• ...and so much more!
  • El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Here I am sitting in my tree stand on opening morning of muzzleloader season with my old Knight muzzleloader with iron sights. I have a couple of encore muzzleloaders and an encore with a smokeless muzzleloader barrel on it. All already sighted in. But last night when I was getting ready I thought I am taking the Knight, my longest shot where I am sitting today is 75 yards.
    Anyway, good luck to anyone out hunting this weekend and be safe.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    If I really wanted to be nostalgic I guess I could have broken out the Hawken. But there is a threat of rain this afternoon and I remember the days back in the early 80’s hunting with a side lock in the rain with the misfires

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    No offense intended, but nostalgia and smartphone don't seem to go together when I think of deer hunting. It does make me smile. Good luck and I'm glad to see that folks are still out there to harvest venison.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    No offense intended, but nostalgia and smartphone don't seem to go together when I think of deer hunting. It does make me smile. Good luck and I'm glad to see that folks are still out there to harvest venison.
    You know that’s funny you say this because I was just thinking this earlier. I got my first buck in 1982 and was thinking how times have changed over the years. Here I am years later passing the time in my stand looking at a little device that can connect me to about anywhere in the world. What is it going to be like 40 years from now? Not that I will be around to see it but my grandkids will.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    You know that’s funny you say this because I was just thinking this earlier. I got my first buck in 1982 and was thinking how times have changed over the years. Here I am years later passing the time in my stand looking at a little device that can connect me to about anywhere in the world. What is it going to be like 40 years from now? Not that I will be around to see it but my grandkids will.
    Forty years from now you will still be around, just a custom AI running on the grand-kids 'phone'. They can 'call' and talk to you anytime. Be sure to make enough recordings of you so the AI will be as good as possible! :-)

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Lots of remedies for cap locks...wax, cows knee, etc.
    I only own a few black powder muzzleloaders so I am far from an expert on the subject. But somehow this is the first time I have heard of a "cows knee". I looked it up and its exactly what it sounds like. Looks like a good solution, thanks for the info !

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When I started, I was reading books. Last few years I’ve shot something within an hour or two of opening light.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Muzzle loaders aren't as finicky as people think if handled correctly. I use flintlocks often. Took my last deer with a custom Hawken in the rain with no problem. Cows knee helps or keep it under your arm/coat.

Shot the woods walk at Friendship last year in the rain. 20 shots over an hour or so. I used the Hawken but 2 others used flintlocks. We had no misfires at all.

Don

Top Bottom