• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've got the same front, but a slot in the top strap for the rear. I also need to do something. I was thinking about cutting a part of the front blade out and adding the orange plastic insert like other sights have, but I don't know if I want to go quite that far.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I've got the same front, but a slot in the top strap for the rear. I also need to do something. I was thinking about cutting a part of the front blade out and adding the orange plastic insert like other sights have, but I don't know if I want to go quite that far.

What brand and model do you have? Is it hard to replace the sight.

I have a S&W 617 that I put this on View attachment 25151 It required a drill press and a small numbered size drill. But I just got a stainless model 15 and want to paint the front sight.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Personally I use florescent orange on the front and a florescent green on the rear. It stands out like a sore thumb. Both my 1911 and my S&W 640 are painted. Both are my carry's. 640 as a bug.

I can give you the paint name and numbers if you like. It's just finger nail polish I got at Walgreens. I'd go after dark. They expect stuff like that at that time :-) Or get the wife or GF.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Personally I use florescent orange on the front and a florescent green on the rear. It stands out like a sore thumb. Both my 1911 and my S&W 640 are painted. Both are my carry's. 640 as a bug.

I can give you the paint name and numbers if you like. It's just finger nail polish I got at Walgreens. I'd go after dark. They expect stuff like that at that time :-) Or get the wife or GF.

That's just orange polish? Yes, please tell me the color. I will try that instead of hacking up my sight.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Or if you want some glow in the dark properties try Fishing Lure paint.
    That's ^ what I did.
    Green.

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Both are Studio M brand. Neon Greenlight and Orange Hot. I put them on in layers. I let them dry about 5 minutes between coats. It is hard as plastic. It has been on the 640 for about a year and a half. 3 on the 1911. I figured I would just redo it if it wore off but it hasn't yet. Wipe the area with a little alcohol to make sure there is no oil on the sight. Remoil and Hoppy's doesn't remove it. But Acetone will if you don't like it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    1911Ly, that is a great idea and it looks really good on your pistol.

Gregkl, is yours a K frame? If so here is a bit of info. Front sight insert for fixed-sight K frame

I watched a Midway video on that last night. That looks promising. I'll have to check my blade though. I think it is thinner on the 13 and it may not have enough width to "hold" the plastic insert.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    i used orange nail polish on the front sight of my tokarev. It was a fluorescent yellow but sis got some new nail polish for christmas and i can see the orange alot better. I have also used white out but it isnt very durable so i use it on hooded rifle sights. I want to try some lure paint now.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There is glow in the dark nail polish also. What I'm not sure of is whether glow in the dark paint (whether lure paint or nail polish) needs to be exposed to light to glow? My cc and nightstand gun are both in the dark all the time.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    There is glow in the dark nail polish also. What I'm not sure of is whether glow in the dark paint (whether lure paint or nail polish) needs to be exposed to light to glow? My cc and nightstand gun are both in the dark all the time.

Glow in the Dark paint will have to be charged by light. Tritium is the only self charging product that I know of. It can't be added as a liquid due to the fact it is radioactive and in a capsule.

I have TruGlo TFO sight on most all of my pistols. When it comes out of the biometric safe attached to the nightstand it glows nice and bright.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    +1 on the fishing jig paint. They carry it at most any decent tackle store or you can order online. One tip I have found. Do a base coat of white and let it dry thoroughly. Then apply your glow in the dark fluorescent color. The white base layer makes a huge difference in the brightness when applied on a black front sight. I've done this on a few firearms now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    +1 on the fishing jig paint. They carry it at most any decent tackle store or you can order online. One tip I have found. Do a base coat of white and let it dry thoroughly. Then apply your glow in the dark fluorescent color. The white base layer makes a huge difference in the brightness when applied on a black front sight. I've done this on a few firearms now.

Thanks for the tip on the white paint. Dnurk, look for me at some Appleseed's this year! Let me know ones you will be doing and I'll try to make one. Also, PM me if there is a way to attend multiple 'seeds for a reduced price. Like maybe joining RWVA or something.

Top Bottom