• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Personally I use florescent orange on the front and a florescent green on the rear. It stands out like a sore thumb. Both my 1911 and my S&W 640 are painted. Both are my carry's. 640 as a bug.

I can give you the paint name and numbers if you like. It's just finger nail polish I got at Walgreens. I'd go after dark. They expect stuff like that at that time :-) Or get the wife or GF.

That is a super idea. My Range Officer (all of them) is a pain in low light to get the front sight into frame. I have used a drop of white paint on the blade and it helps but the offset colors might be even better. Not sure how the green would look. I do not want to loose any points on the old man card you know.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As bad as my eyesight is getting those painted front sights are almost a must these days.:)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Beats the alternative, scopes for hunting these days is a requirement. Iron sight guns with a daub of paint have been moved to fun shooting only.:)

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've used Testor's model paint (available in fluorescent colors) to paint the sight pins on my bow. I would think that it would work well on gun sights also.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That is a super idea. My Range Officer (all of them) is a pain in low light to get the front sight into frame. I have used a drop of white paint on the blade and it helps but the offset colors might be even better. Not sure how the green would look. I do not want to loose any points on the old man card you know.

As old as I am and after the medical test I have been threw. Probed in about every orifice (TMI I know) my man card was punched a long time ago! I tried about 10 different colors looking for the highest contrast between the colors. The combo is perfect for my eyes. I have painted a few of my buddy's sight's with the same stuff. Yeah, They were old dude's too.:p I can see it against any back drop. If it works it works!

I can not see a black sight blade. My shots went from just being on paper somewhere at 25 yards to I can hit a popcan 5 out of 10 shots at 50 yards on a good day. I'll lose my man card for that! :cool:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I just stunk up the kitchen by painting the rear sight with green nail polish an leaving the front orange and i like it! my tokarev is unbelievably ugly now though, orange front sight, green rear sight, bluing worn off, and bike inner tube on the grip....it used to be so pretty.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I've used Testor's model paint (available in fluorescent colors) to paint the sight pins on my bow. I would think that it would work well on gun sights also.

+1 on the Testor's - a lot of good colors and available at any hobby store. I use the white, orange, and chartreuse. I clean the sight with alcohol, then put two or three thin layers on with dry time in between. I've also used a white base coat to make the colors a bit brighter.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just stunk up the kitchen by painting the rear sight with green nail polish an leaving the front orange and i like it! my tokarev is unbelievably ugly now though, orange front sight, green rear sight, bluing worn off, and bike inner tube on the grip....it used to be so pretty.

Isn't it cool how the front stands out against the green. Weird combo but good.

yxc301

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Maryland with relatives in IN.
    +1 on the fishing jig paint. They carry it at most any decent tackle store or you can order online. One tip I have found. Do a base coat of white and let it dry thoroughly. Then apply your glow in the dark fluorescent color. The white base layer makes a huge difference in the brightness when applied on a black front sight. I've done this on a few firearms now.
    A base coat of silver is also good.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BA33940_med.jpg

Top Bottom