• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You know how 8th grade boys talk about sex? Lots of zeal but little understanding.

There seems to very little understanding of Indiana law there.

No "since".:D

On the face of it, you could carry in Ind. prohibited places just because you could do it in your own state.
    dunno.gif
    dunno.gif

There is no extraterritorial jurisdiction under Indiana law (ignoring hot pursuit). Indiana law prohibiting carry in certain places, e.g. school property, is NOT trumped because you can carry in Michigan on school property.l

Indiana law governs. Indiana law says that one must carry according to the terms of the license. Thus, if your Tejas license says only revolvers, then you carry revolvers. If your California license lists four handguns that you can carry, then you carry one of those four handguns.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I know this is not a great answer but officers don't need to make this more complicated than it already is. If a visitor to Indiana has a valid permit from their state, it should be as if they have a valid LTCH through Indiana subject to our laws. Considering our laws are pretty good, my job is pretty easy.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    You know how 8th grade boys talk about sex? Lots of zeal but little understanding.

There seems to very little understanding of Indiana law there.

No "since".:D

There is no extraterritorial jurisdiction under Indiana law (ignoring hot pursuit). Indiana law prohibiting carry in certain places, e.g. school property, is NOT trumped because you can carry in Michigan on school property.l

Indiana law governs. Indiana law says that one must carry according to the terms of the license. Thus, if your Tejas license says only revolvers, then you carry revolvers. If your California license lists four handguns that you can carry, then you carry one of those four handguns.

That's how I take it, and still obey Ind. rules. You still have to follow rules of whichever state you're in.
    Interesting thread over there.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The way I see it is most leo's don't even know all of the laws regarding our ltch so how are they supposed to know those of another state.

Can you blame them honestly? Most of the people who have a LTCH don't really know the laws either.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    Can you blame them honestly? Most of the people who have a LTCH don't really know the laws either.

I don't blame them at all. I think that is another problem is there are too many laws about one specific thing is quite confusing to read and anyone could take it to mean anything they want and some can contradict other laws. Kind of like how it is a federal offense to carry on any airplane but stand your ground laws say it is legal to use a weapon in means to stop the hijacking of an airplane.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    It's that kind of itch, tickling the back of your mind, when Dunkin' Donuts puts up a 2-fer-1 sign out front but you're 5 miles away curb stomping a 90 year old diabetic grandmother for letting the right license plate light get dimmer than the left.

She shouldn't have been driving at that age anyway.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...There is no extraterritorial jurisdiction under Indiana law (ignoring hot pursuit). Indiana law prohibiting carry in certain places, e.g. school property, is NOT trumped because you can carry in Michigan on school property.l

I'm gonna go with Kirk's observations, so :+1:

While the 'nay-sayers' opine "How's the IN LEO gonna know when s/he doesn't even know the laws of their own State?", I would opine that MAY be true, but with modern communications (e.g., laptops in squads), it's sure NOT difficult for 'em to look it up while YOU'RE waiting for them to do so.

IMO, the best 'general' concept is to go with the most 'restrictive' requirement, whether that's your 'home' State or IN. Then you're covered, whichever way it pans out. WHY ruin a vacation or visit 'pushing the envelope' for the simple sake of doing so? :dunno:

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm gonna go with Kirk's observations, so :+1:

While the 'nay-sayers' opine "How's the IN LEO gonna know when s/he doesn't even know the laws of their own State?", I would opine that MAY be true, but with modern communications (e.g., laptops in squads), it's sure NOT difficult for 'em to look it up while YOU'RE waiting for them to do so.

IMO, the best 'general' concept is to go with the most 'restrictive' requirement, whether that's your 'home' State or IN. Then you're covered, whichever way it pans out. WHY ruin a vacation or visit 'pushing the envelope' for the simple sake of doing so? :dunno:
    While Indiana law SAYS that, there is no punishment provision to enforce it.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I agree with Kirk and ModernGunner:
    “Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.” IC 35-47-2-21(b) (emphasis added)

It could be whatever is the most restrictive. If a person has a license from a state that prohibits carry in bars, then they perhaps they can't carry in an Indiana bar, because Indiana's reciprocity doesn't expand what a person's home state allows them to do. However, it's not a crime to carry in a bar in Indiana, so I don't think that would be the case. Maybe the restrictions have to be on the license, such as the particular firearm that person has permission to carry.

Last edited:

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Crazy stuff, right. Here, with my CCW, I can carry my M4 loaded with 30 rd. mags into the state General Assembly. I won't do it here, nor elsewhere though.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Crazy stuff, right. Here, with my CCW, I can carry my M4 loaded with 30 rd. mags into the state General Assembly. I won't do it here, nor elsewhere though.
    No need for a "CCW" to carry ANY rifle here. Not sure of the legality of carrying any firearm into the GA here.

Top Bottom