• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    So a while back I was at the range and was wanting to shoot something different. Something in the .45 acp compact flavor. The only thing they had available, and interested me, was a Glock 21. Not a compact, but I hadn't fondled a Glock since the 90's. Didn't like them much then, but tastes change over time, so I gave it a shot. Pun intended.

Darned if I didn't shoot that thing better than any I own! First mag was the tightest group I shot in a long time. The rest of the box went was just as good, even when I picked up the pace a bit. So now I have it in my head that I need a Glock 30, since the 21 is a bit too big to carry for me.

Question is, are there any competitors to the 30 that I need to look at before plunging into the Glock world?

Thanks in advance!

JTJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Anderson
    Not sure about the competition, but I have a Glock 30s and really like the way it shoots. I also use it for CCW often. Very easy to carry

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I agree, you need a 30. I don't know how many pistols I've tried/carried, but the 30 is my single favorite pistol. It is my current etc, and I don't see that changing. I typically open carry, but I do switch to a shield when I have to conceal.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    MP45.jpg

:yesway::)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have two G30sf's and they've become my favorite carry pistol. I don't think there is a competitor out there for a compact 10+1 round .45. The only issue I've had with mine is that it likes a stout load and if you shoot some really light target stuff, it shows its displeasure by throwing brass at your face. The triggers are really tunable on these and you can either go with a light trigger that has no real wall or you can easily tune it to have a nice tactile trigger.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Not sure about the competition, but I have a Glock 30s and really like the way it shoots. I also use it for CCW often. Very easy to carry

Glock's website does not indicate that the G30S can use the 13 round mag as an alternative as it does for the G30 and G30 SF. Can you shed some light on this for me? Thanks

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I have two G30sf's and they've become my favorite carry pistol. I don't think there is a competitor out there for a compact 10+1 round .45. The only issue I've had with mine is that it likes a stout load and if you shoot some really light target stuff, it shows its displeasure by throwing brass at your face. The triggers are really tunable on these and you can either go with a light trigger that has no real wall or you can easily tune it to have a nice tactile trigger.
    So glad you chimed in! I'm curious about the sf as my hands are on the smaller side of average. Is there really a grip difference between the 30 and 30sf? Enough to make it worth my effort to seek out?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Glock's website does not indicate that the G30S can use the 13 round mag as an alternative as it does for the G30 and G30 SF. Can you shed some light on this for me? Thanks

A Glock 30 is a Glock 30. No matter which model, they all can accept the G21 mags. A Glock 30S is just a Glock 30 frame with a Glock 36 slide.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    From what I've read, the 30s has a smaller width slide on a 30sf frame. So I would think that the g21 mags would work. Please note that I have no practical experience, just reading, so I might be completely wrong.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Capacity, or lack of, is a downer for me. I really like the 10 round capacity of the 30. Not to mention it can take the 21 magazine.

That's true, and if the Glock 30 feels good in your hand, you'd probably be hard pressed to do better. But be sure to shoot one before you decide. A Glock 30 is not a Glock 21. The ergonomics are different due to the chopped grip. I love my Glock 21 Gen 3, but you couldn't give me a Glock 30. Well, ok...you could, but it would be in the classifieds the next day. It just feels odd in my hand. A fat little brick. That's why I prefer the M&P 45 compact, despite being down 2 rounds to the G30.

Another competitor that I would choose before the G30:

xd-45c.jpg

Springfield Armory XD45 Compact. Same capacity as the G30, and also takes 13 round XD45 mags. The only reason I carry the M&P compact instead is because I prefer no external safeties on my carry guns, but I used to have an XD45 compact, and they are very smooth shooters. Good ergonomics, too.

Can't think of any other 10+1 .45 compacts, except one. If you're a gambling man, you might try to dig up one of these:

pt145.jpg

I'm joking. Don't dig one up. :):

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I wasn't a fan of the Glock 30 simply because of the width and weight of it's slide for many years...although I shot it great and thought it was a great little pistol!

I picked up a Glock 36 in 2013 and very quickly fell in love with it, accuracy and performance-wise...and was even okay with the 6+1 mag size as I had CC'd a 5-shot SP101 for nearly 10 years.

When the Glock 30S hit the market...that split the difference and really just hit the sweet spot for me...the narrower + lighter G-36 slide on the slightly wider, G-30SF frame with 10+1 capability (you can have 13+1 if you want to use a Glock 21 magazine as it'll fit)...is a great set-up for C-C + home + personal defense.

My G-30 really prefers the Remington Golden Saber 185 grain +P round with the round-nosed JHP...in fact, the only bullet that doesn't want to feed well are Nosler-tipped bullets...but anything that's round-nosed feeds just fine! Federal's 185 grain green-tipped 'Zombie' bullets feeds and shoots very well too!

