• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Our bug maters are gettin close, this is my favorite time of year from a culinary standpoint. I could eat nothing but tomatoes for months on end. Went out and grabbed only the ripest cherry tomatoes we had this evening. Rinsed them, split them and added grated Pecorino Romano, large flake salt, fresh crushed black pepper, a few leaves of fresh basil and virgin olive oil. I'll be doing this again for sure, had a really good flavor and texture.

xTLrGBuh.jpg

jndLcmHh.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Our bug maters are gettin close, this is my favorite time of year from a culinary standpoint. I could eat nothing but tomatoes for months on end. Went out and grabbed only the ripest cherry tomatoes we had this evening. Rinsed them, split them and added grated Pecorino Romano, large flake salt, fresh crushed black pepper, a few leaves of fresh basil and virgin olive oil. I'll be doing this again for sure, had a really good flavor and texture.

xTLrGBuh.jpg

jndLcmHh.jpg

Thanks for the recipe. I'll be trying this soon!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hooky posted a pic from last week, in the outdoor pics thread, with commentary on wild raspberries mostly gone but blackberries all over. I have raspberries on most of the woods tree lines around me here.

I'm growing Arapaho blackberries (hopefully Prime-Arc Traveler also) and see the birds eating my berries all the time. I wonder if I should look for those varieties of blackberries emerging in the tree lines in years to come?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Hooky posted a pic from last week, in the outdoor pics thread, with commentary on wild raspberries mostly gone but blackberries all over. I have raspberries on most of the woods tree lines around me here.

I'm growing Arapaho blackberries (hopefully Prime-Arc Traveler also) and see the birds eating my berries all the time. I wonder if I should look for those varieties of blackberries emerging in the tree lines in years to come?

I would. It works that way for mulberries, so why not your blackberries?

We put up a gallon of peaches last night and our tree is still loaded. Guessing we'll have over 4 gallons put up before it's all over. The bald faced hornets are getting their share though.

aZX4QT4.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lemme know how you like it! I used our milti color peppercorn mix but next time I'm going to use the tellicherry peppercorns for a little extra kick.

Turned out great. I had a pretty large handful of cherry tomatoes, all split from dry weather then rain. They had to be used or soon would be lost.

I added fresh garlic, onions and a mix of peppers. Used the cheap Parmesan cheese I had vs your good Romano.

This was a good kick in the but to try new stuff.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I lost my largest potato patch last night.
    I believe it was a tag team effort judging by the deer and racoon prints. They did not leave a single plant intact,and plenty of holes where the plants used to be. They had been doing fantastic.
    /not happy

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I believe it was a tag team effort judging by the deer and racoon prints. They did not leave a single plant intact,and plenty of holes where the plants used to be. They had been doing fantastic.
    /not happy
    Sorry. I would hate that. Mine have been doing great. I have had a couple potatoes that something dug down and ate about half or so... But I have plenty. Big crop this year.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    We've had similar problems in the past...electric wire run around the garden about 4-6" above ground d solved the problem
    /not happy

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Wife just brought in our first half dozen romas and six real nice heads of broccolI, lots of tomatoes but not ready for canning. But the six Roma will be fine for salads. Still waiting on the Rutgers. Our peaches are still very green, but they will get here. I’d rather things come on spaced out so we don’t have to work our butts off putting it bye.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I'm assuming it's been watered regularly.

Since it's a reused pot and soil it's a good chance it's fungal rot. If it is there's nothing you can do. Get rid of the soil somewhere not by anything that grows, the fungus is in the soil and destroys the roots ability to take water. Disinfect the pot before using it again.

I never reuse soil with tomatoes in a pot
    I'm happy to report that this tomato plant has made a comeback. The blight has diminished, it is greening up and is putting on some new healthy growth. Tomatoes will be coming off in the next week so we'll see how they taste.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm happy to report that this tomato plant has made a comeback. The blight has diminished, it is greening up and is putting on some new healthy growth. Tomatoes will be coming off in the next week so we'll see how they taste.
    Really, What did you do? I'm kind of jealous, I have no fullsize tomatoes that are close to harvest. Had to buy some more from the farm market today

A friend of mine recently told me he sprays his tomatoes with a hydrogen peroxide mix after a rain to try to slow down blight. Anyone else do this?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I normally take pictures of any and everthing. This time I was so discusted that I lost track of it. Even more pissed now, that I believe I was mistaken on diagnosing the pest. Could certainly have used the pics to post in helping figure it out. :xmad:

I transplanted some winter squash and cukes a few days ago. Next day, half of what I planted is dug out of the ground. The critter went right down the line, pulling everything, one plant to the next.

I was sure it was voles, as I ran and killed off some last year. Also had a pepper plant dropped over recently. I set mousetraps and covers around the area.

I also replanted the plants that were wilted and repacked the compost that was piled up around the holes. As of today, most of the plants have lived and recouped.

The traps have been out for two full days and nothing, other than a freak tripped trap. :dunno:

In hindsight, I'm not sure this was vole damage? Voles eat the roots and go up. These plants didn't have noticable root damage, on top of mostly recovering.

I'm wondering if this wasn't crow or other bird damage? Whatever done the damage, just pulled the plant out, without eating it. Also pulled a lot of compost out to seemingly get to the Trifecta+ fertilizer I pot at the bottom of the hole? I noticed the Trifecta+ had an aroma, as I was planting.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Really, What did you do? I'm kind of jealous, I have no fullsize tomatoes that are close to harvest. Had to buy some more from the farm market today

A friend of mine recently told me he sprays his tomatoes with a hydrogen peroxide mix after a rain to try to slow down blight. Anyone else do this?
    I mix up powdered milk in a 2 quart container and pour that On each plant once every 2 weeks after they get fruit for 6 to 8 weeks. Cheap way to add calcium.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County

Only thing I did different was feed it with Miracle Gro once a week. My wife's roses had a similar blight and they have also gotten past it and started blooming again. The guy who treats our bushes and trees called it a "leaf scorch", whatever that is. Plants are weird and I don't understand much of what happens with them.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County

There has been a noticeable absence of bees this year. I wonder if that is creating lower yields.

Top Bottom