• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Earlier this spring, I had gotten 6 yards of good soil mix from a local landscaper to put in some of my raised beds. I'd gotten the same soil last year to fill one bed and my peppers grew like gang-busters in it. So I decided to dig the clay out of three of the other beds and get more of that good soil so that my plants might look as nice as the one in the pictures that you guys post.

The soil looked fine when I put it in. and the tomatoes and sweet potatoes seem fine, but very few seeds are sprouting. I can put water on it as long as I want, but then if I scrape off the surface, it's dry as a bone underneath. First I tried Dawn soap in a hose-end sprayer to act as a surfactant, and that seemed to be working, but I didn't want to use too much of that and risk my plants. Tomorrow I'm going to put a thick layer of straw and leaves over the exposed areas and see if that does anything.

Have any of you ever used one of the commercial soil wetting agents? I know they're popular in the south for use on lawns during hot dry spells, but I've never used them.
    You need to get a lot of organic matter mixed in. Compost, leaves, clippings, manure, straw etc.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think I screwed up.
    I planted 27 potato plants this year, among other things.
    I like potatoes, but it's just me.

I might be giving away a lot of potatoes, or maybe I'll start making vodka.
    Maybe I should build an old-fashioned potato gun...

So many choices

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Something is obviously up with my soil nutrients. They are out of whack.

My sugar snap peas this year are pitiful. I used to have them climb my 4' chain link fence, and used to have to consider adding additional height. And when they did finally flower at 4+ feet, I couldnt keep up with fruit production. I'd pick about a half gallon a week.

This year the vines grew only 6-10" before producing fruit. And I can walk away from a picking session with just one zip up sweatshirt pocket not even full.

And one of my tomato plants started flowering after only doubling in size in a couple weeks . (from 4" to 8-10" tall)

I recall there are certain nutrients that will cause the plant to flower and fruit prematurely, and others will cause the plant to grow and grow and grow before producing fruit.

So what did I end up with too much of?

EDIT: and in the lesser quality section of my garden where I usually put the vining stuff but the wife insisted on me planting beans, only one single solitary green bean plant germinated, and the spinach I planted stopped growing at 4" and turned yellow. But this add-on is more of just a rant against the wife who insisted I plant the beans there (even though she knows nothing about gardening)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

My sugar snap peas this year are pitiful. I used to have them climb my 4' chain link fence, and used to have to consider adding additional height. And when they did finally flower at 4+ feet, I couldnt keep up with fruit production. I'd pick about a half gallon a week.

This year the vines grew only 6-10" before producing fruit. And I can walk away from a picking session with just one zip up sweatshirt pocket not even full.

And one of my tomato plants started flowering after only doubling in size in a couple weeks . (from 4" to 8-10" tall)

I recall there are certain nutrients that will cause the plant to flower and fruit prematurely, and others will cause the plant to grow and grow and grow before producing fruit.

EDIT: and in the lesser quality section of my garden where I usually put the vining stuff but the wife insisted on me planting beans, only one single solitary green bean plant germinated, and the spinach I planted stopped growing at 4" and turned yellow. But this add-on is more of just a rant against the wife who insisted I plant the beans there (even though she knows nothing about gardening)

Maybe you can bring things back with some fertilizing? Compost tea? Miracle Grow?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

Typically, nitrogen will cause the growth and phosphorous will help plants grow and set more fruit. They both need to be readily available to the plant though and uptake depends on lots of factors. Cold weather, soil Ph, will inhibit the plants ability to use both.

Take some soil samples and let your county extension agent help

If you're buying compost or topsoil, anything could be in there. You read stories about people buying horse and cattle manure only to find out that they were fed hay and grass sprayed with Grazon. It doesn't break down in the composting process and will stunt or kill plants in the garden when it's top dressed.

So many things can go wrong and it can be tough to figure out where to start.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Typically, nitrogen will cause the growth and phosphorous will help plants grow and set more fruit. They both need to be readily available to the plant though and uptake depends on lots of factors. Cold weather, soil Ph, will inhibit the plants ability to use both.

Take some soil samples and let your county extension agent help

If you're buying compost or topsoil, anything could be in there. You read stories about people buying horse and cattle manure only to find out that they were fed hay and grass sprayed with Grazon. It doesn't break down in the composting process and will stunt or kill plants in the garden when it's top dressed.

So many things can go wrong and it can be tough to figure out where to start.
    I've used A&L Great Lakes in the past. Sounds like its time for another sample.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have never fertilized my peas and they always do well. They fix their own nitrogen into their roots. There is some kind of enzyme they sell that is supposed to help with that but I have never used it. You definitely have something going on but we don't know what you have added to your soil. I see people add lime when up here anyway, the soil needs sulphur instead (pH issues). People will put their grass clippings on the garden after treating their yard with some kind of weed killer on it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If your PH gets to far out of whack then the plants can't use the nitrogen or nutrients correctly.

I like Expat have to add sulphur, so a soil sample should help you sort it out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used to have a colony of feral cats that kept them and the damn rabbits under control. Now I seem to be in the same box as you.

Top Bottom