• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    So I get home from trying out my girlfriend's new XD with her last night and what do I find in my mailbox? Yep, my brand new LTCH! Man, am I excited. Considering I never even fired a gun until last Sunday, it's a little crazy to think that I can grab my keys, wallet, and 9mm on the way out the door. Very sobering, yet very cool. I haven't decided if I actually want to carry it on a daily basis, but I suspect that as I get more comfortable with my new hobby (lifestyle?) I'll find myself carrying a handgun from time to time.

Celebrations aside, I want to hear about other people's early experiences carrying a gun. Tell me about what it was like, what you learned, or what you wish you had or hadn't done the first few times you carried!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yes, be safe and responsible. Check out the Tactics and Training forum for class offerings in your area. You may be able to carry legally now, but you still need the 'software' side of the equation.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Congratulations! I carried for the first time yesterday, and it was a little strange for me. I was always thinking about everything I did, and whether it would be "exposed" i.e. grabbing my wallet, or phone. I am using a Fobus now, but I think an IWB holster may be a better solution. I just don't want to think about it, when I'm doing routine activities. Or, have to wear bagging clothing everywhere I go. Did you, or anyone else, experience this as well? Again, congrats. It's nice to get the first time jitters out of the way!!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Did you, or anyone else, experience this as well?

It's pretty common.

Finding the right combination of holster and belt will work wonders though. Every 'carry newb' ends up with a box of unused holsters at some point.

Heck, I thought a UM nylon shoulder holster was a good idea when I first started carrying! lol

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    So I get home from trying out my girlfriend's new XD with her last night and what do I find in my mailbox? Yep, my brand new LTCH! Man, am I excited. Considering I never even fired a gun until last Sunday, it's a little crazy to think that I can grab my keys, wallet, and 9mm on the way out the door. Very sobering, yet very cool. I haven't decided if I actually want to carry it on a daily basis, but I suspect that as I get more comfortable with my new hobby (lifestyle?) I'll find myself carrying a handgun from time to time.

Celebrations aside, I want to hear about other people's early experiences carrying a gun. Tell me about what it was like, what you learned, or what you wish you had or hadn't done the first few times you carried!

:patriot: Congratulations!

Sounds similar to my experience. Did you just purchase your 9mm this past weekend as well? What did you get? When did you apply for your carry permit?

I have not carried yet. Trying to select a holster and not sure if I will carry routinely or not.

See my posting below to read about my LTCH aquisition experience if you like.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...60417-new_carry_permit_received_and_fast.html

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Heck, I thought a UM nylon shoulder holster was a good idea when I first started carrying! lol

After yesterday, I have to admit that this option did cross my mind :)

So, any gun shops out there have a "dressing room"? Anyway, the search is on..any recommendations on a comfortable well concealed option for a compact model?

Sorry jpo, I don't mean to hijack this thread. If this is no use to you I will ask it in a different thread. Thanks in advance.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So, any gun shops out there have a "dressing room"? Anyway, the search is on..any recommendations on a comfortable well concealed option for a compact model?

Unfortunately, its tough for the local shops to stock holsters, especially for any guns other than Glocks.

Online is your best bet. Trial 'n Error seems to be the way.

You can do a search on "holster" here on INGO and finds lots of opinions and recommendations.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Congrats to you!!
    I too am new(er) to this lifestyle. And I have to admit my first few times carrying i was always pulling down at my shirt (don't say a word, Jay) and was somewhat uncomfortable. It felt like everyone knew I was carrying and looking at me.

It took a while, and to be honest I am still a tad uncomfortable from time to time. But it's getting better. After I got some kick butt training, I feel a lot more confident. And I'm pretty sure it's only going to go up from here.
    I feel safer...I feel more aware of my surroundings. I feel the best I've felt, in a long time.

Keep a good mindset. Know that chances are, no one even knows you are carrying. Continue to be aware of your surroundings, now more so than ever (imo). Get a holster that fits "you". Research, research, research.

And if you have any issues, ask an old Marine. They know all.

Good luck!

gunfun101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Congrats! I have cc for about 5 yrs now and although i have never had to use it, i feel a lot better having it on me just in case.

markz68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Connersville, IN
    Congrats to you. Keep us posted on your progress with finding holsters and such.

I just received my LTCH last week. I haven't carried yet either. I need to find out what kind of holster I need for my Glock 27. I wish I knew someone with a box of holsters I could try out to see what I like so I don't end up with my own box.

I also have a 5.11 5in1 field jacket that is Back-Up Belt System™ compatible, so I should find a holster for it too. Coincidentally, I had no desire to be a gun owner when I bought the coat.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I applied about a month ago, but hadn't picked up my first handgun until a few days ago. It's a Hi Point C9 and I picked it up mainly because my future better half was buying an XD9 sc from her dad--I figured the C9 would be a fun, reasonably reliable thing to take to the range and scare home intruders with (though I've got a shotgun as my primary HD weapon). My lovely girlfriend--who a month ago wanted nothing to do with guns in any capacity--informed me after coming home from the range today that my C9 was a little too heavy and had more recoil than her XD, but that I could borrow her Springfield any time I wanted. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I won't be carrying that Hi Point until I pick up a pair of MC Hammer-style parachute pants. But, there's always that XD...

I totally agree with the "take classes" mentality. Believe me, I still find the idea of walking around with a loaded firearm intimidating. I looked through the training forum but, admittedly, not very much--hey, I'm lazy. Anyone have any recommendations for CCW classes in the NE Indiana region to look into?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

I know it's different, but I can rememer first carrying when I was in the service LEO. Just the looks people gave you. It was kinda werid at first, but I got over that quickly.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.

Well, don't wear the Cheeseburger in Paradise T shirt ! The third time carrying (iwb) @ 7:00, the wife and I are in line for ice cream when I hear "we're going to be poking at your shirt" She had a cute little guy in her arms, maybe 2-3 yrs. old, and proceeded to point out animals and plants of interest on my shirt. I'm sure I turned white as a ghost as they both proceeded to poke at my shirt. I froze for an instant wondering what would happen when they decided to poke at the colorful Parrot residing in front of the XD. My observant wife quickly pulled the shirt away from my back and helped the little one point to cool stuff on the shirt.:rolleyes: (thanks, Deb) Anyway, dont wear the Cheesburger in Paradise shirt !!

Top Bottom