• 1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    LP LP
    Rotary phones still work?

I've got one upstairs that was in Great Grandma's house. Maybe I need to bring it on down. Not sure how to adapt the old connector to modern phone jacks though.
    It probably still works.Check it for a plug .If it has to be hard wired,it is the red and green wire that is hot.Let me know if you need help.I keep it because if power goes out.....it still works.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    LP LP It probably still works.Check it for a plug .If it has to be hard wired,it is the red and green wire that is hot.Let me know if you need help.I keep it because if power goes out.....it still works.
    Square plug with four pins. I see some adapters online. Might get one just for the fun of it.

Leadeye, there are still usable models of bag phone. The Motorola M800 works on CDMA and the M900 on GSM networks.

Motorola3watts, Motorola 3 watt and half watt digital and analog bag and install cellular phone I have not purchased from this company so I can not speak to their trustworthiness, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Haha, fwiw, some of us choose flip phones for reason other than the technology factor or our age. I'm a young guy and I choose a flipper because I don't like the bulk and higher risk of breakage you get with smart phones. I'm on my knees, up/down, in contorted positions, I work with grease/oil etc, I keep my phone in my pocket (belt holster not an option). Smart phones just don't work well in that environment. Not to mention constantly worrying about charging the battery. My wife's phone MUST be charged every day. Go out of town for more than a day and you have to pack a bag for the phone too. When I go out of town, as long as it's not more than a week, I leave the charger at home and just take the phone...

Now let us flippers have our thread where we can mutually support each other's decisions to stay in the dark ages of technology... :)

Keep on flipping!!:cool:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wife and I do a lot of hiking in the desert southwest. I stayed with yestertech phones longer than most because I valued the ability to ping an analog tower, which many of the rural towers still were. When the world finally went completely digital I cheerfully did the same with no regrets.

Still won't accept the company leash/phone, though

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The old bag phones had something like 3 watts of broadcast power while modern phones have closer to .6 watts.

The effective range was still less, though, maybe because of poor coverage/fewer towers. I had a lot of trouble getting/keeping a signal with our old bag phone.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Did anybody mention that I charge my flip phone once a week whether I need to or not....... Android gets about 10 hours on a charge.

I did make mention that in order to take a smart phone out of town for more than a day you have to pack it's own bag (implying you need a charger etc), whereas, if I'm going out of town for less than a week with my flip-phone the charger stays home.

IE, I just looked at verizons flip phone options. Some of them have stand-by battery life of up to 20 DAYS...

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I carry a Tactical Reconnaissance And Communications Phone.
    Otherwise known as Tracfone. :)
    It's black... just like my M&P!
    352f0f43-b91c-46da-bd80-729125f91739_400.jpg

$40 gets me about 2.5 months of usehttps://www.google.com/search?safe=...ved=0ahUKEwi-_8ComMPNAhVrw4MKHQgkCXkQvwUIGygA

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    This is 2016. The time for carrying flip phones, revolvers, and 1911's is over. This is the world of carrying smart phones, Glocks and M&P's.

You old folks need to get with the times.

Communism!!!!!! I carry a 1911 and a smartphone every day and I also refuse to participate in the "Tactical Tupperware" that is polymer pistols.

Edit: Also probably younger than you too!!!

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Hey!
    This thread is about flip phones! Not flip guns!

So if I mention that I bought a Ruger SP101 in .22lr yesterday will I get in trouble?

I have accidentally left my phone in my pocket when I threw my shirt in the wash and it still works!! Try that with your fancy phones!!!*

*I accept no responsibility if you try and your phone is damaged.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I know this is going to sound like blasphemy, and maybe it warrants it's own thread, but does anybody know if a "flip smart-phone" exists? Something with the screen and numbers shielded but has the convenient features of a smart phone? I think thats about the only way to get me to upgrade to a smartphone...

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I know this is going to sound like blasphemy, and maybe it warrants it's own thread, but does anybody know if a "flip smart-phone" exists? Something with the screen and numbers shielded but has the convenient features of a smart phone? I think thats about the only way to get me to upgrade to a smartphone...
    Yes, they do. The LG Wine Smart hit the market a year or two back. It's available pretty much anywhere but the United States. I would be very interested in one if they'd import them.

There are also a few models by Chinese and Japanese companies.

Top Bottom