• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The only place you will get critical looks for your choice of gun is at trap clubs and trap is the last game you need to be shooting.

I have a Benelli M2 with 26" barrel and +5 mag extension and if I whip it out at a sporting clays or 5 stand course most people want to finger **** it. It is synthetic stocks and park finish but is 20 gauge so catches people's attention. Stick to clays and 5 stand and skeet and no one will care what gun you use. I have a nice looking 21" 1100 that can also do double duty nicely, or I should say triple duty. I use both of these guns for games, clays and hunting. Same goes for a couple of 870's I have.

Curious as to why Trap is the last game he should be shooting?

And what is 5 stand?

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    Everyone is suggesting 870's and different pumps. But IF one of the main purposes for this is multi-gun, I wouldn't go that way. Can you shoot a pump in multi-gun? Yes, but you will want to upgrade to a semi-auto. There is a reason you see so many semi-auto's in multi-gun. Like i said in my previous post, unless you're only planning on shooting heavy metal, i'd go semi auto.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    While any shotgun you can hit with will work, anyone who would recommend a pump gun for skeet and/or trap doubles has either never shot them or is a very accomplished competitor. A new shooter has enough to learn without missing almost all the second shots in doubles because that target is passing the sweet spot while you are shucking the pump. Since the OP's budget will not allow a quality O/U he would be well served with a semi auto. My personal preference would be a Beretta 391, but those have gone up a lot, so an 1100 or 11-87 Remington would be a good gun to look at. I shoot mostly trap, some skeet, some sporting, and some 5 stand. I have used an 1100 wingmaster, 11-87 premier trap, 391 urika parallel, and a number of O/U, mostly Berettas.

I have never figured it out, but there is a bunch of trash talk between the disciplines. Skeet shooters talk smak about trap shooters, trap shooters say skeet guys wear skirts. Sporting guys think trap and skeet are boring, and combat shot gunners are their own breed. They bicker back and forth like a bunch of little girls. Just ignore it and shoot your own gun at your own targets.

If you want to shoot several sports, make sure the gun you select has several sizes of choke tubes, Cylinder or Improved Cylinder, modified and full will get you reasonably set for almost everything.

5 stand basically is a game where the shooter is stationed in five different booths and the puller summons pairs of targets from several different machines that come into your field of view from multiple angles and directions.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I saw a used 1100 synth with 28" Remchoke bbl, good shape, at my LGS a week or so ago for $459.
    I bet they let it go bye bye for $425.
    Lasted only a couple of days.

Walnut and polished blued models with VR and fixed choke fetching 500-550.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have an 870 Tactical for HD and an 870 Express 28" for everything else. I don't shoot competitively, but the 28" did just fine at the family clay bird outing. The 18"... just keep some #00 in it sitting in the closet.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My 870 is a 23" VR Remchoke. It's short enough for HD, quick for bunnies.............and is actually a turkey model (kills em dead).
    It's a little short/light for dove............but I've used it to run 50%.
    Proly not the best choice for a beginner though (for doves).
    My preference on dove and trap is for a 30" bbl, same for geese and ducks. I used an old 1100 magnum with 30" full choke for my first couple of turkeys way back.
    Worked fine, just wanted tighter choke and less to bang into stuff in the dark ;)

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The Remington 870's are good all around pump guns but lets face it. You will get bored and want to step up to a semi auto eventually. So skip the pump and go straight to the semi auto. If you can deal with used then there is no reason you cannot get into a 1100 used for $400. Gun auction in Mattoon, IL next month and there are usually some 1100's and 1187's there. Show up....try your luck at nabbing a deal!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I sometimes get bored lugging an extra pound when hunting...........take an 870 instead of an 1100.

The main reason I run my 1100's when I do.............is for triples on dove or geese :) Auto helps with that.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I"m assuming a pump gun would be the way to go? or should i be considering semi-autos? I was hoping to spend around $300 to $400. It seems everybody has an 870. I was entertaining the idea if getting something a little less common. Like an entry level Binelli, Beretta, or CZ. Any thoughts on these?

