• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm looking at getting my first shotgun. I would like to use it for multi gun, but I would also like to shoot skeet, trap, sport, without getting laughed at(for the shotgun, not my shooting). I'm wondering what my peers use, like, and recommend as well as anything that should be avoided. Any thoughts are appreciated. thanks fellow INGOer's!

Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    As far as people laughing at you choice of gun, there will always be a**holes out there laughing. Like Purdue said, remington, and mossberg are both trusted names.

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I"m assuming a pump gun would be the way to go? or should i be considering semi-autos? I was hoping to spend around $300 to $400. It seems everybody has an 870. I was entertaining the idea if getting something a little less common. Like an entry level Binelli, Beretta, or CZ. Any thoughts on these?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The Mossberg 500/590 would be a good start. You can get different barrels for your needs. The 870 is also a good choice but I like the safety location better on the 500.

For your first shotgun, I'd skip the autos. More money and not as east to change barrels. As for the Beretta, CZ etc, the price goes up quite a bit.

I have 500 with an 18 1/2", 24" rifled and a 28" vented rib barrels. I have bought them all used for a great price (under $30 for each)

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    If $400 is you budget, then look no further than an 870. If you are shooting multi-gun events, then a pump will only get you so far. To step up to an entry level semi-auto, you need to spend around 6-700 bucks. I recommend the Mosseberg 930 JM Pro for an entry level 3-gun semi. Its a fantastic gun that comes with everything you need to shoot matches, skeet, and trap.........all day long. No one will laugh when your busting clays without delays :)

Purdue1000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Kendallville
    If $400 is you budget, then look no further than an 870. If you are shooting multi-gun events, then a pump will only get you so far. To step up to an entry level semi-auto, you need to spend around 6-700 bucks. I recommend the Mosseberg 930 JM Pro for an entry level 3-gun semi. Its a fantastic gun that comes with everything you need to shoot matches, skeet, and trap.........all day long. No one will laugh when your busting clays without delays :)

I agree if $400 is your budget. And if you find a Beretta in that price range let me know I will buy one also.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

You can save up for a more expensive semi-auto but either of those two (both pumps) are a great place to start. Lots of people have one or the other of those two.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I recommend the Mossberg 930 JM Pro for an entry level 3-gun semi. Its a fantastic gun that comes with everything you need to shoot matches, skeet, and trap.........all day long. No one will laugh when your busting clays without delays :)

+2. When I was thinking of trying 3-gun, after much research, this was going to be my choice. Plus no issues shooting Trap with it. A guy where I shoot uses a "zombie killer" shotgun with ghost ring sights, a pistol grip, side saddle, etc. and he does pretty good at Trap with it. Doe he get razzed? Yes, but it's all in fun.

I ended up with a Ithaca pump with a 18" barrel. Probably would do pretty poorly at 3-gun and Trap. lol. Come to think of it, I think it's only good for HD...

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    A pump gun is not "the gun for doubles." A used Remington 1100 for around $450 or a NEW CZ 612 for about the same money. If you should buy a S/A be sure to spend about $15 for a "Dirty Bird" Shell catcher since the snobs on the line with the Perazzis, Kolers, Kreighoffs, ETC don't want their pretty guns dinged with flying hulls.

I sometimes shoot with a guy that has over $20K in his Kreighoff. The butt stock itself was $2800. It is a beautiful gun, but it doesn't shoot any better than an 870 or an 1100. The 1187 is a good one also.. Just trying to keep you under $600. I know you said $400 but you might be a whole lot better if you would save a little longer for a S/A.

I started with a mossberg 500 bantam (I'm an old guy) shooting one eyed and no cheek weld. It beat me up pretty good, then came the 870, and I began learning how to shoot a shotgun, breaking 22 - 23 per round, then I found the 1100, Now I'm breaking 95 - 98 pretty regular.

Sporting clays is harder and there are more snobs affiliated with that venue.

Skeet is way too fast for me right now. And the format is (some say easier since the birds are closer) for me not fun. (Old Eyes)

Good luck in your search for humility, Shotgunning is not easy.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A pump gun is not "the gun for doubles." A used Remington 1100 for around $450 or a NEW CZ 612 for about the same money. If you should buy a S/A be sure to spend about $15 for a "Dirty Bird" Shell catcher since the snobs on the line with the Perazzis, Kolers, Kreighoffs, ETC don't want their pretty guns dinged with flying hulls.

I sometimes shoot with a guy that has over $20K in his Kreighoff. The butt stock itself was $2800. It is a beautiful gun, but it doesn't shoot any better than an 870 or an 1100. The 1187 is a good one also.. Just trying to keep you under $600. I know you said $400 but you might be a whole lot better if you would save a little longer for a S/A.

I started with a mossberg 500 bantam (I'm an old guy) shooting one eyed and no cheek weld. It beat me up pretty good, then came the 870, and I began learning how to shoot a shotgun, breaking 22 - 23 per round, then I found the 1100, Now I'm breaking 95 - 98 pretty regular.

