• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I get to go see a cardiologist week after next. Dr. got the results back from my tests and is somewhat concerned about the findings. Also said it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some O2 handy. Said the lowish O2 sats are making everything work harder and could be slowing any healing.

99 year old grandparent. In an assisted living facility, no visitors or leaving their rooms since March. First reported cases in October, she got it last month. She didn't even know, said it felt like a cold. Two weeks of no drama and she's all clear. She also said that the facility lifted the room quarantine recently. I want the facility to acknowledge that their mitigation policies are a failure and allow us to celebrate her 100th birthday in person next month.

If they made it to October before the first case I'm not too sure I'd call their policies a failure. All it takes is a single employee not doing what they're supposed to and walking in the door with it to cause a disaster. In our county we've had 21 deaths, and 18 of those were caused by just that.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If they made it to October before the first case I'm not too sure I'd call their policies a failure. All it takes is a single employee not doing what they're supposed to and walking in the door with it to cause a disaster. In our county we've had 21 deaths, and 18 of those were caused by just that.
    Very well, perhaps not a total failure. I wouldn't even suspect an employee of not following rules/precautions, simply that the virus is unavoidable. Now that the virus is already in the facility and making its way around despite precautions, why continue to deprive the residents the ability to visit even if it is only for special occasions like birthday/anniversary/etc... Yes, the virus may kill some of them, but so could time. Beyond that, what's the point if you can't spend time you have left with loved ones?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Very well, perhaps not a total failure. I wouldn't even suspect an employee of not following rules/precautions, simply that the virus is unavoidable. Now that the virus is already in the facility and making its way around despite precautions, why continue to deprive the residents the ability to visit even if it is only for special occasions like birthday/anniversary/etc... Yes, the virus may kill some of them, but so could time. Beyond that, what's the point if you can't spend time you have left with loved ones?

I'm assuming there are still people in the facility.and will be new people, that have not yet been infected. Some people are in these facilities temporarily when recovering from illness or surgery and are not anywhere near death. My mother in law lived in an assisted living facility 1st for a few months after a surgery. She later lived in an assisted living facility for 5 years.

It's likely that these residents will be vaccinated within the next few weeks so it doesn't seem like the appropriate time to give up now.

I think if a family wants their older relative to have visitation during the pandemic, the solution is to bring the relative home. That's what my office manager did. Her father is living with her sister and they take turns staying with him within a limited group of people.He wasn't doing well with the restrictions and they felt he was near end of life.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm assuming there are still people in the facility.and will be new people, that have not yet been infected. Some people are in these facilities temporarily when recovering from illness or surgery and are not anywhere near death. My mother in law lived in an assisted living facility 1st for a few months after a surgery. She later lived in an assisted living facility for 5 years.

It's likely that these residents will be vaccinated within the next few weeks so it doesn't seem like the appropriate time to give up now.

I think if a family wants their older relative to have visitation during the pandemic, the solution is to bring the relative home. That's what my office manager did. Her father is living with her sister and they take turns staying with him within a limited group of people.He wasn't doing well with the restrictions and they felt he was near end of life.

Not every family can do this. It has happened inside our family and we are not pleased with the outcome. Poorly managed. To much to describe here just know this is not always the case or is it even possible.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Not every family can do this. It has happened inside our family and we are not pleased with the outcome. Poorly managed. To much to describe here just know this is not always the case or is it even possible.

I agree. But it's also completely unacceptable to put other people in the facility at risk because one family wants to make the choice of open visitations

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Well I went to Fort Wayne Friday with 5 other guys to pick up trucks. One has since gotten pretty sick and is positive and the 3 others are sick as well. I have slight symptoms which I may go get tested for. Slight burn in my chest. Drainage and runny nose. The only one that has no symptoms at all is the oldest guy. About 65. Smokes a lot and says he went home Friday night and got fall down drunk. Says the alcohol probably killed it lol.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    A person showed up where I work that has tested positive. The person had to have gotten it from staff as he's been away from society for over a month. Numerous staff have tested positive prior to this. The information gets passed around ONLY by word of mouth as HR refuses to engage with the little people.

Now, my wife is sick, even though she has been working from home, and took her to get tested. We'll know in up to 5 days. I am having no issues. We had planned on a great Christmas with my daughter and 4yr old grandson but.....