There's others out there, but the 10+1 Glock 30S...is a great little .45 acp pistol.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    That's true, and if the Glock 30 feels good in your hand, you'd probably be hard pressed to do better. But be sure to shoot one before you decide. A Glock 30 is not a Glock 21. The ergonomics are different due to the chopped grip. I love my Glock 21 Gen 3, but you couldn't give me a Glock 30. Well, ok...you could, but it would be in the classifieds the next day. It just feels odd in my hand. A fat little brick. That's why I prefer the M&P 45 compact, despite being down 2 rounds to the G30.

Another competitor that I would choose before the G30:

xd-45c.jpg

Springfield Armory XD45 Compact. Same capacity as the G30, and also takes 13 round XD45 mags. The only reason I carry the M&P compact instead is because I prefer no external safeties on my carry guns, but I used to have an XD45 compact, and they are very smooth shooters. Good ergonomics, too.

Can't think of any other 10+1 .45 compacts, except one. If you're a gambling man, you might try to dig up one of these:

pt145.jpg

I'm joking. Don't dig one up. :):
    I've fondled at the counter, but haven't shot one. It did feel like a fat brick, but so did the g21. Shorter grip didn't bother me since my hand is a LOT like the .45 cap cartridge...short and fat. My local range doesn't have a g30 to rent, so my options for shooting one are slim.

Not really in love with the grip safety on the Springfields. I also prefer my carry pistols without external safeties.

I agree with your Taurus assessment. Just don't trust 'em. Their revolvers on the other hand are worth looking at. But that's another thread...

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I wasn't a fan of the Glock 30 simply because of the width and weight of it's slide for many years...although I shot it great and thought it was a great little pistol!

I picked up a Glock 36 in 2013 and very quickly fell in love with it, accuracy and performance-wise...and was even okay with the 6+1 mag size as I had CC'd a 5-shot SP101 for nearly 10 years.

When the Glock 30S hit the market...that split the difference and really just hit the sweet spot for me...the narrower + lighter G-36 slide on the slightly wider, G-30SF frame with 10+1 capability (you can have 13+1 if you want to use a Glock 21 magazine as it'll fit)...is a great set-up for C-C + home + personal defense.

My G-30 really prefers the Remington Golden Saber 185 grain +P round with the round-nosed JHP...in fact, the only bullet that doesn't want to feed well are Nosler-tipped bullets...but anything that's round-nosed feeds just fine! Federal's 185 grain green-tipped 'Zombie' bullets feeds and shoots very well too!

There's others out there, but the 10+1 Glock 30S...is a great little .45 acp pistol.
    Is there really that much difference in weight between the g30 and g30s? I know there is some, but enough to make any realistic difference? Especially with a loaded mag?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a 30s. It is the first pistol that I shot that gave me trigger slap. Needless to say, it never became a favorite. I should get rid of it, but I keep thinking I will try it again.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    So glad you chimed in! I'm curious about the sf as my hands are on the smaller side of average. Is there really a grip difference between the 30 and 30sf? Enough to make it worth my effort to seek out?

I think there's enough of a difference to be worth checking out. I've held a G30 and it felt big to me, but my G30sf's feel just fine. If you cannot find a Gen 3 G30sf, try to find a Gen 4 G30. The Gen 4 G30 without any back straps fitted should be about the same as the SF frame.

Several years back, I had a chance to shoot my nephew's G30S and did not like it. At the time, I was mostly into 1911s but also had a G23 that I was in love with. Maybe it was the lighter slide, but the G30S seemed snappier than the G23 did to me at the time. For now though, the G30sf seems to have the right balance for me. Sure, it's almost as wide as it is long, but it's still comfortable for carry and shoots well for me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'll chime in on the G30s vs the G30. I've owned a G30 in the past, when the first came out. One thing I remember about it was that it was a really soft shooter. This was a standard G30, not an SF. The other day, I was at Point Blank and rented a G30s just out of curiosity. I put 1 mag though it and said "nope." Not nearly as pleasant to shoot as even my little Shield 45. The 3.53 ounce difference between the G30 and the G30s might not seem like much, but I can only assume that it made enough difference to make the G30s unpleasant to shoot for me. The bottom of the trigger guard banged the heck out of my middle finger.

If I were to have to carry a G30 for some reason, I'd go with a standard model. Either Gen 3, Gen 3 SF or Gen 4, whatever fits you better. I can't see that the slimmer slide of the 30s would make much of a difference for concealment, as the thick grip is the same as the standard model.

:twocents:

Top Bottom