• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm curious how much blow-back there will be on this statement, even though it is pretty obvious. Given how many companies are supplying information to the state, it is only a question of when, not if, this information will be used against their customers.

Ford Exec: 'We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law' Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car - Business Insider

I understand that GPS and integration with various services can be a benefit to drivers. But is there any benefit to the customer in keeping past GPS info or is it strictly a risk for the customer?

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Uh, no they don't. Until they have biometrics in the car, they have NO idea who is driving. They know where and how fast the CAR is going, but that is it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Oh, trust me. I hate this monitoring crap.

I've told my wife I want to build my next truck. Find a nice straight frame and cab, mechanical diesel, and NO electronic gimmicks.

We stopped an looked at a Tesla for kicks the other day. You want electronic monitoring? That thing can probably suggest restaurants nearby based on the compositions of your sweat!

Lecaia713

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Uh, no they don't. Until they have biometrics in the car, they have NO idea who is driving. They know where and how fast the CAR is going, but that is it.

I would imagine it would be very easy to integrate biometrics with the button start ignition systems so many cars have nowadays.

In answer to the OP, the only thing I can think of that would make data collection benefit the customer would be evidence related to traffic accidents or tickets. IE, officer said I was going 10 over, the data proves I was only 5 over, or i was in the position at this speed when the accident occurred. However, it would probably cost more than the ticket or fine to get the data, so it may be a wash.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    And then there is OnStar. "Always there for you". This is why GM products have no interest to me. Now Ford too? I guess my 96 Suburban will just have to keep running.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you're worried about Ford knowing how fast you're driving you may want to consider how much Verizon (or any other cell carrier) knows when you're cell phone is in use while being tracked going 75 mph on the highway. If it's not the car, it's the phone or some other device.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    In answer to the OP, the only thing I can think of that would make data collection benefit the customer would be evidence related to traffic accidents or tickets. IE, officer said I was going 10 over, the data proves I was only 5 over, or i was in the position at this speed when the accident occurred. However, it would probably cost more than the ticket or fine to get the data, so it may be a wash.

I thought there was already a device on newer cars that tracked all kinds of car data in the event of a crash, so that isn't really a benefit at all. Besides, I'm not aware of any car (or phone) company that offers to let you have your own location data. It is for company and government access only.

If you're worried about Ford knowing how fast you're driving you may want to consider how much Verizon (or any other cell carrier) knows when you're cell phone is in use while being tracked going 75 mph on the highway. If it's not the car, it's the phone or some other device.

Oh, I'm very aware of that. I'm still waiting for the first documented case of: "There was a major crime. Bring in all of the owners of cars parked within a couple of blocks for questioning."

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Currently if you loan your car to a friend, and said friend drives the Illinois Toll Road without stopping to pay the tolls, guess who's responsible. You, the car owner. I can see a similar fate with what the OP posted.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Another reason to not buy Ford.

To buy or not buy a Ford isn't really about the issue. ANY car with the new GPS, theft control, Internet, Phone and whatever other silly features has the ability to be monitored. Any wire (or antenna) that can bring information in can also take it out. We used Ford in this example but you might as well list darn near every car in the showroom. Even if the OEM has zero interest in monitoring, anyone that wants to monitor can.

Even before the whole world was under the cloud, I bought an early nineties used car that ended up needing a catylictic Converter. The mileage appeared to be well under the 80,000 emission warranty. When I took it in, they plugged equipment into the cars ignition computer, and said the car was out of mileage, because the computer keeps track of the mileage. The Speedo had been reset, but the crooks didn't know about the CPU memory. The Dealer figured out a way to warranty the part, but they really didn't have to. Of course back then, it took a cord to get to the memory.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I think my Fords are clean so to speak, although I remember seeing something along the lines of RFID chips being installed on tires. Looks like redundant systems in place with phones ,onstar,tablets etc. It would seem that the only way to have any privacy is to walk everywhere with nothing but a pistol strapped to the hip.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    To buy or not buy a Ford isn't really about the issue. ANY car with the new GPS, theft control, Internet, Phone and whatever other silly features has the ability to be monitored. Any wire (or antenna) that can bring information in can also take it out. We used Ford in this example but you might as well list darn near every car in the showroom. Even if the OEM has zero interest in monitoring, anyone that wants to monitor can.

Even before the whole world was under the cloud, I bought an early nineties used car that ended up needing a catylictic Converter. The mileage appeared to be well under the 80,000 emission warranty. When I took it in, they plugged equipment into the cars ignition computer, and said the car was out of mileage, because the computer keeps track of the mileage. The Speedo had been reset, but the crooks didn't know about the CPU memory. The Dealer figured out a way to warranty the part, but they really didn't have to. Of course back then, it took a cord to get to the memory.

Oh I agree. Ford isn't the only that is or will be doing this. I'm just not a Ford fan.:)

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I see I bright future in selling pre- 1980 cars and trucks! No emissions, no GPS, dirt cheap ins. I have a 1977 AMC Pacer for sale, I'll start the bidding at $500!:):

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Sure about that? Friend has a '78 Bronco and the original 351 had a smog pump on it. The 7.3 IDI in it now however is emissions free. :D
    Pretty sure anything 1996 or older is a non emission tested vehicle. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I see I bright future in selling pre- 1980 cars and trucks! No emissions, no GPS, dirt cheap ins. I have a 1977 AMC Pacer for sale, I'll start the bidding at $500!:):

Get a dozen extra hall effect switches for the ignition and a dozen door hinge pin bushings and you can keep that old fish bowl car running forever. For as funny of looking as the Pacer is, it is a very easy car to live with on a day to day basis. Kind of like an ugly woman who turns out to be a great wife.

Top Bottom