• ...and so much more!
  • Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Did you harden your plants off?

When moving from indoors (even inside a nursery) to outdoors you have to slowly introduce them or you will shock them.

And after harden and planting they still take a little time. They put all their effort into establishing the roots first then they start to grow bigger...

I know I read to do that ...may have read that after I planted the Toms & Peppers. Planted so many things I can't say. I look forward to seeing what happens next year.

Thanks for the advice!:yesway:

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Lots of corn

20130628_155504_zps8085ccf6.jpg

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Care to share the recipe?
    yea ill share it, well some of it! Hehe. It's my own dish so ill keep out the secret ingredient.
    its a long one and takes all day to make.
    ingredients: 1-2 lbs. Winter squash, 1 lb. Applewood smoked bacon, 1 large pepper, tomato, onion, carrot, potato, 1 med. Sweet potato, 1-2 ears of corn kernels removed, 5-6 large morels 1/2 lb. Of bison spices:(figure own amt.) paprika, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, cayenne powder, cumin, turmeric liquids: milk, secret ingredient and then butter

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    process: boil squash in enough water to cover on med., dice veggies set aside, fry bacon in butter with some salt pepper and garlic, set in oven to keep warm, when squash resembles mush or puree add milk and 3tbsp. Butter to squash, cook bison in seasoned bacon grease and butter, add to squash with grease and all spices, adding more milk if it sticks, reduce heat and cook for 2-3 hrs. When ready to serve slice morels and fry in butter salt pepper and garlic. Don't put morels in goulash it will turn much faster, as this makes a large amount. I put them in my bowl and then put in the goulash. Add cheese for a real treat! Also can sub in any other mushroom.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Got my first bell peppers out of the garden yesterday, and have plenty of green tomatoes. Beans have blossomed, but no beans yet. Ditto for the squash and peas.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Peas nearly done. Spinach bolting, okra sprouting, beans starting, beets ready, lots of tarragon and mint. First zucchini in, weeds very healthy, wood sorrel ready, peppers and eggplant coming along. Tomatoes still a ways off. Lots of lettuce.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Should peas be pulled up if they stop producing?

I could use the space to reseed more peas or something else.

My experience has been that a few vines will regenerate and put on a few more pods. Not enough to mess with. My vines went into the compost last week.

I planted 4 roma pole beans at each fence post of my 5' X 45" pea fence yesterday (July 1.) I'm hoping to plant fall peas between the posts right at roma bean harvest time (Sept. 1)

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    My wife gardens and I like to think that I am a very small scale farmer.

I have 3/4 acre of sweet corn and about the same amount of pumpkins.

I am about to put out my hot wire around the sweet corn for the raccoons. There is about 2-3 more weeks until we are eating fresh sweet corn.

If you need any sweet corn to put up, let me know. Maybe we can work something out.

All three ears are on one plant!

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    garden

Some good...some not so good. Dealing with bean leaf beetles currently...and my tomato plants are looking a little weak...but holding on. My various peppers (green, jalapeno, various sweets, chili's...) all seem to be doing very well. Got them in a bit late...but they are budding little peppers very nicely.

armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    Tomatoes, hot peppers, bell peppers and cucumbers all flourishing nicely. This year was the first time I've started seeds indoors and was worried I may have started them too early due the frost that kept coming, but they matured and hardened off nicely by the time I planted them, the mass amounts of rain has done nothing but make them grow like crazy!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom