• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    I think we are a long way from arming teachers in public schools in Indiana.

Federal courthouses have set a pretty good example on building security. You are not going to come in and leave through multiple unlocked doors; anyone entering the building is going to be met by armed professionals at the door; anyone entering is going to walk through a metal detector; anyone entering is going to have everything they carry in searched; etc.

Schools with thousands of students are going to need to build the security measures to scale, but it is an issue of money...not an issue of it can't be done.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    “If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ”
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think we are a long way from arming teachers in public schools in Indiana.

Federal courthouses have set a pretty good example on building security. You are not going to come in and leave through multiple unlocked doors; anyone entering the building is going to be met by armed professionals at the door; anyone entering is going to walk through a metal detector; anyone entering is going to have everything they carry in searched; etc.

Schools with thousands of students are going to need to build the security measures to scale, but it is an issue of money...not an issue of it can't be done.

If you search the kids the same way it's done in airports the kids will have to show up 3 hours before their class begins.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    If you search the kids the same way it's done in airports the kids will have to show up 3 hours before their class begins.
    And will be bigger targets waiting to get into school. The flow needs to stay the same. The only answer to this is to let people be armed because they are the TRUE first responders and deterrence.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    And will be bigger targets waiting to get into school. The flow needs to stay the same. The only answer to this is to let people be armed because they are the TRUE first responders and deterrence.

Good point.
    A few terrorist attacks happened right outside the security screening area.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    When I went to school (class of '91) my teachers were armed... No ones going to go after a target that can shoot back and if they do it sucks to be them.
    For the life of me I can't see why folks can't see that creating gun free zones just creates a safety zone for nutballs to do stuff like this because they know they can get away with it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Wonderful question. I would also ask how the murderer got into the school in the first place, and then I would want to know why the School Resource Officer assigned to the school did not engage the murderer. Tough questions, yes. They need to be answered.
    It was a school of maybe 6k kids? The campus was set up much like that of a college campus, many buildings and kids travel between them to get to each class. That is a hard layout to lock-down unlike the schools we have here in Indiana. With such a large campus and so many kids, a single SRO could have had a difficult time getting to the shooter in time.

NWIs&wShield

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2017
    NWI
    I saddened myself, upon reflection, that I admit some of my earliest thoughts after this crime was how the anti-gun movement would take advantage of this, rather than personally grieving more for the families involved.

Turns out my initial instinct was correct.
    It has been an internet firestorm from the first moments, and still it continues.

False facts and oversimplifications abound.
    The same methodology that has been employed for sweeping cultural viewpoints and laws changing over the last 10-20 years...constant and fevered repetition of a viewpoint without verified data and actual dialogue.

I admit concern that public opinion is quickly being swayed, thanks to late-night hosts, biased newscasts, and daytime tv talk shows.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It was a school of maybe 6k kids? The campus was set up much like that of a college campus, many buildings and kids travel between them to get to each class. That is a hard layout to lock-down unlike the schools we have here in Indiana. With such a large campus and so many kids, a single SRO could have had a difficult time getting to the shooter in time.

3,000 students. Smaller than Carmel or Warren Central and Ben Davis. The size of Avon, Brownsburg.

It is a lot for any one person to monitor.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    3,000 students. Smaller than Carmel or Warren Central and Ben Davis. The size of Avon, Brownsburg.

It is a lot for any one person to monitor.

Which begs the question, what's the point of a single resource officer? Is one in a situation that's too big worth the expense, or is it primarily for the optics?

It would suck to be the one guy responsible for solving everyone's problems if a decent percentage of the student body decided to assert themselves in some bad acts. A Texas Ranger might be able to handle that if his name if Cordell Walker, but not a regular person.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    All true, but consider this: a teacher in a classroom will know exactly who doesn't belong in their classroom. It may get chaotic immediately, but someone who is on scene before the situation arises and intimately familiar with the room(s) and the people who are there will have a completely different experience than police officers coming in from offsite or even coming from another area of the building.

Let the teachers who want to be armed be armed. Train them and make them pass some challenging assessments pertinent to the potential scenarios in addition to the marksmanship and gun handling. They are among the first victims as well as potential victims themselves and they should be the first line of defense if for no other reason than proximity. They can then more effectively do everything they can to help until the police can arrive en masse and take over any remaining resolution that is necessary.

Couldn't rep you - so QFT ...

As the son of a (now retired) teacher - he and I agree on this -
    No to forcing all teachers to carry; there are plenty of morons. (he's told me there were some I would not have even sat in their class room or he'd have gone to the admin.)
    BUT allow the one's (and those others of us) who WANT to carry - to carry.

Rhino - spot on the ID of target / trouble. - and no one in their right mind is saying for teachers to turn into hunters - if they aren't up for it. then no - just gaurd yourself and your own.
    I'd be happy to seem them just protect their classroom and as a saying I saw the other day "Sweep their own porch and sidewalk" . maybe keep an eye outside the door.

Its kind of like having the gun for home invasion - YOU the home owner, should KNOW who the bad guy is and isn't - ... way better than the police too.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Good analogy and call....When I first saw the school on the news it seemed about the size of IUS here in Southern Indiana...Sprawling....

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I think we need to rethink how children are educated in the USA. We need to move from this idea that the government is responsible for their education. We have great technology these days so why do we really need a "school" for kids to go too. Online learning is very available in the USA. I think this is a good option provided it meets the child's needs and does not conflict with other family responsibilities. If we want to keep the status quo the school system should offer online learning as an option. Students could still participate in school activities. Schools would be open for tutoring if needed. online options may not fit with every situation but who says they need a physical building to learn. Parents can keep them at home and safe.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    But where will they put the Coliseum? Who will play the games to entertain the community?

IN has an online HS...and homeschooling is huge here.

Top Bottom