• hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Anyone know what kind of weed this Is?

View attachment 282222

I haven't readily been able to identify them on the interwebs. They grow on the garden borders, in the gravel driveway and pasture next to me. They get to 3-sh feet tall and have an early resistance to glyphosate.

Looks like Mare's Tail.

That would explain why roundup won't kill it. That stuff is resistant to glysophate, paraquat, atrazine and lord knows what else. You see it in every soybean field you drive past.

Will look like this when it gets a little taller.
    mtfdxAV.jpg

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I just found out I'm going to be gone for the last 2 weeks in July. I'm not worried about watering the garden since I can put it on a timer. However, I have cherry tomatoes and cucumbers in big pots on the deck.

I'm thinking of filling 5 gallon buckets and placing them higher than the pots. The taking a length of garden hose and pulling a cotton rope through it. One end in the bucket, the other end buried in the soil in the pot. The cotton rope will pull water and slowly water the pot. The hose isn't actually siphoning. It's just to stop evaporation on the rope. The pots are already heavily mulched with straw.

Anyone have any luck with this or any other system to keep things watered over a longer period of time?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looks like Mare's Tail.

That would explain why roundup won't kill it. That stuff is resistant to glysophate, paraquat, atrazine and lord knows what else. You see it in every soybean field you drive past.

Will look like this when it gets a little taller.
    mtfdxAV.jpg

Mare's Tail. This is it. Thanks!

20230619_125613.jpg

A second treatment of roundup will often kill it, when it's taller. However, when the circumstances are right for this to get taller and the ground has the right moisture content, these things will easily pull out, top roots and all.

20230619_130402.jpg

This stuff makes up the green part of compost some of the time.

20230619_130251.jpg

Needless to say, I'm happy to get away from chemicals whenever possible.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Seeds dont want to germinate this year. 1 bean out of 2 rows. Its growth stopped at 2". out of 2 10' rows I have maybe a dozen beets. Turnips came up fine right next to them.

Im thinking i'll lay down a bunch of plastic or landscape cloth just to control the open areas so I dont have to weed all summer. I'm down to 1 full row of turnips, two partial rows of beets, and everything else is a vine that climbs. (including tomatoes)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    HOLY HELL! WHY DIDNT ONE OF YOU TELL ME HOW AWESOME STIRRUP HOES ARE!?!!??

Bought one today and its SOOOO much better than weeding by hand or using a regular hoe to struggle to scrape the tops off the weeds.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    HOLY HELL! WHY DIDNT ONE OF YOU TELL ME HOW AWESOME STIRRUP HOES ARE!?!!??

Bought one today and its SOOOO much better than weeding by hand or using a regular hoe to struggle to scrape the tops off the weeds.

In all fairness, they have only been around for a few centuries.

Give folks some time.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Seeds dont want to germinate this year. 1 bean out of 2 rows. Its growth stopped at 2". out of 2 10' rows I have maybe a dozen beets. Turnips came up fine right next to them.

Im thinking i'll lay down a bunch of plastic or landscape cloth just to control the open areas so I dont have to weed all summer. I'm down to 1 full row of turnips, two partial rows of beets, and everything else is a vine that climbs. (including tomatoes)
    Of all things that did not come up for me was my potatoes. Dug the 8 inch trench added the potatoes cut in half or thirds. Covered with 2-3 inches of soil and watered just like always. In my row I got 4 potatoe plants. Last weekend those four plants got tilled under.

I did plant them in mid may but I had planted them that late before and they did fine. (Normal plant them around at Patrick's day) I think the seed potatoes must have rotted in the ground. It was warmer this spring than normal. I should have cut them let them harden then plant them.

My Lima beans had a bit of a problem but I think that lied with a local tree rat digging them up. First 10 feet of the row nothing then they all came up. I saw a squirrel around that area one morning and did see a bit of soil disturbed.

Birds seem to like my corn seeds some years.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Battling bunnies. Most our beans already eaten to the base at ground level. Wish wife did not turn the GSDs into House Dogs. Our prior fur beast did NOT allow any other creature into her yard.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Pretty happy with most everything ..........One of our potatoe patches ( hope underground looks as good as above ground )
    Have cut quite a few yellow squash, zucchini and cucumbers ......... Had to tie tomatoes up again ( some are over 6` high ) big stalks .
    Raised beds are doing great ......Just cut scapes off of garlic , so it won`t be much longer .......Onions are bulbing up .......
    Had to put up some chicken wire around our bean plants ( rabbits here too )
    Have been a pretty steady diet of kale , swiss chard, lettuce , garlic scapes , and broccoli from the raised beds .............
    IMG_3627.JPG IMG_3643.JPG IMG_3644.JPG IMG_3645.JPG IMG_3647.JPG IMG_3653.JPG

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Battling bunnies. Most our beans already eaten to the base at ground level. Wish wife did not turn the GSDs into House Dogs. Our prior fur beast did NOT allow any other creature into her yard.

Big reason I went to two foot raised beds for the kitchen garden.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Big reason I went to two foot raised beds for the kitchen garden.

We never had rabbits until last year ? ............Have a 2` chicken wire fence around our bean plots and has so far kept them out .
    Always read where a rabbit won`t jump a fence ( I know they can jump a decent height but prefer not to ? ) ..........Hope that stays true .

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I dug a hill of my red pontiacs and one Yukon gold. the reds only had 3 or 4 and still real small, so those will need some more time. The golds were doing real well. I got about 5 nice sized potatoes. So I had new potatoes and kale for supper. I think I have reached that magical point where I can eat every day out of the garden for the rest of the year.

Top Bottom