• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes! In defense others is what me think of it in the first place. My family first and foremost. Although I don’t think I would attempt to board a plane with it. I’ve thought of other improvised weapons that are on flights. A magazine rolled up or a book as a couple of examples
    For a plane, why not a decent cane?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A good flashlight is a much better tool for self defense. Solid kubaton like light strikes will bring someone down much faster than strangulation.

On top of that, they won't be as likely to go down stabbing you in the balls and femoral artery.

Side note to the EDC gun carriers among us...

You come up on someone strangling another, who will you shoot to save a life?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Because the cane will be in the overhead behind a few heavy carry on bags generally speaking.
    Nope, it will be in your hand. They have to let you keep it, because you need it to walk.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You’re right. But I don’t need or even own a cane.
    A cheap cane will work. You need to study how to effectively use it as a hammer/hook/staff, rather than a baseball bat.

I prefer a tomahawk looking head...

I would never fly or go anywhere else unarmed without a light and a cane.

State fair, professional ballgames, jury duty, most other local government functions, etc, etc...

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I just figured a good hickory cane would be a much better option than a garrote or a rolled up magazine.

Being a disabled veteran, I've been using a cane since 2009. I have trained some on using it as a makeshift defensive weapon. I haven't went to any good classes, but have watched a crap ton of cane fighting videos on the subject. Some made sense, and some were stupid as hell, but I'm sure that having had the thing in my hands so long would give me some sort of a leg up on an aggressor should I need to use it to defend myself. I think the biggest advantage is the fact that most criminals would find such stern resistance unexpected from what they see as just another fat old cripple.

Of course I'd also be hoping my service dog would help me. Her being a 93 pound German Shepherd... I'm pretty sure she could hold her own.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If the one using the garrote knows what they are doing the question will be over before you need to make a decision.

If they don't...good question.
    You still need to make decisions.

Is the garrote killer a threat or not?
    Do you let the killer approach or flank you?
    Do you let them out of your sight?
    Do you let them see your firearm or not?

Back to the same question...

What's the likelihood of being shot while strangling someone?

Top Bottom