Going to the 1500, I want a 9mm & need help choosing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    So, I am going to get a larger handgun for winter carry, and since I already have a 9m Sub2k (In Glock magazine) I figured I would get a 9mm pistola because I have a pile of ammo already. My daily carry is a P3AT, great for shorts or light clothing, but a bit thin perhaps for wintertime.

I guess the first obvious question is "Should I even bother" with a 9mm over the .380? That may be a discussion for later.
    I really like the cost of the 9mm rounds compared to the .40 or even the 45 and I honestly think any gun that you shoot more is going to be better than that spendy hand cannon that never gets a work out. But, if the 9mm is to close to the .380 am I better off considering something else?

Anyway, I was thinking of a cheaper gun, I am not a gun fanatic and I really dont care about cosmetics, but I want it to hold capacity, mucho ammo, and I think that is another perk for the 9mm over a larger caliber?

So, if you wanted to spend a low amount of cash on a 9mm with high capacity, and is reasonably light weight, what would you get? I was looking at the Kel Tec P-11, but that trigger is just nasty and I am thinking maybe a used gun with a better design may be the way to go? I hear that a small used Glock may be the way to go, but dont know what pricing I would be looking at? (Bonus is that I already have Glock mags)

:coffee:
    Comments? (Sorry for the barrage of questions)

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Well...since i just bought a Bersa .380 for 219 from bob...(it seems like ive said this in about every thread ive posted...maybe im just excited ha) anyway. A lot of ppl say the .380 is way way less effective then the 9mm. And im not going to argue either way, i just bought a .380 so you know my opinion. I would say get a 9mm since you have three 9's alrdy. You can just stock pile the 9mm. I would look at the Bersa 9mm. They are a little cheaper but i have never read a bad thing about bersa, including the 9mm's. Bob had some, i cant remeber what he was selling them for. i wanna say ~300?

BersaPistols.com: Bersa Thunder 9mm

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Glock 17 or 19 depending on what mags your s2k takes.

9mm is better than a .380 and IMO better than .40/.45...

Higher mag capacity - cheaper to shoot - lighter/lighter recoil

Military, State Police, and my County Police all use 9mm - it's good to go.

Although shot placement is the key no matter what caliber you're shooting.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    The sub uses Glock 17 mags. I think it comes with a 10rd Glock 17 mag. I have a friend that uses a sub 2k in steel competitions. I have a G19 but my "spare mags" are G17. He has used my 17 mags. I would agree with the group here and say go with the G19, buy some extra G17 mags. That way you have full compatibility.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Stop by the booth with the big white banner that says "JACK'S STUFF" ask for Mike or Jerry and we will get you set up with what you want. Jack has a lot of used guns of all kinds. And his price can be very good on some. I know he has a lot of Glock's right now. Should be center room to the right side about middle area.
    If I'm not there, tell them I sent ya.
    Or call Scott at Wanamaker Guns, in Wanamaker, at 862-GUNS. He had a few Glocks yesterday. Not sure which ones, I'm not a Glock fan. I go for the Colt 45's.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I am not a big glock fan, but do have a G-19. But have to agree with the rest. From what you said you was looking for, the G-19 should fit the bill for you.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Just so you have at least one non-Glock thought to rattle around in your head, I really like the CZ-75 for a full size 9mm on the lower end of the price scale. Not much like a Glock - it is metal framed, and can be used either as a DA-SA or carried single action cocked and locked. I would not be terribly surprised if you could find a nice one in the $350-400 range.

Top Bottom