• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Oct 6th: DOJ makes emergency appeal to SCOTUS regarding Judge Reed O'Connor's Sept 14th Preliminary Injunction (that replaced his order vacating the rule in its entirety).

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/23/23A302/284301/20231005153709151_23a Application Garland v. Defense Distributed.pdf

Oct 6th: Samuel Alito issues temporary stay of O'Connor's Prelim Injunction effective until Oct 16th (Monday) (ten calendar days).
    VanDerStok et al. have until Oct 11th (next Wednesday) to reply to the DOJ emergency appeal. The order itself is one short paragraph. Based on what Alito did before with the application to stay Reed O'Connor's vacating the rule in its entirety, I suspect he is referring this to the entire court. Alito's stay is a very short paragraph.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/100623zr_986b.pdf

How does this currently affect those selling 80% frames/receivers, and fixtures/jigs for them, at least until 5 PM Oct 16th?
    Not certain yet. Looking now, but it's something anyone can do going to sites of online 80% frame/receiver sellers and checking their status regarding sales and shipping. This all hit last night. I expect the online sellers are dealing with it and doing what they need to do this weekend. They have a turn-around time on changing their web sites.

Regarding any prediction on the outcome of this emergency appeal, keep in mind they're dealing now with a District Court's Preliminary Injunction to preserve status quo from irreparable damage, not a final order vacating the entire rule. That makes it quite different and much more likely SCOTUS will tell DOJ to go away.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Two reply briefs opposing DOJ filed today per SCOTUS order . . .

From Defense Distributed:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/23/23A302/284765/20231011170008191_Defense%20Distributed%20Response.pdf

From Blackhawk Mfg dba 80 Percent Arms:
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/23/23A302/284701/20231011140812230_2023.10.11%20BlackHawk%20SCOTUS%20Response_FINAL%20-%20to%20file.pdf

SCOTUS Docket with minute entries for it is 23A-302 (where I found the two briefs above):
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/23a302.html

I've not read them yet. No comment yet. Stay tuned . . .
    :coffee: :popcorn:

BigNyaKelly

Coffee Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2023
    Worcester
    I've been following this case forever and I just can't understand it - it seems like this rule goes back and forth more frequently than I change songs on the radio!!! This and the SBR case are messing with me haha

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    From SCOTUS at close of business today:
    Application (23A302) to vacate injunction presented to Justice Alito and by him referred to the Court is granted. The September 14, 2023 order of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, case No. 4:22-cv-691, is vacated.
    No rationale. No dicta. That's it. That's all there is. Just the order itself. No word on what the vote was. If I were to take an educated guess, it would be what the last one was.

The Fat Lady hasn't sung yet. They're only arguing over Preliminary Injunctions. The case will roll onward in the District Court and eventually the 5th Circuit. This only affects the VanDerStok case.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Seems each Justice added by Trump was less a Constitutionalist than the last.
    Yeah, it's weird. Everything I heard about ACB made me think she'd be the best one yet, but she turned out to be the worst. Meanwhile I had some serious doubts about Neil Gorsuch when he was nominated, but now he about seems to be the best of the three. Not that I was very well educated on the matter, so...

Well, hopefully they'll make the right decision in the end, which is what matters most.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah, it's weird. Everything I heard about ACB made me think she'd be the best one yet, but she turned out to be the worst. Meanwhile I had some serious doubts about Neil Gorsuch when he was nominated, but now he about seems to be the best of the three. Not that I was very well educated on the matter, so...

Well, hopefully they'll make the right decision in the end, which is what matters most.
    Shall I dare say it? That they are, wait for it, conservative in their rulings? :lmfao:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Shall I dare say it? That they are, wait for it, conservative in their rulings? :lmfao:
    Yeah, I can't really complain too much, overall. The Supreme Court is doing a lot more for the American people right now than the other two branches of government, to put it mildly.

ACB still ticked me off with some of her votes on suits pertaining to forced "vaccinations." :xmad: But I guess that's a topic for another thread...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Joking aside I do not want justices ruling prematurely like we complain about the left, if they do rule against when it is their decision then let them have it.

It is frustrating that the left doesn’t follow constitutional order…

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Joking aside I do not want justices ruling prematurely like we complain about the left, if they do rule against when it is their decision then let them have it.

It is frustrating that the left doesn’t follow constitutional order…
    I can't blame you for thinking that way, in fact I respect it.

Me, I've given up all care about principle at this point. We're never getting back to being a country that cares about law and order and respect for the proper process, so just give the left a taste their own medicine, I say.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I was the opposite. Kavanaugh and ACB were both more CoC types, as jamil would say. I read things about ACB especially that made me leery of her.

Top Bottom