Merry **** ing Christmas indeed. Bah Humbug:xmad:

Bob

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I went to Fort Wayne Friday with 5 other guys to pick up trucks. One has since gotten pretty sick and is positive and the 3 others are sick as well. I have slight symptoms which I may go get tested for. Slight burn in my chest. Drainage and runny nose. The only one that has no symptoms at all is the oldest guy. About 65. Smokes a lot and says he went home Friday night and got fall down drunk. Says the alcohol probably killed it lol.

somebody was telling me that alcohol and nicotine kill this thing. Which makes a lot of sense since the only people that seem to not get sick are the ones the drink and chew.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Brother in Law popped positive. He is sick. My 1 year old nephew is sick as well. So much for those Christmas plans. I ruined Thanksgiving so only right my sister takes out Christmas.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I agree. But it's also completely unacceptable to put other people in the facility at risk because one family wants to make the choice of open visitations
    And there in is the real issue.

Wife works in LTC. Her campus (both skilled care and assisted living) was negative since March.

Back in October they allowed indoor visitation, in the lobbies of each entrance. Supposed to be no contact, mandatory masks... at least half of the visits had to be "Karen'ed" to follow the rules. Several multiple times. The town and surrounding area is "COVID-denier" and "masks don't work" country.

Within 2-3 weeks, the entirely predictable occurred, COVID positive residents and staff, and the visitations were shutdown. Daily announcements of new positive cases. About a third of the staff caught it, two hospitalized, one recovered the other ICU/vent/fatality. About half of the residents caught it and 13 died from COVID, one non-COVID death during the 6 week period of regaining control, which is the norm/average in non-COVID times. Several residents still hospitalized with COVID.

Sister campus had much the same experience, similar resident fatalities and a staff (plus her spouse) fatality. All three of the staff/spouse fatalities were 45-55 yos. Roughly half of the resident fatalities were on the healthcare (nursing home) side, varying levels of care, maybe a little more than half. Roughly half, maybe a little less, WERE NOT. This does not only kill those "barely hanging on".

IMO, "protecting the vulnerable" does NOT include inviting the virus to walk through the front door... because that is the only way it gets in.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Day 7 since first symptoms for me. I pretty much feel normal. Little tired but my body aches are gone. The brain fog is something I'm dealing with now.

Wife and kids still no symptoms!!! Let's hope it stays that way.

The worst part has been being shut up in my room. The kids and I are playing games online which is kinda fun. But not being able to hug and kiss my wife really sucks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife works in LTC. Her campus (both skilled care and assisted living) was negative since March.

Back in October they allowed indoor visitation, in the lobbies of each entrance. Supposed to be no contact, mandatory masks... at least half of the visits had to be "Karen'ed" to follow the rules. Several multiple times. The town and surrounding area is "COVID-denier" and "masks don't work" country.

Within 2-3 weeks, the entirely predictable occurred, COVID positive residents and staff, and the visitations were shutdown. Daily announcements of new positive cases. About a third of the staff caught it, two hospitalized, one recovered the other ICU/vent/fatality. About half of the residents caught it and 13 died from COVID, one non-COVID death during the 6 week period of regaining control, which is the norm/average in non-COVID times. Several residents still hospitalized with COVID.

Sister campus had much the same experience, similar resident fatalities and a staff (plus her spouse) fatality. All three of the staff/spouse fatalities were 45-55 yos. Roughly half of the resident fatalities were on the healthcare (nursing home) side, varying levels of care, maybe a little more than half. Roughly half, maybe a little less, WERE NOT. This does not only kill those "barely hanging on".

IMO, "protecting the vulnerable" does NOT include inviting the virus to walk through the front door... because that is the only way it gets in.

Not to argue with your outcomes. This is pretty regular across the board. There is a line we need to draw I agree.

The issues come when we can not see loved ones. Spend what might be their final days with them. Being robbed of that time. It is a seriously depressing situation.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Day 7 since first symptoms for me. I pretty much feel normal. Little tired but my body aches are gone. The brain fog is something I'm dealing with now.

Wife and kids still no symptoms!!! Let's hope it stays that way.

The worst part has been being shut up in my room. The kids and I are playing games online which is kinda fun. But not being able to hug and kiss my wife really sucks.

Might sound kinda stupid, but some day your kids will be telling their kids about the time dad had COVID and played games with them online during his quarantine. As much as it may suck to have it, at least the memories being made during recovery will last a lifetime. Glad you’re feeling better

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Not to argue with your outcomes. This is pretty regular across the board. There is a line we need to draw I agree.

The issues come when we can not see loved ones. Spend what might be their final days with them. Being robbed of that time. It is a seriously depressing situation.

It is... it absolutely is...

To keep them safe, physically, is mentally devastating. To the residents, to their families and to the staff who have a deep affection for their residents.

The attempt for anything remotely approaching even a hint of "normal" has the devastating results above throughout the resident/staff community... but they had to try.

So my wife has the double-whammy. Due to her job, she cannot leave the state without a 2-week unpaid work quarantine. So she only gets to "visit" my dad and her mom via phone and video while I can travel for the through the glass (hard not to think of prison visitation) visits.

It is all very depressing.

Top Bottom