• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Been carrying one of paracord for years. Specifically when I have to travel to Illinois. I understand it carries a stigma. I don’t care about that part. I approach it practically. I’m looking for input from people that have serious application advice. All others need not apply.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Come up behind the sentry quietly, swing the garrote over their head and when it hits their chest pull swiftly back while forcing your knee into their back. This cuts off the wind pipe and any unfortunate screaming while pulling them off balance to their rear.

Swiftly rotate to your preferred side (I swing to port) until your back and their back are aligned. This crosses the wires while keeping them off balance and leaning back not releasing pressure on the throat. If you swing to port your hands will be over your starboard shoulder.

Swiftly pull forward, bringing them over your back, like a judo throw, and as they come over front quickly snap the handles apart to the full extent of your reach.

The head should come off every time.

No guarantees with paracord.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I’ve seen that the military uses a metal cable. The reason I chose paracord is to carry in my pocket undetected. Also, I don’t intend to decapitate anyone. Yes I understand that has always been it’s main use. (Thanks to Thor for the excellent description of proper technique). I carry it for an additional option for defense.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you are in a defensive situation you are likely facing the aggressor and a garrotte is probably not the weapon to employ; if you don't have the use of a firearm use a knife or your hands. There are techniques that can ensure a closed casket ceremony.

In the defense of others it could work.

With the garrotte in your hands come behind the felon and grab the left collar, with your right hand wrap the paracord around their neck and pull hard, force your knee or elbows into their back...then ride the bull. Paracord will not be as quickly effective as more lethal devices.

I always thought one of those chain hand saws might be effective but have never tried one; it would allow you a reasonable explanation for why you are carrying it. One advantage of paracord is you could get it on an airplane.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds like a visit from the good idea fairy to me, but the way to find out is to pressure test it. Get a buddy, figure out some safety gear (C-spine collar, maybe?), and have him oppose you. See if your ideas works. Then try similar scenarios with a small blade, etc. I suspect you'll find that it's both difficult to deploy and to use effectively, but give it a go and report back.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    If you are in a defensive situation you are likely facing the aggressor and a garrotte is probably not the weapon to employ; if you don't have the use of a firearm use a knife or your hands. There are techniques that can ensure a closed casket ceremony.

In the defense of others it could work.

With the garrotte in your hands come behind the felon and grab the left collar, with your right hand wrap the paracord around their neck and pull hard, force your knee or elbows into their back...then ride the bull. Paracord will not be as quickly effective as more lethal devices.

I always thought one of those chain hand saws might be effective but have never tried one; it would allow you a reasonable explanation for why you are carrying it. One advantage of paracord is you could get it on an airplane.
    Yes! In defense others is what me think of it in the first place. My family first and foremost. Although I don’t think I would attempt to board a plane with it. I’ve thought of other improvised weapons that are on flights. A magazine rolled up or a book as a couple of examples

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yes! In defense others is what me think of it in the first place. My family first and foremost. Although I don’t think I would attempt to board a plane with it. I’ve thought of other improvised weapons that are on flights. A magazine rolled up or a book as a couple of examples
    Those are viable options. I carry a legal sized bullet proof clipboard; it's largish, heavy, hard and well, bulletproof against most handguns. It has always gotten through TSA and provides another viable option for shield or bludgeon.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Paracord always looks so benign, especially in pretty colors. Perhaps gut the paracord and line it with a metal cable. Or if trying to avoid metal how about some super duper strong fishing leader line.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Paracord always looks so benign, especially in pretty colors. Perhaps gut the paracord and line it with a metal cable. Or if trying to avoid metal how about some super duper strong fishing leader line.
    Not a bad idea. Although I have gotten through security at the concerts I go to when they use the hand held metal detectors. One time even with a pat down. They don’t feel it in cargo style shorts.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I've always seen it as an attack weapon. It would be pretty hard to justify it's use as "defensive". Also, being as defensive normally means the other guy acted first, pretty hard to even employ in the defense.

How are you gonna "defensively" gonna find yourself surprising an attacker from behind?

Nope... with one of those babies, you're the attacker. At least any jury these days is gonna see it that way. BTW, 550 cord is gonna soak up your DNA a lot better than wire would too.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I've always seen it as an attack weapon. It would be pretty hard to justify it's use as "defensive". Also, being as defensive normally means the other guy acted first, pretty hard to even employ in the defense.

How are you gonna "defensively" gonna find yourself surprising an attacker from behind?

Nope... with one of those babies, you're the attacker. At least any jury these days is gonna see it that way. BTW, 550 cord is gonna soak up your DNA a lot better than wire would too.
    As I previously mentioned, I realized it would be used in the defense of my family or someone else who may be being attacked. For instance, we were very often attending sports or band activities while my kids still lived at home. Being the law abiding type, I didn’t carry my gun while attending those events. In addition, all the same criteria still apply like a gun or a knife, in terms of justifiable use of lethal force. I realize that very well.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    There may be other options, but the garrotte can most certainly be used as a defensive weapon and facing the aggressor.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

See post 19

Top Bottom