• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Forgive my ignorance but could the thick smoke be acceleration?
    Yup. Probably in reverse.
    I noticed that. I was watching the car headlights cross the bridge in the videos. Thinking “oooh which car is the last one to cross before it all goes down…”

Then right before the crash, I didn’t see any headlights.
    Thank God.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Another thing I remember about propeller/rudder boats is that when you use reverse it pulls the stern around to the left. Probably has to do with propeller rotation but I used that to get the boat square to the dock. You also had to eb aware of it when putting it on a trailer as using reverse to slow down would change your direction.

Watching that video I'm guessing they went full power reverse, hence the smoke, but that pulled the stern around actually pointing the ship at the piling.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Another thing I remember about propeller/rudder boats is that when you use reverse it pulls the stern around to the left. Probably has to do with propeller rotation but I used that to get the boat square to the dock. You also had to eb aware of it when putting it on a trailer as using reverse to slow down would change your direction.

Watching that video I'm guessing they went full power reverse, hence the smoke, but that pulled the stern around actually pointing the ship at the piling.
    Something tells me this 1,000' container ship handles a bit differently than a Mastercraft or the 37' inboard cruiser I had...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    There are verifiably, demonstrably incorrect things in that screed. The boat wasn't in the channel? There wasn't a harbor pilot?

Everybody needs a conspiracy theory, I guess.
    If the past few years have taught you anything, it should be that all reporting within hours of an incident should be take with a grain of salt.

Bottom line is, this is a big blow to not just Baltimore, but a much bigger area...

I'm sure Home Depot is in panic mode right now...

Screenshot_20240326_145833_Messages.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If the past few years have taught you anything, it should be that all reporting within hours of an incident should be take with a grain of salt.

Bottom line is, this is a big blow to not just Baltimore, but a much bigger area...

View attachment 342657
    Sparrows Point is below Key Bridge.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Okay, but what does that have to do with someone peddling a conspiracy theory?

There are ship trackers available. They show that the ship was in fact in the channel, prior to losing power. For example:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Okay, but what does that have to do with someone peddling a conspiracy theory?

There are ship trackers available. They show that the ship was in fact in the channel, prior to losing power. For example:

I didn't share that tweet to peddle a "conspiracy theory"... but it does a good job showing the bridge collapse impact

Yep, MarineTraffic.com....

The ship also had mechanical deficiencies at a prior port, so this could just be really sh*tty luck, still doesn't change the impact the bridge going down will have...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I didn't share that tweet to peddle a "conspiracy theory"... but it does a good job showing the bridge collapse impact

Yep, MarineTraffic.com....

The ship also had mechanical deficiencies at a prior port, so this could just be really sh*tty luck, still doesn't change the impact the bridge going down will have...
    I agree with you on the economic impact (first, second, and third order). I just dispute the linked/quoted tweet that claims intel sources are saying this was an attack.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Obviously there will be an impact, but I believe we will be surprised at how quickly the channel is opened and other shipping arrangements are made. Money is a great motivator.
    Oh, I imagine the channel will be opened in a matter of days... weeks, at most.

The bridge could theoretically be rebuilt/replaced in about a year.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Oh, I imagine the channel will be opened in a matter of days... weeks, at most.

The bridge could theoretically be rebuilt/replaced in about a year.
    Don't underestimate this administrations ability to F stuff up.

Carriers have been blanking sailings and rolling vessels in an effort to keep freight rates up, add this in and they'll take full advantage of it...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm sure the angles can be deceiving, but looks to me like it turned into the pylon?

It looked to me as if it was headed about at a 45 degree angle to the bridge planning to turn to starboard to pass under it perpendicularly. It appears to lose power around the time it would be making that turn, then when power comes back it looked like they knew they were late making the turn and went hard over. Then when the power failed for good, they were unable to return the rudder to amidships, wound up overcorrecting and hit the other pylon

Top Bottom