Not open for further replies.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Went out mushroom hunting today, spent about 4 1/2 hours out in the woods. Got excited from all the social media posts of folks finding them all around the southern part of the state but found nada. The earliest we've ever found morels in our woods is April 14th.

I did find 2 paper documents with addresses from Sheridan, Indiana. And this random piece of metal roofing.
    20230408_152136.jpg

I also found some new blow downs (why I didn't think to take pics I don't know). Well over 100' of harvestable firewood if I can get to it. Two well over 28" DBH and very straight. They went down just when they started to bud so I'm not sure what they are, most likely Maples.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Hoping to cut a little today. Need just a little to keep the house comfortable with these 30 degree nights. Build a fire at night only and shut the boiler down in the morning
    Found a huge oak that came down in the wind and I will start cleaning that up.. I too didn’t get pics. Go figure!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The gardener hasn't found any morels so far this year either, even in spots that are pretty regular. Recovery has confined me to the yard, but I was out looking in the fringes of the woods.
    Well, that makes me feel better (a little). But are we late? early? what? My regular spots have been dry as well.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I had a good year in 2021 (photo below), but last year was terrible. It seems to vary wildly. This photo was taken right after harvest, on April 18th !
    I'm going down to the cabin today, and hope to find something..... we'll see.

i-TsCvqMs-L.jpg

Last edited:

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Well, that makes me feel better (a little). But are we late? early? what? My regular spots have been dry as well.
    This year is off. I found a black freshly popped in grass along a road side yesterday. Found dried up yellows in a holler today. Usually the blacks are done when the yellows are up.
    Weirdest year I've experienced with mushrooms I've ever seen. Found 4 yesterday growing in cracks of a shelter house.

Attachments

• KIMG0832.JPG
      KIMG0832.JPG
      487.9 KB · Views: 6
    • KIMG0836.JPG
      KIMG0836.JPG
      364.9 KB · Views: 6

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I went out yesterday and picked a load of wood and went around in the woods and found NONE…. Dropping one tree today and it will be the last I hope until fall cutting starts.
    I try to cut in the summer but usually too busy. If the guys don’t turn the field next me I will cut and just drag it over to my property and make a pile!
    On third shift again and it just has my brain and sleep schedule all messed up..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom