• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    We had nearly 2" of rain a little over week ago.

Still, I just moved the hose around the garden sprinklers for the last 3 hours.

:spend:
    I put in a drip hose in each of my beds this year. Didn't think I'd be using them in May. Hot, low humidity and a steady wind is making it necessary.

I even put some water on the yard Sunday morning.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I put in a drip hose in each of my beds this year. Didn't think I'd be using them in May. Hot, low humidity and a steady wind is making it necessary.

I even put some water on the yard Sunday morning.
    My yard went brown and dormant already.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My yard went brown and dormant already.
    Mine had turned the corner and was headed that way. I'm usually sick of mowing it by the end of July, so when it goes dormant in August I'm ready for it. I wasn't ready to put the mower away yet though. I'll probably keep watering for a while, at least until I get the next water bill. I miss the well at our old house.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I just finished my underground lines in my raised beds. My beds are about 50 feet from the back of the house and I have a buried 3/4" black poly pipe from the house to the beds, with a hose bib at each of the two rows of beds. To that I added another buried line that goes under both rows of beds with a plastic hose ball-valve in the corner of each of my eight beds. Now, I'm putting together soaker and drip lines for the beds. It was a lot of hand digging last week, but I'm really excited to be able to have drips set up without having hoses laying on top of the ground.

It's hooked up to well water now, but I also picked up a new shallow well pump so that I can hook that up to my rain water tanks and drip irrigate with rain water.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I just finished my underground lines in my raised beds. My beds are about 50 feet from the back of the house and I have a buried 3/4" black poly pipe from the house to the beds, with a hose bib at each of the two rows of beds. To that I added another buried line that goes under both rows of beds with a plastic hose ball-valve in the corner of each of my eight beds. Now, I'm putting together soaker and drip lines for the beds. It was a lot of hand digging last week, but I'm really excited to be able to have drips set up without having hoses laying on top of the ground.

It's hooked up to well water now, but I also picked up a new shallow well pump so that I can hook that up to my rain water tanks and drip irrigate with rain water.
    Pics?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    IMG_5278.JPG
    A few had asked me for details on my drip system, so here are a few pics. Above are my raised beds, and if you follow the line of dirt on the right, that's where my main water line from the house runs. You can see that there's a hose bib in that first bed, and the pipe continues under that bed, to the far bed, where there is another riser and hose bib. That main line is about two feet deep (it all gets drained and blown out each fall). There is another line, buried just about six inches deep that runs across the ends of the two rows of beds (I replaced the sod when I buried that line, so you can't see where it is). If you look, you can see the short risers in the corners of the beds. That line isn't connected to the main line under ground, the next pic shows the connection. That is the drip supply line.

IMG_5256.JPG
    Here you can see one of the two risers with hose bibs on the main line, and there is a pressure reducer with the short piece of hose to supply the drip lines. The blue fitting on the riser has an adapter to connect a garden hose for the drips in that bed. I plan to get some pressure-treated 2x4s and make a proper stand to attach the hose bibs, maybe put a hose rack on too. Please excuse my weedy turf.

IMG_5261.JPG
    Here's a pic of the drip riser in another bed, with the valve and connection to a buried soaker hose. I have it running with well water now, but I have about 900 gallons of rain water storage and a shallow well pump that I still need to get set up.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am watering the garden every morning for a few hours. I guess the strawberries are on but likely won't last long in this heat.

ETA: the greens are all starting to bolt.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Everything seems to be doing pretty good despite the lack of rain .........Have watered about every other day and had to add some shade cloth already to our lettuce ,broccoli and cabbage .
    Our strawberries are in a bit of shade which has helped them to survive . Onions are looking good but no signs of bulbing out yet , The garlic looks great ( dug down on a few and they are starting to bulb up a little . )
    Have ate quite a few helpings from our 1st bed in the row ( we call it the salad bowl ) Mix of cabbage , lettuce , kale, swiss chard and misc garlic and onion chutes .

IMG_3500.JPG IMG_3501.JPG IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3506.JPG IMG_3509.JPG IMG_3511.JPG IMG_3443.JPG

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Drought not helping. Most plants are up and going slowly. Voles still a problem, possibly aided by rabbits.
    Only a few peas so far. No okra this year (YAY). Took apart the greenhouse for storage.
    Watering a lot. We used drip irrigation for years, but every other year we had to replace emitters, as our horrible water clogged them up with iron and calcium. Had to give up and use sprinkler and hose.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm running the drip hoses for about 30 min every other morning right now. Will probably go to an hour 2 or 3 times per week to get some root growth.

Mulched everything heavily with straw last week and it's been a big help.

Lettuce and spinach are shot with the heat. I may put some in pots on the deck under the pergola and see if that's enough shade to keep them from bolting.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Picked gooseberries today from one bush, third year. Plenty enough for a pie or cobbler. Last year there wasn't enough guspberries for a pie from both the bushes.

Attachments

• Attach0_20230606_102623.jpg
      Attach0_20230606_102623.jpg
      729.5 KB · Views: 4
    • Attach0_20230606_102621.jpg
      Attach0_20230606_102621.jpg
      455 KB · Views: 4

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My corn (planted 7-8 days ago have sprouted and popped up. Aug 15 here we come.
    I will plant another patch July 4 ish. For a September 21 harvest.
    Then I will try for and end of the year crop in the Aug 15 patch around September 1 ish and hope no frost for 75 days. That will give me a last patch in early November which is always a challenge but happens more than one would think. (Fresh sweet corn for thanksgiving is nice.)
    I need three corn patches.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The mesclun mix is holding up. eating a salad every night.
    the peas and potatoes are blooming.
    still watering. Hoeing and weeding a little every day.
    all the beans are looking good. The pole beans are forming vines now.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Earlier this spring, I had gotten 6 yards of good soil mix from a local landscaper to put in some of my raised beds. I'd gotten the same soil last year to fill one bed and my peppers grew like gang-busters in it. So I decided to dig the clay out of three of the other beds and get more of that good soil so that my plants might look as nice as the one in the pictures that you guys post.

The soil looked fine when I put it in. and the tomatoes and sweet potatoes seem fine, but very few seeds are sprouting. I can put water on it as long as I want, but then if I scrape off the surface, it's dry as a bone underneath. First I tried Dawn soap in a hose-end sprayer to act as a surfactant, and that seemed to be working, but I didn't want to use too much of that and risk my plants. Tomorrow I'm going to put a thick layer of straw and leaves over the exposed areas and see if that does anything.

Have any of you ever used one of the commercial soil wetting agents? I know they're popular in the south for use on lawns during hot dry spells, but I've never used them.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Earlier this spring, I had gotten 6 yards of good soil mix from a local landscaper to put in some of my raised beds. I'd gotten the same soil last year to fill one bed and my peppers grew like gang-busters in it. So I decided to dig the clay out of three of the other beds and get more of that good soil so that my plants might look as nice as the one in the pictures that you guys post.

The soil looked fine when I put it in. and the tomatoes and sweet potatoes seem fine, but very few seeds are sprouting. I can put water on it as long as I want, but then if I scrape off the surface, it's dry as a bone underneath. First I tried Dawn soap in a hose-end sprayer to act as a surfactant, and that seemed to be working, but I didn't want to use too much of that and risk my plants. Tomorrow I'm going to put a thick layer of straw and leaves over the exposed areas and see if that does anything.

Have any of you ever used one of the commercial soil wetting agents? I know they're popular in the south for use on lawns during hot dry spells, but I've never used them.
    Long dry spell. Dry equals not as easy for seeds to sprout. Does the first two inches/top layer dry out like concrete.

I have that on top soil in a 4x8 bed. I have been incorporating peat moss into them which seems to help with everything in beds with no sprout issues. Still working on the greens bed to sprout correctly. I threw brussel sprouts in that space when it got real hot real quick. covering with straw ect will help keep the water around longer.

get some peat and incorporate it into the bed soil along with organic matter. Currently I am upping the soil in the areas of the garden to then move into the beds and amending that soil to what I want to grow in the bed. Next bed will have some sand for better root crops.
    good luck my garden has been and off again on again affir for like 25 years in this spot.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have these little worms that are killing of my melon seedlings. They eat the stem down to nothing right under the soil line. About a 1/2" long or less.

Anybody know what it is.

IMG_20230610_192611369.jpg

IMG_20230610_193040139~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230610_192630466.jpg
      IMG_20230610_192630466.jpg
      352.2 KB · Views: 0
    Top Bottom