Sporting clays is harder and there are more snobs affiliated with that venue.

Skeet is way too fast for me right now. And the format is (some say easier since the birds are closer) for me not fun. (Old Eyes)

Good luck in your search for humility, Shotgunning is not easy

Thank-you! Rep inbound. I am not shooting anywhere near you as I am sitting around 17 average for Trap. I do like it though and the good shooters make it look easy, but it is not easy for me. I don't have a Trap gun and I'm not going to get one. If I could find a 30" Full barrel for my Beretta AL-2, I would do that but otherwise I will continue to shoot the Beretta.

I would love to be able to hang with the guys shooting their custom high end shotguns but I would feel like a heel if I shot a 17 with a $8000 shotgun. LOL.

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I would ad that my budget can go up to 600, I would just have to wait a little longer. That brings me to my next question. What would be a good way to learn how to shoot a shotgun in various competitions? I have shot pistol comps and I have a few rifles I play with but the shotgun would be new to me and I don't want to assume it's just like the others

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would ad that my budget can go up to 600, I would just have to wait a little longer. That brings me to my next question. What would be a good way to learn how to shoot a shotgun in various competitions? I have shot pistol comps and I have a few rifles I play with but the shotgun would be new to me and I don't want to assume it's just like the others

I see you are in Noblesville. If you are willing to drive to the westside, Marion County Fish and Game has Trap on Thursday nights. It is a great place to begin and you will receive plenty of help from the veterans there. I started at Wildcat Valley on Monday's because that is close to where I live, but they start too early for me to make it.

So now I leave work in Crawfordsville and drive over on Thursdays. Good bunch of people and low key competition. They don't keep score so you will have to do that yourself.

Thursday night Clays has all kinds of shooters. Veteran competition shooters, new shooters, female, male, kids, young and old. Plus they have a meal!

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Cheap arsenal

These are my three shotguns. One relatively inexpensive 870 Express synthetic with 3 barrels. 18" for home,the 26" it came with for the field and a 30" for Thursday nights at MCF&G. No one at the range,not even,"the gun snob", has ever laughed at my gun,my shooting however seems to amuse them a great deal! :)

PS: I have a little less than $600.00 invested in this whole package.

025_zps9048c6d5.jpg

023_zps655e98ca.jpg

029_zps8c0214f1.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    These are my three shotguns. One relatively inexpensive 870 Express synthetic with 3 barrels. 18" for home,the 26" it came with for the field and a 30" for Thursday nights at MCF&G. No one at the range,not even,"the gun snob", has ever laughed at my gun,my shooting however seems to amuse them a great deal! :)

PS: I have a little less than $600.00 invested in this whole package.

Well heck no Vince! You have that nice comb on the stock and you shoot it well!

I trying to get ready to start going again. I have to refinish the stock on mine and it's going slow. I hope to have it done sometime in March.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    If you're thinking about multi-gun, you'll want a semi-auto unless you're going to shoot heavy metal division. You might check out the Stoeger 3000 or the CZ 712 utility. The 930 JM's seem to be hit and miss on reliability. Some seem to function perfectly out of the box and others need a lot of work. Pesonally I would not buy one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    t seems everybody has an 870.

Which should tell you something. If you want to be different, dye your hair, stop eating gluten, and talk about how you heard this band before they sold out. If you want to be serious about guns, run something proven and reliable. When it comes to a "do it all" shotgun, the 870 or the Mossberg 500 are the way to fly. Multiple uses means multiple barrels and chokes. You want a shotgun with a wide array of available barrels and one that's easy to swap out on the receiver. The Mossberg is really quick to barrel swap, plus I like the safety up top. The Remington is the shotgun all other pumps are judged by, and is a very valid option as well.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The only place you will get critical looks for your choice of gun is at trap clubs and trap is the last game you need to be shooting.

I have a Benelli M2 with 26" barrel and +5 mag extension and if I whip it out at a sporting clays or 5 stand course most people want to finger **** it. It is synthetic stocks and park finish but is 20 gauge so catches people's attention. Stick to clays and 5 stand and skeet and no one will care what gun you use. I have a nice looking 21" 1100 that can also do double duty nicely, or I should say triple duty. I use both of these guns for games, clays and hunting. Same goes for a couple of 870's I have.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Find out what fits you that you shoot well. It's a good starting point.
    I have some beautiful shotguns I don't shoot worth a sh... so they just look pretty and gather a little dust occasionally.
    My favorite old shotgun for birds is an A5 Browning, rabbits and quail, Model 12 Winchester, pheasant, I have an old Ithaca 37 that was made for me.
    I can shoot the heck out of an 870 and I shoot the heck out of a Mossy 500 as well. I just have an issue with the second shot on the 870 and 500. I always end up "clicking" on an empty chamber and have to pump again. They're the only guns I do it with so I don't worry too much about MY mechanics on them.
    Shoot a few if you can. MAKE SURE you shoot a few before you buy. They have to fit your build to be the gun for you.

Top Bottom