I have have 2 Benelli's, but my first shotgun was a Mossberg 535 (Just my example)and I still use it for Deer, sometimes rabbit, and as a back up waterfowl. I have also owned a Remington 870 express. The change to Benelli wasn't because the Mossberg didn't work well, it was because I found a SBE II NIB for a really good deal and i didn't have a semi auto shotgun at the time. Don't get caught up in the hype, or if you can't help but to then wait and save a little more money to get whats going to make you look good vs. what works best for your situation. Whatever you do, please keep this in mind, if you have to sell a $1,200 shotgun you will lose lets say 25%. If you have to sell a $600 shotgun because you're in a pinch you sell lose 25%……it's up to you to do the math.

At the end of the day if you want to be a savvy buyer, then I'd go to a few competitions and I bet the guys not only let you shoot their shotguns but, they will also tell you why they made the decision that they did....

Good Luck in Your Search!
    :twocents:

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I"m assuming a pump gun would be the way to go? or should i be considering semi-autos? I was hoping to spend around $300 to $400. It seems everybody has an 870. I was entertaining the idea if getting something a little less common. Like an entry level Benelli, Beretta, or CZ. Any thoughts on these?

You can find a used Rem. 1100 for about $400. That'd be good for skeet and trap (though you might want a different barrel / choke setup). As for 3 gun - loading an 1100 is a pain.

I doubt you'll find a Benelli or Beretta for $400. Buy something, try it, learn what you really want then trade for that.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Curious as to why Trap is the last game he should be shooting?

And what is 5 stand?
    Of all the games trap requires the most muscle memory. Take a dedicated trap shooter quail hunting and some
    of them can't hit squat. 3 gun shotgun is typically not all that difficult and is more about speed. If a person shoots 5 stand they develop their overall skills and it carries over better to HD, hunting or 3 gun. It is also an easy and affordable way to practice. The people you shoot with on average will be more laid back. Especially on open to public days or ranges.

Trap requires precision, focus and consistent technique and set range of possible angles. Being able to hit a hand sized disc going away from you at 60mph just does not do a lot in terms of practicing for 3 gun. It tends to appeal to the more anal retentive personalities. Hence the possible tension you may experience at a trap club. On the other hand guys like that won't shoot with people they don't know on their squad.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've only shot on two different trap ranges, never any issues.

Seems to break down in thirds: subgroup of crusties, some indifferent folks, and a fair number of nice ones.
    Show up a few times and don't be a **** and some of those old grumps won't be so bad ;)

For those of thin skin and needing a pat on the arse for every little thing they do..........some of the older style groups might be a bit much.
    Like anything, know your audience.

Be polite, safe and everything will work out.

Yrs ago I met a coworker over by Anderson, Deer Creek IIRC. Not as big a crowd as used to at my home range, but dang if everybody there wasn't super nice.
    Had a great time even if I shot like crap.

Ya just never know, unless you get out and shoot! :)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Seems to break down in thirds: subgroup of crusties, some indifferent folks, and a fair number of nice ones.
    Show up a few times and don't be a **** and some of those old grumps won't be so bad ;)

For those of thin skin and needing a pat on the arse for every little thing they do..........some of the older style groups might be a bit much.

Yrs ago I met a coworker over by Anderson, Deer Creek IIRC. Not as big a crowd as used to at my home range, but dang if everybody there wasn't super nice.

Hookeye gives good advice. I have shot different games in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado and Arizona. I do not look for reasons to be offended. I concentrate on my game. I really have not had much trouble. Most of that time I was heavily bearded and had a pony tail down to the middle of my back. If someone said "tell that hippy (or biker) he is up next". I just went to the line, observed all the normal safety and respect practices, and shot my game. Made quite a few friends too.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Of all the games trap requires the most muscle memory.

Trap requires precision, focus and consistent technique and set range of possible angles.

I haven't had any issues thus far. Some are friendly and will offer their help. Others will watch from afar. And yet others will be rolling on the ground laughing at me. I can get along with all of them.

Oh, and most don't pay any attention to what I am doing as long as I am safe. They are either too busy shooting or talking to one another.

I am my own worst enemy when it comes to the shooting sports. No one is as hard on me as myself. I have to remind myself that I am doing this for fun...

I have received quite a bit of help from an old timer who is almost too old to shoot now but as he has gotten to know me, he knows he can push me a little. One day he walked up to me on the line and said: "If you lift your head up off the stock one more time, I'm going to kick you in the ass!" We both laughed.

Top Bottom