• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Of all the games trap requires the most muscle memory. Take a dedicated trap shooter quail hunting and some
    of them can't hit squat. 3 gun shotgun is typically not all that difficult and is more about speed. If a person shoots 5 stand they develop their overall skills and it carries over better to HD, hunting or 3 gun. It is also an easy and affordable way to practice. The people you shoot with on average will be more laid back. Especially on open to public days or ranges.

Trap requires precision, focus and consistent technique and set range of possible angles. Being able to hit a hand sized disc going away from you at 60mph just does not do a lot in terms of practicing for 3 gun. It tends to appeal to the more anal retentive personalities. Hence the possible tension you may experience at a trap club. On the other hand guys like that won't shoot with people they don't know on their squad.

:rockwoot: Sign me up!!!

But seriously, I don't shoot much, mainly skeet with friends, no leagues or groups. This sort of sounds like the OP. If that's the case, OP, get a gun for 3 gun, and consider something with a removable choke.

Remington 870
    I guess you should get an 870 - INGO has spoken. :n00b:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think my crooked eye scares the crap out of folks on the ranges.
    Jack Elam's grandson has a gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Eh, most folks leave me alone, proly because I suck, am scary looking, or forgot my deodorant.

Whatever it is, I like it.

95YJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    East Of Indy
    To stay in price range, you'd get more bang for your buck with a Mossberg...If you wanted the 870 it'll cost a bit more than the Mossberg...Both weapons are extremely reliable...as far as not wanting to be laughed at...Practice, Practice, Practice...Let your shooting Shut Them Up!!!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mossbergs have a thick wrist.
    I dislike that in wingshooting (to each his own).
    The old "Mossberg rattle" gets more annoying as time goes ;)

Back in the day with smoothbore deer hunting, yeah the 500 was a solid buy (lesser price, accuracy better).

Unless somebody in the fam is a lefty, I wouldn't consider one.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have received quite a bit of help from an old timer who is almost too old to shoot now but as he has gotten to know me, he knows he can push me a little. One day he walked up to me on the line and said: "If you lift your head up off the stock one more time, I'm going to kick you in the ass!" We both laughed.
    Sounds a lot like one of the old guys who taught me when I was 14 and worked at a trap club.

This is one of my favorite clays training videos. ALL of it applies to shotgunning. His finger is the front sight. The moon is the clay target. Emotional content is visualizing busting the clay, not thinking about missing. You are there to bust **** up and have fun doing it, not put on an exhibition.

[video=youtube;roY9SaqM0mo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roY9SaqM0mo[/video]

Years back when my GF was learning to shoot sporting clays she started to become too tense, in her mind and especialy in her upper body. After one stage I started tossing shells at her while she was holding a gun, unloaded of course, and she was ducking them trying not to get hit because of course it kind of hurt. Then I pointed out she was able to move while still holding the gun, lighten up Francis and focus on the targets.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds a lot like one of the old guys who taught me when I was 14 and worked at a trap club.

This is one of my favorite clays training videos. ALL of it applies to shotgunning. His finger is the front sight. The moon is the clay target. Emotional content is visualizing busting the clay, not thinking about missing. You are there to bust **** up and have fun doing it, not put on an exhibition.

[video=youtube;roY9SaqM0mo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roY9SaqM0mo[/video]

Years back when my GF was learning to shoot sporting clays she started to become too tense, in her mind and especialy in her upper body. After one stage I started tossing shells at her while she was holding a gun, unloaded of course, and she was ducking them trying not to get hit because of course it kind of hurt. Then I pointed out she was able to move while still holding the gun, lighten up Francis and focus on the targets.

Definitely some tips that can be applied.

How do you guys find these clips?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Grasshopper,

In my case I am old. I am just grabbing favorite scenes from the movies of my youth. You kids don't get great movies these days!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    That's just a waste of time. I never do crap like that, my spidey senses are generally pretty good. Plus when you are old, you dont care if you are wrong.

Also, your non-emotional response to Bruce gave you away as well. When my kid was young I would slap her for no reason and say never take your eyes off opponent.

Top Bottom