• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I went through this same process last year. I narrowed it down to a Ruger American Rimfire and a CZ 457 Scout. I ended up buying the Ruger first, because it was cheaper and I liked the magazines better, plus the modular stock seemed like a good idea so both my 6'5" self and my kids could enjoy the same gun. I ended up being pretty happy with the gun after a little polishing and deburring, but it's a bit ammo picky to achieve it's best accuracy.

Then I found a good deal on a 457 and bought it. It's accurate with everything from bulk pack to SK Match, but the factory sights were crap and had to be removed and the holes plugged. Then I couldn't find magazines for the longest time, and I still like the design of the Ruger rotary mag much better. I fixed the length of pull issue for the time being with a slip on butt pad, but at some point I'd like to find a full-size 457 American stock for it.

Both are very quiet with the supressor, and I've been using Winchester Super Suppressed 45gr ammo with good results. Now that I have them both set up, if I could only keep one I'd keep the CZ as it's a slightly nicer rifle, but the Ruger isn't bad either. I currently have a scope mounted on the CZ for precision stuff and Tech Sights on the Ruger for a trim, handy, iron-sighted setup, so each kind of fills it's own role.

I also have a dedicated .22 AR build on a CMMG barrel and bolt to scratch the semi-auto itch. It has been superbly reliable, even with the subsonic stuff. The only thing I've found that it won't cycle is CCI Quiet, but that stuff is only running about 700fps and it's not surprising that it doesn't have enough oomph to cycle the gun.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    @Max Volume just purchased one as a suppressor host after shooting, i believe, @actaeon277 suppressed savage at the last NWI Meet and Shoot
    Thanks. I will look into this.

Yes. Max tried out my savage, Mark II FV-SR
    Comes threaded

It has to be a bolt (or lever) gun so you can really get the full experience of how quiet it is.

View attachment 320718

Yes.
    If you put a suppressor on a semi-auto, like a 10/22, some of the sound in the chamber/barrel will escape out the receiver as it cycles back.
    Whereas by the time you manually cycle the bolt, the gas is done escaping out the suppressor.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    When I worked in a gun shop I always recommended the savage mk II FV-SR it like a mini sniper rifle, heavy barrel, oversized bolt, threaded barrel I always said it’d make a great suppressor host

I never thought I’d get a can, so I bought a ruger precision rimfire, heavy barrel, oversized bolt, free floating, m loc rail…and I can honestly say…if I’d known I was going to buy a suppressor…I’d have bought the savage!

I have a savage mark 2 but it’s not threaded and it’s more accurate and less expensive than the ruger!

Top Bottom