Going to the 1500, I want a 9mm & need help choosing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Not to hijack his post but I also am in the market for a compact 9mm, will there be any deals to be had at the 1500.

That remains to be seen, but from what I saw the last time I went I gota say no. But, I was not looking for a used gun at the time either.

Last edited:

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I wouldn't go to the 1500 expecting a deal. I didn't see too many the last one and I think we'll see inflated prices. I also think we'll see a record number of attendees. Should be interesting. Midwest Gun and Range usually has the best selection and prices (imho).

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I bought my Glock-23 from Midwest Guns during the 1500 show new for $450 with 3 clips. I want to cast my vote for the g-19 to the OP as a new carry weapon. I also want to point out that you can drop in a 40 caliber conversion barrel later if you want to step up to the larger round. Either way you have a 22 ounce gun.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    What about the Kahr CW line? I think I'm in the same boat as some others here in that I'm going, wanting to buy, not wanting to blow the wad.

Either way, G19/23 can't be beat. (it'd be nice to find one of those on Saturday)

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    If you want the Kahr CW9, you can get them for $369 shipped at Bud's Gun Shop (online). That's a deal, but I'm not sure I would recommend that over a G19. The Kahrs only hold 7+1 in 9mm and IMHO have had some issues (but they are nice and small).

You certainly can't go wrong with a G19. It's the perfect blend of reliability, size for CCW and bullet capacity. Of course, if you want something that will feel better in your hand, shoot better (more accurate), cost you less money and will conceal pretty well, go with a Smith & Wesson M&P9.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IMHO have had some issues (but they are nice and small).

Exactly, if you're going to get a kahr go with the steel framed models and stay away from their cheaper polymer line.

You certainly can't go wrong with a G19. It's the perfect blend of reliability, size for CCW and bullet capacity. Of course, if you want something that will feel better in your hand, shoot better (more accurate), cost you less money and will conceal pretty well, go with a Smith & Wesson M&P9.

Feeling better is personal preference and shooting better IMO is the shooter's skill, concealing compared to the 19? I don't think better - since the MP is around the size of the G17.

They do cost less $, but only by $10 now - since they did two price hikes since I had bought 2. Both of mine couldn't reliably feed nor extract - they were junk.

They've had other problems also with the mag release, finish issues, and firing pin. I wouldn't invest in another again.

:twocents:

Last edited:

Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Three more guns I want opinions on for my search...

Whats the common opinion on the Taurus Millennium or the 24/7? I cant remember if the triggers were decent or not (Looked at to many this week)?
    I also looked at the S&W Sigma, the trigger felt a bit odd but for the money....it may be a decent bang for the buck.

Comments?

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Three more guns I want opinions on for my search...

Whats the common opinion on the Taurus Millennium or the 24/7? I cant remember if the triggers were decent or not (Looked at to many this week)?
    I also looked at the S&W Sigma, the trigger felt a bit odd but for the money....it may be a decent bang for the buck.

Comments?

Pass on both - you get what you pay for

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    The sigma is a copy of glock. I have a couple of friends with the taurus, they do not have issues with them. That said, I carry a Glock 19. Look for the guys walking around, you might find a deal or two.

Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Pass on both - you get what you pay for

I for one never really believed that, I have sold new items that have just been expensive crap, only to know first hand that the lower priced unit was either the same or even better, but clients would not accept it due to the status involved with spending money,but that is for another discussion.

Other than the trigger being a bit stiffer on the SIGMA, what would you say is the biggest drawback to saving about 25-35%?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Big +1 on the Glock 19. I'd recommend this anyway (big suprise) but with you having the Sub2000, its a no-brainer.

And take Glockguy's advice, skip the Millennium and Sigma. TERRIBLE triggers (among other issues).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I found it to be just slightly stiffer than the G19 while dry firing, but not $200 worse if you know what I mean.

This is a carry piece, not a "fun gun". It could one day mean the difference between life and death. Buy what runs, and what you can count on.

(sorry for the melodrama)

Top Bottom