Not open for further replies.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We finally went out and got some saw & split therapy after what seems like months. The OG split and stacked some walnut that we picked up from a friend who was trying to get it out of her yard after someone else had cut the tree down. She also split some red oak that had fallen down a year ago and we had all but given up on. The outside was punky but the inside was great, a lot of work but it will do well in the stove.

This only had the back row before she started.
    20230226_151419.jpg

20230226_151340.jpg

We had to stand up the splitter to get that piece broken up.
    20230226_151356.jpg

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I went back a sledge and wedges for those big pieces. I've got a 3 pt splitter for my tractor but haven't used for a couple of years as when I start moving the big stuff around I usually end with a very sore back. I've been wanting to build a lift out of an old Hoyer lift but haven't found the time to do it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This wind is bringing trees down, going to be a busy spring.
    I’m still logging out from last spring’s blow downs. I milled one log yesterday and pulled 6 more out of the woods. I’ve only had a couple of new so far this spring. Firewood up to the eyeballs though. Getting rid of it is the hard part.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I’m still logging out from last spring’s blow downs. I milled one log yesterday and pulled 6 more out of the woods. I’ve only had a couple of new so far this spring. Firewood up to the eyeballs though. Getting rid of it is the hard part.

Been picking up some more ground, but it's trashy. Shanty demo work and chasing out the drug bums.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Been picking up some more ground, but it's trashy. Shanty demo work and chasing out the drug bums.

We've got similar issues out in our neck of the woods. Hoping the Meth Shack goes up for sale so we can buy it and burry it. There's currently a large spot light sitting in a lawn chair on the roof. Don't think the Mrs. and the kids are there anymore, but he's been busy. We're not much for unpredictable behaviors so we keep a watchful eye.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    as when I start moving the big stuff around I usually end with a very sore back.
    That is the very reason we stick with poles no more than 22 to 24 inches in diameter. Even at 16" some of those hardwood rounds can be a couple hundred pounds. We don't flip the splitter from horizontal to vertical very often, but this lady needed some help and the wood will be great this coming winter (we're past winter now, right?).

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Was up to my place in Michigan this past weekend. I've got hundreds of dead oak of every size. Three summers of oak worm killed most of my oak. Wish it was closer. I'd give it away.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Got out today and cut a hickory and blue ash up. Looked around for more saw food and was surprised to find no new blow downs from last week's wind.

I did cut a hickory with the top blown out from earlier in fall and hung in another tree. It was falling perfectly until the other tree it was hung in steered it into a cherry and lodged.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Docs told me today that firewood work would be a no-go for about 2 months after surgery so #2 son will help the gardener in my temporary absence. They tell me that I'll be much more energetic when I'm healed up, but I don't feel slow now.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Docs told me today that firewood work would be a no-go for about 2 months after surgery so #2 son will help the gardener in my temporary absence. They tell me that I'll be much more energetic when I'm healed up, but I don't feel slow now.
    Prayers for healing and complete recovery! Did you share what was wrong.. understand if you don’t want to. Tim

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Hopefully, this was my last day cutting, splitting, and stacking for 2023.
    5b5c0ac610aefe7f0289b59921baa1f0.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom