• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Mom's birthday was last week so I picked out her gift (pun) right before we left for the party.

IMG_20130630_100725_958_zps280a5129.jpg

My main handicap this year was a VERY late (for me) tilling of the two biggest vegetable gardens that I run long rows in. That really screwed me on potatoes and peas, but I was able to come out pretty well on everything else. Brocolli, Cauliflower, 5 varieties of lettuce, 4 cabbages, carrots, onions, herbs and chives all did well.

In 3 weeks I'll be looking at yields across the garden worth canning. I'll sure miss the potatoes and peas though.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Crappy for me. It has been so wet all my squash and cucs got a white powdery fungus. Then a hail storm hit last weekend and shredded everything.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Im realllly behind all you. Im hoping I didnt start gardening too late into the season. Everything seems to be growing good, we'll see.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Beans and potatoes are flowering, tomatoes are getting huge with tons of blooms and tomatoes coming on.
    I picked some of the biggest broccoli heads last night ever, a couple of them 10" across.
    I need to hill potatoes but it won't stop raining long enough.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    My potatoes need hilled too but same problem lol. I'm hoping as big as they plants are that the one batch I get will be huge :)

went to the garden tonight and dug up some super fresh garlic. I mean there is almost no better smell in the world. used it in a batch of the cuban pork. it was more like juicing garlic than crushing it lol

Pics or gtfo right :)

talk about fresh

so beautiful!!!

and what a great picture of deliciousness :)

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I have been harvesting tons and tons of sweet basil and parsley. lots of pesto sauces lol. everything else is progressing awesome. I'm really happy with my new compost tea fertilizer. it's working very well minus the plants close to my birch tree. I think it's just simply sucking up all the nutrients. not a big deal as it's only effecting about 5 pepper plants. Maybe I just need to fertilize them a bit more. who knows. and on to some progression pics.

My apples are doing awesome however my tree had a serious failure and the main branch with most apples broke off. very sad for me lol. I'm going to paint the scarred part black to keep the bugs out. However the Japanese beetles are on it right now so I need to get a soap wash or something on them soon. Still a few good ones left though so I'm happy about that

cabbages are monstrous lol. I can't wait. probably only another week or so and then it's on to the homemade sauerkraut! I can't wait as I am officially out from last year. however the cabbage worms are on them and need to be sprayed soon.

I started these butternut squash a bit late. hopefully the produce as I would love me some squash blossoms filled with goat cheese and fried

garlic probably has a week or so left for it gets yanked. area will be tilled in and probably throw a good amount of beans in there

Potatoes are freaking bonkers lol. I haven't hilled them still but they are booming

same with my tomato's. I really need to get rid of some suckers but they are just plain out of control. covered in tomato's but absolutely no reds yet unfortunately. hopefully the warmer nights will get them there soon. the red cages are 5 foot tall lol

and on to the other side looking the other way. the path in between were easily 3-4 foot wide for the tiller to fit through. not so much anymore lol

habanero's are getting big and got a good amount of peppers forming up now. I'm stoked as they didn't do well last year with the drought at all

Other peppers are getting big. I'm ready as store bought peppers are stupid expensive. I ran out of my frozen ones a few months ago.

cherry peppers

mucho nacho peppers

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My Monday Report (sorry, couldn't find the TPS cover page):

Cabbage - wife pulled one head already, the others are all but ready to go. Talked to some folks about kraut recipes, so I'm ready!
    Cucumbers - picked our first one this weekend. HUNDREDS more started!
    Onions - a few weeks yet
    Celery - either a bust, or really slow
    Broccoli - on our second planting. Worms got most of the leaves, but they might recover
    Cauliflower - really slow
    Tomatoes - Thousands of green ones, not ripe yet.
    Peppers - picked our first Jalapenos. Green and banana will start ripening this week.
    Green Beans - Will start picking this week.
    Corn - just starting to tassel. No ears yet, though.

I'm sure I forgot something....

Also picked up a bunch more canning jars/lids/rings, pickling salt, and other canning goodies.

Side note: I haven't needed to water yet. The rain barrel is full, but unused.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Im realllly behind all you. Im hoping I didnt start gardening too late into the season. Everything seems to be growing good, we'll see.
    Most things have a 45-60 day time frame to fruit, weather and other factors causing a +/- to that total. Onions and potatoes are really the only items I can think of that require the full season. Corn maybe too, but I don't have a big enough plot for that. I've planted bush beans for dry beans at the beginning of August. In fact, I have two gardens every year: spring and fall. :)

I've just spent the last 2 hours out there this morning. I got such a late start on the garden this year, things are behind schedule, but still growing. I'm going to post pics after the work is done today and compare them to the pics I took a few weeks ago.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Most things have a 45-60 day time frame to fruit, weather and other factors causing a +/- to that total. Onions and potatoes are really the only items I can think of that require the full season. Corn maybe too, but I don't have a big enough plot for that. I've planted bush beans for dry beans at the beginning of August. In fact, I have two gardens every year: spring and fall. :)

I've just spent the last 2 hours out there this morning. I got such a late start on the garden this year, things are behind schedule, but still growing. I'm going to post pics after the work is done today and compare them to the pics I took a few weeks ago.

Ive planted tomatoes, onions, corn, assorted peppers, pumpkins and watermelons. Ill get some new pics soon

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Just had corn on the cob for lunch and supper and a fresh dug baked potatoe at supper. Tomatoes are loaded but not ripening yet, need to pick peppers. Everything looks great.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Tomatoes: lots of them coming on, none ripe yet.
    Green beans: enjoyed our first picking Sunday night and will probably have more tonight. Next week or two they will be putting out enough to can.
    Peppers: Lots of them, first bell-pepper almost ripe
    Potatoes: Not sure if they are dying down naturally or if blight/somethingelse got them but they are starting to die back.
    Lettuce is long over with but watermelons are backfilling nicely.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Tomatoes: Loads of green ones still on the vine. Probably start harvesting them by the end of the month.
    Cucumbers: Bunch of little ones, none worth picking yet.
    Carrots: Lush, green, thick. Need to pick one, see how big they are.
    Pole beans: Need a bigger support... maybe put in a trellis?
    Squash and Zucchini: Lush, huge, lots of little squashes (squashi?) that are growing.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I cut a bunch of smaller, low end branches off hoping to spur some upper growth and bigger tomatoes.

I got about five little tomatoes going so far with blooms on others.

This is my blackberry patch. It is an older picture from last month, but they are green now.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Tomatos and tomatillos full of bloom and setting fruit.
    Turnips are a week or 2 away, then I'll plant more for just greens.
    Beets are 3 weeks away at most and then spinach and brussel sprouts will go into that space.
    Rabbits crushed my bush beans, so I'm planting some dragon tongue beans one night this week.
    Herbs are jamming.
    Lettuce mixes are a continuous thing.
    Peach tree is loaded and shouldn't be long now before we start having to can preserves and jam. Everyone really likes rasberry/peach jam.

I didn't do any type of peppers or zuch/squash this year, so we may go the u-pick route on those and few other things.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Sorry guys, I haven't visited this thread for a few days.

I am in New Castle and the sweet corn will probably be ready to start picking next weekend. (7-20)

I will keep you guys updated on the progress if you want to come out.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Mama picked green beans last nite...buckwheat starting to ripen...oats and corn look terrible ..no more uncomposted horse manure for me....too many weeds. Wife's garden looks great, but needs constant weeding. Been eating out of it for weeks, even had potatoes last week. Next year I hope to supplement composted horse poo with rabbit and chicken poo.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I've had ripe peppers for about 3-4 weeks not but am having some blight issues on a few plants. Ended up yanking and burning the 3 worst in the hopes of stemming the spread. I think it is due to a little too much rain in conjunction with lanscape fabric and mulch around them keeping the soil too wet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Top Bottom