. Don't mean to be morbid, it's just my mindset right now.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Wow, under 5lb. She didn't have hardly any to lose.
    My dog has been just at 50lb ever since he was grown. Last visit to the vet a few weeks ago and he was 42lb.
    I can feel he's less than that now. He's sleeping a lot but still mobile. Like you, we've tried all his favorites and then some.
    It makes you feel like crap, wishing your dog wouldn't wake up in the morning. But we'll take it one day at a time until we can get him to the vet.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A friend of mine told me dogs are here to teach kids about death. I take the death of my dogs harder than some people, and I don't mean people I don't like, but family and friends.

Not sure what that says about me. I am sure it ain't good. It is; however, the truth.
    We had to have our 4 year old GSD put down 3 years ago last Thursday. Honestly, and I feel guilty saying it, but it was the worst grief I’ve ever experienced in my almost 60 years on this earth, and I’ve lost a lot of friends and family. He was always by my side, but I had to make that terrible decision in the end. It still gets me when I think about it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A friend of mine told me dogs are here to teach kids about death. I take the death of my dogs harder than some people, and I don't mean people I don't like, but family and friends.

Not sure what that says about me. I am sure it ain't good. It is; however, the truth.
    I'm the same. I think that it's because we're so close to them, physically and emotionally, whereas with parents or even friends or other relatives, we're not right there with them every moment of every day (in most cases). I've never had children, but I can only imagine that losing a child would be harder, but not much else.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I'm afraid today will be the last for our little Jackson. He would be 16 at Christmas.
    But he's been a good boy through all these years. He's pretty much quit eating and drinking for over a week now.
    He was just at the vet a few weeks ago. He's due for a couple of vacs, but the vet told us he wouldn't bother with them.
    View attachment 311741
    UPDATE:
    My wife and I are blessed with little Jackson hanging on a little longer.

We both decided, the night before, to cancel the vet appointment. Jackson is a skinny as a rail, but he's been eating more for the past 5 days. We've found a combination that he seems to like...
    Cheap pouched cat food, freeze-dried dog food, baked chicken and assorted Merrick canned food.
    I've been crushing an aspirin in his food as well as portions of CBD peanut butter bars. The bars are mainly for stress but what the heck. The dude at the pet food place suggested them to maybe help with his hips & knees. At this point, we haven't ruled out the kitchen sink yet.
    Just today he's eaten 5 different times. They weren't huge portions, we're trying to build his weight back at a reasonable pace. Below is what would have been the end of his last woods walk.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Same thing, she was just wasting away. She was always under 5lbs., slim, so she had nothing to go on.
    All of her favorite foods she just didn't want to take.
    Hand feeding and she would just have a few bites here or there.
    We gave her some of the high calorie paste as well to get her to perk up, she just wasn't interested.

Earlier this summer we would go on walks with our others, do a mile and a half loop, no problem.
    She would run the yard and fence line at home.
    As the year went on it was half a mile and pick me up, and she would only go out by the barn and back at home.
    Then it was down to "carry me" for the walks by the fall and she stuck close to the deck at home and couldn't make it up the steps.
    My cat Leia was sticking close to her, like she did when Dory was fading a few years back, she knew.

She was at the point of stumbling and falling when going from her bed to the water dish, we knew we had to put her to rest.
    Did she know it was her last time getting to sleep in the bed with us?... getting a drink?... going potty outside and touching grass?... last car ride?
    It was truly horrible taking her in, she was smart and trusted me... I feel like ****. Don't mean to be morbid, it's just my mindset right now.
    Been there
    It's been about 4 yrs, and I still feel guilty

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Been there
    It's been about 4 yrs, and I still feel guilty
    Same with our last springer.. one day normal.. literally in 2 days couldn’t run 100 feet without resting and acted strange.. vet trip and automatically a trip to the doggie hospital. Full of tumors and cancer. Took him home and next day to the vet again and buried him. Lots of emotions in with that and it was a hard choice but it was not the right thing to do to keep him around for us. It was a hard choice never easy.
    Remember the good times and as with everything no one can take that away. Enjoy every moment you can with everything.. person .. family.. day. Hopefully we all can find more happiness in this world.. something’s like pets make it easier

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

My ex wife wanted me to come over and shoot her dog "because he's old". I told her in less than friendly terms no, that I'd much rather shoot her than any dog any day. She got a worried look on her face so I clarified that I would much rather shoot ANY person than any dog any day, "don't worry, you're not that special to me".

I did find a neighbor that gladly took her old dog and gave it a loving home for another 3 years!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Maybe people shouldn't get to choose dogs; maybe dogs should get to choose people.
    Our current yellow lab chose us. We were the first to pick of the litter so I climbed in the enclosure with them and after playing with them for a while one climbed up in my lap and went to sleep. That's the one that got to go home with us!

Lpherr

Occupied
    Our current yellow lab chose us. We were the first to pick of the litter so I climbed in the enclosure with them and after playing with them for a while one climbed up in my lap and went to sleep. That's the one that got to go home with us!
    Our last Beagle got to come to his forever home for something similar.
    The guy let the litter out in the yard and they scattered. All except one little guy, that trotted straight to me.
    We brought him home and gave him a loving life for his 12-1/2 years. I still haven't fully recovered from his loss.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our gerbul (part German shepherd, part bulldog) developed epilepsy at 4 years old. She was a handful but learned voice and hand commands. Eventually her seizures became stronger and more frequent, and phenobarb stopped helping. She would have a memory wipe after each seizure and not recognize us for a day or so. Finally she couldn't even get out of the rain or get to her food dish. We had to carry her in a laundry basket to the vet. Our oldest daughter and I were there at the end. Buried her that rainy afternoon in April behind the shed.

I'd rather not ever have to do that again.

Top Bottom