• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had this happen couple weeks ago. I was only one using pumps. Took 10+ minutes to fill up.. Went in and ask clerk. Aware of it, didn’t know why, called manager, supposedly someone coming to check it out.
    At the station where I worked that meant the underground tank was almost empty. We had two tanks for regular and would throw a tank selector switch in the station house when we saw that happening, and the fuel dispensing speed right back up.

I don't keep pumping if it is slow like that. I think the air slurping causes disturbance in the underground that will stir up sediment. Plus all tanks have some water in the bottom.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    At the station where I worked that meant the underground tank was almost empty. We had two tanks for regular and would throw a tank selector switch in the station house when we saw that happening, and the fuel dispensing speed right back up.

I don't keep pumping if it is slow like that. I think the air slurping causes disturbance in the underground that will stir up sediment. Plus all tanks have some water in the bottom.

They're going to have a LOT more water in them now days with 10% ethanol content.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    So, $4.59 all over town today in Hamilton County.

Anyone remember twenty years ago when "Bush and his right wing oil buddies" (sic) were "getting rich" at $1.15 a gallon? At least that was the Democrats mantra then. Who's getting rich now? Solar panel pimps and windmill builders.

But boo hoo, muh Ukrainians are suffering under the Russian yoke (like they have been for nine centuries!) we better send 'em another $40 billion to ease their pain. I'm sure Volodymyr the Flapping-Eared Dwarf is laughing all the way to his Swiss bank account.

But don't worry, Sri Lanka won't happen here, 'cause we get ta vote in November...

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest

Point taken. Makes sense. First time I have had it happen. If experience again will abort. Thnx.

Kinda figures. Week end help is pretty much ignorant, didn’t know. Not the sharpest pencil in drawer. Couple Saturday’s ago went to same station to get cans filled with 90 octane no ethanol. Pump had brown bag. Tried it but nothing. Went in to ask. “Uh…I don’t know . I just started my shift. Which pump ? Show me. “ understands now and “ If you can wait ‘till I get caught up on taking care of customers I will check.” OK. 10 minutes later she finally makes call. Voicemail. Looks up and calls 2nd #. Voicemail. 3rd call gets someone , pologizes for bothering them, asks, listens, hangs up, tells me “ We are out. Supposed to get more early next week sometime.”

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've also heard that if you see a fuel truck making a delivery at a station, you shouldn't pump gas then because the fuel going into the storage tank will be stirring up sediment (and water).

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've also heard that if you see a fuel truck making a delivery at a station, you shouldn't pump gas then because the fuel going into the storage tank will be stirring up sediment (and water).

When I drove a school bus, they didn't allow me to even get fuel if I was on E, if the truck had just delivered fuel.

They made me wait till the next day or get it at a station, for that reason explicitly.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    $3.82 in West Central Missouri and keeps getting cheaper the further I drive. Still horrible but better that the $4.79 I saw in NWI when we left.

Reactions: Leo

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Anybody else notice a dramatic slowdown in the speed of gas pumps lately?

I've experienced it twice lately at different stations, both times the pumps weren't particularly busy. The first time the guy next to me pumped for several minutes and only managed to get two gallons. He just left. I only managed a gallon and a half before I switched to a different pump and it wasn't much better. Took me 10 minutes to put 13 gallons in my car.

I mentioned this at home the other night and both my wife daughter said, now that you mention it, yeah. It took them both much longer than usual to fill up at different stations around town.

Just odd.

Whack the nozzle on the ground a few times, those valves stick.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Years ago when I worked at a gas station and it got extremely cold the pumps would slow down to a trickle, we had to have everyone stop pumping. Shut off all the pumps and restart them, sometimes repeatedly. We were told the extreme cold was making the leak detectors think there was a leak. :dunno:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Years ago when I worked at a gas station and it got extremely cold the pumps would slow down to a trickle, we had to have everyone stop pumping. Shut off all the pumps and restart them, sometimes repeatedly. We were told the extreme cold was making the leak detectors think there was a leak. :dunno:

Interesting. I had not heard of that condition. Of course I have not worked in a gas station since before the EPA mandated Interstital probes and perimeter monitoring. Good info.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Interesting. I had not heard of that condition. Of course I have not worked in a gas station since before the EPA mandated Interstital probes and perimeter monitoring. Good info.
    This was back in the early 90s, no idea when they were mandated. And when I said trickle, I mean a trickle. Several minutes to pump a gallon. Not fun when it's below zero.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    $3.82 in West Central Missouri and keeps getting cheaper the further I drive. Still horrible but better that the $4.79 I saw in NWI when we left.
    It was $3.85 in Georgia on Saturday, everywhere else was above $4.15 with Florida being the highest at $4.50. I'm sure it is even higher now.

Top Bottom