• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would say that the exterior safety could be a bad option for a first gun. I agree 100% that carrying a pistol outside of a holster with one in the pipe is not smart; any pistol. An external safety is not a panacea. I've seen more than a few times, a safety bumped off without the person carrying expecting it to be off. An exterior safety should not be justified, because the pistol is somehow safer. A gun is always loaded. A finger is always off the trigger until their sights are on the target.

What an external safety does do, is require one more thing for a new gun owner to train and master to put their gun in action. It is something that if fumbled could be deadly to themselves.

I totally agree with you. My carry gun has a nifty little safety on it that is NEVER used. As soon as I can afford it, it will no longer be part of the gun. Your finger is the ultimate safety.

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    I know you said 800 as a price, but dont forget Taurus as a first time guns, they are cheap and reliable. You could get a new Taurus for under 400 easy. Also, as some others have said, look at ammo costs before you buy. $12/50 for 9mm and $20/50 for .45...its adds up fast. When you first get a gun you will want to shoot a lot, hence you will buy a lot of ammo. If you can not get yourself to go with a .22, look at 9mm. With the proper ammo a 9mm can be a great self-defense weapon and also a cheaper range gun. If you want to spend the money, buy Sig, you wont be disappointed. I own a P229 .40 and it brings me joy just to look at it.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I own a PT145, to me it was the best decision I could have made. I have put alot of rounds through it and have not had any problems. It is very easy to break down and clean. Like any other subcompact .45, it does have a little kick to it, but it is dead on accurate. It has a lifetime warranty and honestly I could not ask for more. The only downfall is it comes with Heine 2-dot sights. If you want three dot sights, check out the Taurus 24/7. It comes with a little more ergo grip and has factory three dots. I strongly recommend checking it out.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    In the line of double stack .45 with an SA/DA hammer as opposed to the striker, the FNP-45 is an awesome deal. You should be able to get one for right around $500, which leave you $300 for a nice holster and ammo. Right now they have a deal going on, if you buy any FNP they'll send you a free holster with a 2 mag belt pouch and a training barrel. I bought an FNP-9 (16+1) in December and love it so far. I bought it when their free holster deal wasn't going on, but I called the number on their website, and talked to not one, but three humans! I love HK, but you won't be getting that kind of service from them. After talking to them, they sent me a free shooter's pack even though the offer wasn't going on when I bought it or when I called. Top notch! I'm left handed, so I got a very nice form fit leather holster from Gould & Goodrich.

indy11bravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well first I want to thank everyone for the vast amount of advice. definitely some good things to think about. To comment on a few things put out...
    I do have some handgun training, Ive played with the M9 :rolleyes: a bit and received decent instruction on safety, marksmanship, correcting malfunctions etc. I have had my hands on glocks, xd40's, a bersa 380 and a few others. So my interests in the previously mentioned weapons is a bit more than what looks pretty on the web.
    Also, 800 is more my ceiling than anything else. If I can find something i like for less, all the better, if its a little more, thats fine too.
    As for .45, A. I like the bang factor. I cant help but grin when i fire one. B. You cant deny its stopping power. C. I have some pretty large beaters, the .45s seems to have a nicer feel in my hands. Ill also echo what others have mentioned. 7-8 rounds of .45 is more than sufficient for anything Ill need. Should I need more, well, lets just say fate will have more of a role in my survival than if I have a couple more rounds in my magazine.
    Anyway, just wanted to elaborate a bit on decision making process. I appreciate the input put out so far, and keep it coming.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Buy what feels good to you and for the purpose you intend to use it. If you are not familiar with a certain gun seek guidance before buying. Also may gun shops now rent guns to try out. I love my Kimber 45, but I can't say I would recommend it to a first time handgun buyer.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'd go with a Ruger MKIII for a first handgun. No?

Then if you really like the .45, screw it, and get a 1911. There are a lot of good ones out there, and a lot of bad ones too.

The Lebanon Sheriff has an intro to defensive handgun class that is great. The guy also teaches the basic Gunsite courses, so he knows his stuff.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is the usual procedure for first time handgun buyers.
    First: buy a gun based on internet advice, how it looks, how it feels in your untrained hand, or "stopping power."
    Second: spend a lot of money on ammo practicing bad habits
    Third: get frustrated and - FINALLY! - get some professional instruction
    Fourth: realize that the first gun you bought was wrong, stash it away in the safe to rarely ever be shot again, or possibly trade it in for something more appropriate
    Fifth: Get a more appropriate gun, but of course still in a duty/defense caliber
    Sixth: Practice a lot, making some progress, but only slowly and at great expense because you're using a caliber with expensive ammo and a lot of flash/recoil/muzzle flip so you are still reinforcing bad habits
    Seventh: FINALLY break down and get an approrpriate TRAINING/PRACTICE gun - which will most likely be a .22
    Eighth: Get more professional instruction, and practice a lot with your .22, finally start developing some serious shooting skills
    Ninth: Go shopping for a bigger caliber handgun the third time, now finally knowing what you are looking for.

I keep suggesting this alternative procedure:
    First: go get some professional instruction
    Second: buy a handgun that is optimal for TRAINING, LEARNING, and PRACTICE (hint, hint: .22)
    Third: practice a lot, sprinkling in a bit more instruction to reinforce the good habits, and also sprinkling in some "trial" shooting of a wide variety of more powerful caliber handguns
    Fourth: go buy a more powerful caliber handgun and get the right one the first time
    Fifth: every time you go to the range, shoot 75% of your rounds with the .22 and only 25% with the more powerful caliber.

The second procedure will make you a better shooter a lot faster.

Many will say, "but then he's stuck defending himself with a .22 if something happens in the mean time." Maybe, but he's a lot better off being a good shooter with a .22 than a guy thrashing around with a big gun and marginal skills.

What new shooters usually do not realize - it is not about the gun. It is about your shooting skills.

A :+1: to Antsi.

He Makes good points.

I am surprised no one has asked the basic question: What do you want the gun for?

If you plan on plinking away, that could make a difference.

If you want it to carry for personal protection, that will make a difference.

If you want to go hunting, what kind of game?

You get the idea. Share what it is you want the gun for and what you are planning to do with it and that will help folks better assist you.

Just my :twocents:.

Doug

indy11bravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Noblesville
    Ok again, appreciate all the input. To answer the poster above, why I am in the market. I guess its a combination. First, its mainly to exercise my 2nd amendment right. I do plan to have it for personal protection, and carry it when i feel necessary. I will train with it also, ie range time etc. So kind of a multi purpose role.

Top Bottom